Fordmods Logo

Anyone not bother with the ISC? 

Page 3 of 4 [ 47 posts ] Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Posted: Thu Apr 21, 2005 3:57 pm 
Getting Side Ways

NSW, Australia

uglybob wrote:
if i'm not mistaken, your car should run with the ISC disconnected, as you are meant to bump the base idle up so that the car runs with it off... so if its stalling without the ISC on, that'd mean the base idle is set too low... yeah? :?

Sounds about right to me :)

Posted: Thu Apr 21, 2005 4:43 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 3 images

Ride: BA MkII XR6 Ute

VIC, Australia

just tried this in my car, disconnected ISC, (on an I6 AUTO) and car immediatley stalls, wont hold an idle at all. usually i have no idle problems, hunting etc.

would this mean i should adjust my base idle higher?

We'll keep our cow s**t in the country, you keep your bull s**t in the city.

Posted: Thu Apr 21, 2005 5:04 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 13 images

Ride: EFII Fairmont

WA, Australia

tomcolahan wrote:
just tried this in my car, disconnected ISC, (on an I6 AUTO) and car immediatley stalls, wont hold an idle at all. usually i have no idle problems, hunting etc.

would this mean i should adjust my base idle higher?

Put it this way. If I had no idle issues and no hunting idle and stuff. I wouldn't mess with it. Don't fix what is not broken. :P

But. On the flip side to that coin. The car should be able to run with ISC disconnected. Driving an auto around with it disconnected is strange because when you want to reverse, you put the auto in reverse and the car almost doesn't move until you touch the accelerator. The revs are that dead. Very still and smooth. But that's just something you notice because it's a new way of driving your E car.

Posted: Thu Apr 21, 2005 5:10 pm 
Technical Contributor

Gallery: 8 images

Ride: '95 EF's

WA, Australia

i'm having chronic issues with the idle quality on mine, due to the fact that i've got a stage 2 crow cam... will disconnecting the ISC solve the 'hunting' which i keep getting? is there any associated risks by not having the ISC connected? i can't think of any, but i'd rather not risk any just in case :?

R.I.P. Scotty

Posted: Thu Apr 21, 2005 5:15 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 37 images

Ride: V8 EF Futura

SA, Australia

uglybob wrote:
i'm having chronic issues with the idle quality on mine, due to the fact that i've got a stage 2 crow cam... will disconnecting the ISC solve the 'hunting' which i keep getting? is there any associated risks by not having the ISC connected? i can't think of any, but i'd rather not risk any just in case :?

Well it's not too big a drama to try it out Fraser. Necessity the mother of invention etc etc.

But the idel quality of your car is likely to be caused by the lower-than-normal (and fluctuating) vacuum at idle, thanks to Mr Lumpy Cam.... a speed density (MAP) system will add fuel as the vacuum falls... your idle issues are likely to be a result of a rich condition.

No risk in disconnecting it. If it stalls then you've got no power steering or power assist on the brakes... but both these functions are overrated :wink:

I vote "give it a try"!

I promise..... I will never die.

Fordmods Administration Group MINOR PUNKED

Posted: Thu Apr 21, 2005 5:26 pm 
Technical Contributor

Gallery: 8 images

Ride: '95 EF's

WA, Australia

cheers mart - i figured as much - i'd just rather not risk anything if there was any known issue that could be caused, especially with the cam etc.

lol and yes - the thing is running rather rich as you know - i'd gas someone in an enclosed space within seconds i reckon! :?

R.I.P. Scotty

Posted: Thu Apr 21, 2005 8:41 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 3 images

Ride: BA MkII XR6 Ute

VIC, Australia

Kit wrote:
Put it this way. If I had no idle issues and no hunting idle and stuff. I wouldn't mess with it. Don't fix what is not broken. :P

But. On the flip side to that coin. The car should be able to run with ISC disconnected. Driving an auto around with it disconnected is strange because when you want to reverse, you put the auto in reverse and the car almost doesn't move until you touch the accelerator. The revs are that dead. Very still and smooth. But that's just something you notice because it's a new way of driving your E car.

thats what ive been thinking all afternoon. if i start messing around with it murphys law says i will go from a nice idle to a s**t one...

it is quite interesting driving the auto without ISC, especially when it will not hold any sort of idle... have to concentrate much more on it, ended up stalling it a few times, but quite enjoyable really.

i dont think i will go adjusting base idle for now, just dont want to muck around when it is working, but one day if i get bored, it would be good to be able to drive it without the ISC sometimes...

We'll keep our cow s**t in the country, you keep your bull s**t in the city.

Posted: Fri Apr 22, 2005 1:05 am 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 4 images

Ride: EL Futura

SA, Australia

I p****d my ISC off ages ago. The car is so much nicer to drive with it off, being a manual. It's great to have the revs drop when i back off for gear changes.

I have bumped up my base idle, but the car still stalls when cold (takes about 60 seconds to warm up) and stalls a bit with the air con on.

I just wonder what the cops will say when the pop the bonnet and see a loose plug.

5 Speed EL Futura
Stock as a rock*
A1 Oils - Synthetic lubricants: www.a1oils.com.au
* A rock that has been Alted

Posted: Fri Apr 22, 2005 1:16 am 
Getting Side Ways

WA, Australia

I was just wondering what the insurance companies would think if you got into a prang (not your fault). The ambo's carried you off to hospital, and you didn't have the chance to get into the engine bay to plug the ISC back in.
Would they pay up?? :?

Posted: Fri Apr 22, 2005 1:20 am 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 4 images

Ride: EL Futura

SA, Australia

Kit wrote:
I was just wondering what the insurance companies would think if you got into a prang (not your fault). The ambo's carried you off to hospital, and you didn't have the chance to get into the engine bay to plug the ISC back in.
Would they pay up?? :?

"It must of popped off from the force of the accident Mr Insurance Assesor" hehe

5 Speed EL Futura
Stock as a rock*
A1 Oils - Synthetic lubricants: www.a1oils.com.au
* A rock that has been Alted

Posted: Fri Apr 22, 2005 12:18 pm 
Getting Side Ways

WA, Australia

Still driving mine disconnected. A couple of cool mornings too and hasn't stalled once. LOL it actually feels like I'm driving a real car. I like the sound so much I start it when I'm out of the car, she comes to life. Then the revs instantly drop down and idles like a car should sound.
Only concern is so far. I'm worried the lowish revs at each startup aren't allowing the engine to go into the initial 2 minute or so diagnotic mode at 1600 revs. :?:
Although, on the flip side again, I never liked the idea of the engine hitting 1600rpm 1st thing every morning anyway. Especially when most of the oil has gone into the sump over night.
Which brings me to oil changes. I hate it when you drain the engine of oil. Then fill her up, start her up and shes instantly winds right up to 2500rpm for about 3 seconds from lack of pressure. That can never be good. Might be the equivelant of the engine doing 10,000kms right after an oil change.

Posted: Sat Apr 23, 2005 12:38 pm 
Parts Gopher

Ride: AU Fairmont Ghia

QLD, Australia

I was about to head down to the wreckers and grab a $10 ICS for my sisters EF... if anyone here has one lying around they want to get rid of let me know. Must in good working order of course and must be off EF/EL (as EA to ED have different voltages).

Posted: Sat Apr 23, 2005 1:02 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: Supercharged EF Fairmont

VIC, Australia

EA-ED ones are different sizes.

EF one is same voltage.

EF ECUs also have a habit of burning out the ISC control circuit.. so check that too.

Posted: Sat Apr 23, 2005 5:10 pm 
Smokin em up

Ride: Ed falcon

NSW, Australia

If you have played with your base idle it will hold revs with ics connected it should stall manual or auto when dissconected. I have the bbm conversion in my ED using the EL manual ecu though with a dev3hl cam and dosn't give me any grief only when i played with base idle i was having problems.

Neil

HSV I JUST BEAT ONE !

AFF 05 NSW DYNO DAY STATE CHAMP

Posted: Sat Aug 20, 2005 11:48 pm 
Parts Gopher

Ride: ef

VIC, Australia

Hi to all.

I do agree that the idle speed controller is programmed wrong on the ef falcon.

The reason the idle speed hangs up is to promote less harmfull pollutents from the tailpipe.

I only just aquired an ef wagon and honestly i dont like the way it works.

My previous car to this was a 1992 eb 4 litre wagon and this also used an isc motor.
The isc works perfectly on these models.

the primary job of the isc motor is to balance the idle speed between park position and drive position. also to sense air con loads and electrical loads as well as power steering loads.

I only had my ef for 1 week and i did the following to fix it.

replaced the ecu with a 1992 eb auto ecu.

pulled the coil pack out and refit a distributor , everyhting else seems to be the same with the exception of a couple of plugs , that are molded differently . i also reinstalled the vehicle speed sensor from a eb falcon.

the car now behaves exactly as a eb falcon.

cool.

Sort by  
 Page 3 of 4  [ 47 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next