APS air intake 

Page 1 of 2 [ 22 posts ] Go to page 1, 2  Next

Post subject: APS air intake
Posted: Fri Mar 09, 2007 10:33 am 
Stock as a Rock

Gallery: 6 images

Ride: BA XT 6

ACT, Australia

I've been looking around at options for making my BA NA XT6 breathe better and I came across the APS intake where it takes air from under the headlight. I had a look at the unit (physically) and it is f**k big and quality stuff.

I'm wondering if it will actually fit under the headlight coz theres a thin metal pipe for something that runs behind there on the XT. (as this thing is designed for an XR6T I dont know if its the same setup behind the headlight on the XT)

I was given the price of $440 for this APS product. Does this sound right?
I went to Ford dealership to get the price of the typhoon 2nd intake (under headlight again) and they told me for just the short bit of plastic tube that is the 2nd intake cost $170 or something....And if I wanted the bottom airbox assembly to accomodate the 2nd air intake its $197 on top of that... W.T.F! These were quoted for individual items, not the set. It doesn't sound right.

Hmmm, reading back at this this is more of a rant.. But anyway, what I want to find out is if the price of the APS intake sounds right...and also, will it actually fit in an XT?

Posted: Fri Mar 09, 2007 3:05 pm 
Smokin em up

Ride: Custom Bedford, 79 Firebird

WA, Australia

Having never seen in action, nor used the APS product I cannot really specify on it. However, I have installed the F6 CAI, which is essentially the same as the APS system, except it is hard but flexible plastic. it is a tight fit under the headlight, so I would figure the APS system is tight also.

Hopefully someone else out there has the APS system?

In terms of price, APS i have no idea. the ford parts, well over priced.
Go onto ebay, there is a bit of a battle for the two available currently, wait a couple of days for the next one, or there is a site you can just buy now. you can get the bottom of the airbox and the F6 CAI for $120, or that plus a bigger standard snorkel for $170
http://cgi.ebay.com.au/FORD-BA-BF-KIT-f ... dZViewItem

thats for the $170 one, just look at other items from the seller. Or wait for the next auction for the others. you'll save a small fortune. In my opinion the F6 CAI was well worth the money. I had recently made some minor customisations that needed that F6 CAI to REALLY take advantage. Now it ROARS.

See how you go mate, the APS version does look good, if you want to get it feel free! If it works out well, let me know and I may have to invest myself!

Wrecking BA lots of parts available Pictures and prices here
3 Decks with stackers PRICE DROP

Posted: Fri Mar 09, 2007 3:36 pm 
Stock as a Rock

ACT, Australia

Cool, thanks for that I'll look into that as well.

The APS intake has a huge gob and completely closes off the original snorkel so all air is from under the headlight.

I dont know if this (APS) makes much if any difference at all from having the two intakes (typhoon setup) but just from this minor thing of solely taking air from a cooler source has got me seriously interested in it.

The only thing worrying me is that the thing wont fit.
I dont suppose anyone with an XT has the APS intake? If so, please share :D

Posted: Fri Mar 09, 2007 6:33 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: No Fords current

TAS, Australia

Brother has SS Induction CAI snorkel, the 2nd CAI off the F6 Typhoon and K&N air filter on his. And he's happy.

Posted: Fri Mar 09, 2007 6:56 pm 
Stock as a Rock

ACT, Australia

I hear that the SS inductions CAI kit can close up on itself when it gets too hot. Dont know how true that is but has anyone had anything like that happen to them?

I do notice that the top of the stock snorkel I have at the moment starts to droop a bit.

Posted: Fri Mar 09, 2007 7:04 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: No Fords current

TAS, Australia

jonnnnno wrote:
I hear that the SS inductions CAI kit can close up on itself when it gets too hot. Dont know how true that is but has anyone had anything like that happen to them?

I do notice that the top of the stock snorkel I have at the moment starts to droop a bit.

Well he has a XR6T running at 14psi, I'm willing to bed it's a fair bit hotter than your XT... 1 year and so far no dramas.

Posted: Fri Mar 09, 2007 7:14 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: fairmont

QLD, Australia

aps products are expensive,but u pay for quality and it does work, u can make your own 2nd cai cheaply these days anyways

Now i have a EF XR8 5spd.........mmmmmm 5L

Posted: Fri Mar 09, 2007 7:41 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 1 images

Ride: 2003 BA XT

Power: 141 rwkw

WA, Australia

You can get the typhoon intake for $175 from one of our sponsors here, that's what I plan to do.

Apparently it's better then the SS induction system, according to apc.

Posted: Fri Mar 09, 2007 8:49 pm 
Getting Side Ways

TAS, Australia

jonnnnno wrote:

they curve inwards. buckle, warped what ever you wanna call it.

Mind f**k!!! it works on feeble minded ignorant sheeples... there's plenty of em on this site... some are very intelligent but by god they are so thick!!!

Pakrat wrote:
You can buy them seppertly

Posted: Mon Mar 12, 2007 1:54 pm 
Stock as a Rock

ACT, Australia

Finally got off my a*** and bought the APS intake. It Looks bigger everytime I see it :)

pics to come.

Post subject: Cold Air Intake
Posted: Mon Mar 12, 2007 3:47 pm 
Fordmods Newbie

ACT, Australia

You guys mentioned a sponsor of this forum sold the Typhoon air intake for $175, which sponsor was that?

Thanks!

Posted: Mon Mar 12, 2007 3:58 pm 
Stock as a Rock

ACT, Australia

I believe that would be Bayford
http://stores.ebay.com.au/Bayford-Parts

Posted: Tue Mar 13, 2007 12:36 pm 
Stock as a Rock

ACT, Australia

Here are some pics of the APS intake install, thought I'd share. Used a pair of tin snips, small detail grinder and a drill. The fit is really tight under the headlight and had to bend down whatever the thin metal pipe is that runs behind there. Also had to move the 2 chunky wire looms.

Took me bloody 4 hours all up to cutting and installing the thing. It cost quite a bit and I probably could have had a custom jobby done but I'm still very happy with it in the end.
$440 for the intake seems to be a reasonable price for this peice as another place quoted me $495.

Attachments:
APS intake.jpg
APS intake.jpg [ 67.32 KiB | Viewed 128 times ]
Airbox.jpg
Airbox.jpg [ 76.69 KiB | Viewed 112 times ]
Box + intake.jpg
Box + intake.jpg [ 72.14 KiB | Viewed 125 times ]
Inside box.jpg
Inside box.jpg [ 69.29 KiB | Viewed 161 times ]
Intake mod.jpg
Intake mod.jpg [ 84.07 KiB | Viewed 100 times ]

Posted: Tue Mar 13, 2007 2:50 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 1 images

Ride: 2003 BA XT

Power: 141 rwkw

WA, Australia

You can get the typhoon intake + xr6t snorkle kit from ferntree on here for 175 + postage...

But yeah, that looks nice, is it duel intake though?

Edit: Just had a lookie, that pipe looks like aircon, and those wires look like part of the loom for the ecu.

Posted: Tue Mar 13, 2007 3:09 pm 
Stock as a Rock

ACT, Australia

Nope, not dual intake, had to cut out the protruding bit of pipe for the normal snorkle, but the mouth is much wider.
I think the idea behind this is that it will only take air from under the lights which will just about always be cooler than anything coming from the snorkle....I'm guessing.

Sort by  
 Page 1 of 2  [ 22 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next