Fordmods Logo

Anyone know if this MSD coil will fit EB-ED 6cyl? 

 

Page 1 of 1 [ 15 posts ] 

 
 Post subject: Anyone know if this MSD coil will fit EB-ED 6cyl?
Posted: Mon Aug 16, 2010 7:49 pm 
Parts Gopher
Offline

Posts: 51

Joined: 29th Apr 2010

Location: Melbourne
VIC, Australia

Will this coil work with the I6 in a ED? Says will plug into factory loom but the connection looks different.

Image

More info here. Fair price?

http://cgi.ebay.com.au/ws/eBayISAPI.dll ... K:MEWAX:IT
Top
 Profile  
 
 
 Post subject: Re: Anyone know if this MSD coil will fit EB-ED 6cyl?
Posted: Tue Aug 17, 2010 7:52 pm 
Parts Gopher
Offline

Posts: 51

Joined: 29th Apr 2010

Location: Melbourne
VIC, Australia

Well I can't get a reply from the seller so his lost my business.

Anyone from here know if I have to modify the coil loom to fit this, or even if it suits a EB-ED I6?
Top
 Profile  
 
 
 Post subject: Re: Anyone know if this MSD coil will fit EB-ED 6cyl?
Posted: Tue Aug 17, 2010 9:27 pm 
Getting Side Ways
Offline
User avatar

Age: 33

Posts: 2282

Joined: 14th Jan 2005

Gallery: 8 images

Ride: ED Fairmont Ghia & EF XR8

Location: Melbourne
VIC, Australia

that looks very much like a v8 coil. its been a while since ive had a look at an i6 coil but im pretty sure they have an electrical connector that very much resembles that found on a fuel injector.

 

_________________

Image

Top
 Profile  
 
 
 Post subject: Re: Anyone know if this MSD coil will fit EB-ED 6cyl?
Posted: Tue Aug 17, 2010 10:10 pm 
Parts Gopher
Offline

Age: 26

Posts: 83

Joined: 13th Dec 2009

Ride: au II ute, 63' xl falcon ute

Location: geelong
VIC, Australia

nannas_ed wrote:
they have an electrical connector that very much resembles that found on a fuel injector.


ill second that.had to change mine the other day

 

_________________

au II ute, cam, mild porting/xr6 head, headers and zorst

63' xl falcon ute, engineered 302w, cam, heads, straight gas, built c4, xp disc brake front, lotsa fun (:

Top
 Profile  
 
 
 Post subject: Re: Anyone know if this MSD coil will fit EB-ED 6cyl?
Posted: Tue Aug 17, 2010 10:22 pm 
Getting Side Ways
Offline
User avatar

Age: 28

Posts: 3374

Joined: 11th Mar 2008

Ride: EA SVO, AU2 Forte

Location: Bendigo
VIC, Australia

wrong connector

 

_________________

Daily driver: AU2. 5 speed. 19" FG luxos. Full exhaust. Lowered. AU3 XR leather interior, converted to full power windows. 3.45 LSD. IN THE FUTURE: Tickford 6
Weekend driver: EA SVO AU motor. Built BTR. TCE 2800 stall. T76 turbo. Locked diff. On E85. approx 320rwkw. 11.5 @121mph

Top
 Profile  
 
 
 Post subject: Re: Anyone know if this MSD coil will fit EB-ED 6cyl?
Posted: Tue Aug 17, 2010 10:31 pm 
Oompa Loompa
Offline

Age: 33

Posts: 23

Joined: 14th May 2010

Ride: el falcon

Location: young
NSW, Australia

im not sure about this coil but a msd blaster ss can be fitted.
heres the link.

ford-4l-and-6-cylinder-f1/msd-coil-fitted-to-i6-t86698.html?hilit=msd coil on i6
Top
 Profile  
 
 
 Post subject: Re: Anyone know if this MSD coil will fit EB-ED 6cyl?
Posted: Wed Aug 18, 2010 8:59 pm 
Parts Gopher
Offline

Posts: 51

Joined: 29th Apr 2010

Location: Melbourne
VIC, Australia

Yeah, reading through that thread, the wiring has been modified to fit. Looks like this is what you'd have to do to fit this MSD coil in question. You'd have to cut off an injector plug with a bit of wire from a wrecker, and make an adaptor loom of some sort. This way, if you have to go back to the factory coil, it'd be easy. The American MSD site has an adaptor loom for this coil to fit the factory Mustang 5.0 loom.

eBay seller sent message saying that he is investigating the matter.

Have had a enough of the Bosch factory coil playing up and thought I'd try a reputable aftermarket brand to see if things improve. But want to be able to go back to factory if I'm forced to.

Is there an better than factory coil for E-Series I6 distributor set up that is plug in?
Top
 Profile  
 
 
 Post subject: Re: Anyone know if this MSD coil will fit EB-ED 6cyl?
Posted: Wed Aug 18, 2010 11:55 pm 
Tyre Shredder
Offline
User avatar

Posts: 326

Joined: 12th Jun 2010

Ride: EL Fairmont

Location: Central Highlands
QLD, Australia

870-cse wrote:
Yeah, reading through that thread, the wiring has been modified to fit. Looks like this is what you'd have to do to fit this MSD coil in question. You'd have to cut off an injector plug with a bit of wire from a wrecker, and make an adaptor loom of some sort. This way, if you have to go back to the factory coil, it'd be easy. The American MSD site has an adaptor loom for this coil to fit the factory Mustang 5.0 loom.

eBay seller sent message saying that he is investigating the matter.

Have had a enough of the Bosch factory coil playing up and thought I'd try a reputable aftermarket brand to see if things improve. But want to be able to go back to factory if I'm forced to.

Is there an better than factory coil for E-Series I6 distributor set up that is plug in?


Have you tried relocating the ign coil too the strut tower, will last alot longer. I can post up a pic if you want....Also bad ign leads can cause ign coil failure...

All you need to do is extend the loom and mount the coil where ever you want. Although I found a good spot below the strut tower which still allows the use of the short factory coil lead. All of the 6cyl e-series saloon race cars mount there ign coils on the side of the strut tower...

 

_________________

Current ride 2007
ML GLX Dualcab Triton 4x4

Top
 Profile  
 
 
 Post subject: Re: Anyone know if this MSD coil will fit EB-ED 6cyl?
Posted: Thu Aug 19, 2010 2:58 am 
Getting Side Ways
Offline
User avatar

Age: 49

Posts: 6467

Joined: 18th Dec 2006

Ride: 93 ED sedan

Power: 161 rwkw

Location: Rockhampton
QLD, Australia

I fitted an ICE ignition system to my ED. I used an old EL ign coil, and cut the plug off it, to make an adapter onto the original wiring harness......works well.

 

 

Attachments:
IMGP3970.JPG
IMGP3970.JPG [ 458.71 KiB | Viewed 136 times ]

 

_________________

http://youtu.be/jJTh9F3Vgg0

Top
 Profile  
 
 
 Post subject: Re: Anyone know if this MSD coil will fit EB-ED 6cyl?
Posted: Thu Aug 19, 2010 9:12 pm 
Parts Gopher
Offline

Posts: 51

Joined: 29th Apr 2010

Location: Melbourne
VIC, Australia

EL___Fairmont wrote:
Have you tried relocating the ign coil too the strut tower, will last alot longer. I can post up a pic if you want....Also bad ign leads can cause ign coil failure...

All you need to do is extend the loom and mount the coil where ever you want. Although I found a good spot below the strut tower which still allows the use of the short factory coil lead. All of the 6cyl e-series saloon race cars mount there ign coils on the side of the strut tower...

Yes for the photo. But I'm more interested in how you extended the loom? Did you cut the original plug off?
Top
 Profile  
 
 
 Post subject: Re: Anyone know if this MSD coil will fit EB-ED 6cyl?
Posted: Thu Aug 19, 2010 9:21 pm 
Parts Gopher
Offline

Posts: 51

Joined: 29th Apr 2010

Location: Melbourne
VIC, Australia

cjh, interesting ICE system. Does the coil have a plug for the +/- wires, or is it a terminal type connection? The latter would be easier to do keeping the factory loom as is. Get an injector plug, extend the wires and add terminals to the other end. Done.

ps: What is that cylinder above the coil that looks like an older type coil? Part of the ignition system?
Top
 Profile  
 
 
 Post subject: Re: Anyone know if this MSD coil will fit EB-ED 6cyl?
Posted: Thu Aug 19, 2010 9:54 pm 
Getting Side Ways
Offline
User avatar

Age: 49

Posts: 6467

Joined: 18th Dec 2006

Ride: 93 ED sedan

Power: 161 rwkw

Location: Rockhampton
QLD, Australia

870-cse wrote:
cjh, interesting ICE system. Does the coil have a plug for the +/- wires, or is it a terminal type connection? The latter would be easier to do keeping the factory loom as is. Get an injector plug, extend the wires and add terminals to the other end. Done.

ps: What is that cylinder above the coil that looks like an older type coil? Part of the ignition system?


The cylinder thingy is an air compressor for the air horns.
The ICE coil has just 2 terminals, like old style coils....but it is also connected to the 7amp module too.....its not just the coil....thats inside, out of the elements......and it made the torque curve flatter.

 

_________________

http://youtu.be/jJTh9F3Vgg0

Top
 Profile  
 
 
 Post subject: Re: Anyone know if this MSD coil will fit EB-ED 6cyl?
Posted: Sun Aug 22, 2010 7:49 pm 
Parts Gopher
Offline

Posts: 51

Joined: 29th Apr 2010

Location: Melbourne
VIC, Australia

UPDATE: Today I bought and installed a Bosch coil (Pt No. 0980AG0700). After speaking to a couple of mechanics and a performance shop earlier in the week, the new Bosch coil is apparently very, very good. Best part is it comes with an extension loom so now my coil is mounted on top of manifold. Nice and easy to get to.

Also changed ignition module on distributor. What a pain in the a*** that was. Had to remove distributor completely to access the bolts. Discovered the distributor and module were some no name brand, the 3 spade terminals on the module were rusty, and inside the dizzy was rusty too, broken plastic bits floating around, wiring inside looked ugly. Now I need to get a new distributor as I'm not going to leave it like that. Then, the fun begins again trying to swap dizzys. Think I'll fork out for a Bosch unit, unless there's something of equal or better quality for a lower price.

Plus side, the XG runs smooth, didn't miss a beat for the two test runs I've done so far.

Thanks for your help guys.
Top
 Profile  
 
 
 Post subject: Re: Anyone know if this MSD coil will fit EB-ED 6cyl?
Posted: Sun Aug 22, 2010 7:59 pm 
Tyre Shredder
Offline
User avatar

Posts: 326

Joined: 12th Jun 2010

Ride: EL Fairmont

Location: Central Highlands
QLD, Australia

I wouldn't put the coil near the fuel injectors on top the inlet manifold. Fuel vapour from a leaking injector and spark equals BANG!!!!!!!!

 

_________________

Current ride 2007
ML GLX Dualcab Triton 4x4

Top
 Profile  
 
 
 Post subject: Re: Anyone know if this MSD coil will fit EB-ED 6cyl?
Posted: Sun Aug 22, 2010 8:54 pm 
Oompa Loompa
Offline

Age: 33

Posts: 23

Joined: 14th May 2010

Ride: el falcon

Location: young
NSW, Australia

i definatly get the bosch distributor, i seen a few of the aftermarket ones (pariticualy ace electronics) strip the auxillary shaft gear in less than 20,000km
Top
 Profile  
 
Display posts from previous:
Sort by  
 Page 1 of 1  [ 15 posts ] 

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 15 guests


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot post attachments in this forum

 

 

It is currently Sun Dec 17, 2017 6:29 am All times are UTC + 11 hours

 

 

(c)2014 Total Web Solutions Australia - Australian Web Hosting and Domain Names