Fordmods Logo

ARE EXTRACTORS WORTH IT? 

Page 1 of 2 [ 25 posts ] Go to page 1, 2  Next

Post subject: ARE EXTRACTORS WORTH IT?
Posted: Wed Mar 11, 2009 7:42 pm 
Stock as a Rock

Ride: EL FAIRMONT

WA, Australia

are extractors really worth the moola you have to fork out for them.

im looking to put some pacie TRI-Y's on the I6

but? can i expect a noticable change in my torque range?

and also i see like $200 extractors on ebay. these for example

http://cgi.ebay.com.au/FORD-6CYL-EA-EB-ED-EF-EL-AU-EXTRACTORS-HEADERS-NEW_W0QQitemZ270355703525QQcmdZViewItemQQptZAU_Car_Parts_Accessories?hash=item270355703525&_trksid=p3286.c0.m14&_trkparms=66%3A2%7C65%3A1%7C39%3A1%7C240%3A1318

has anyone used these before? and gotten a respectable power increase? or am i just buying a few bent pipes that dont really do much?

BTW im looking for a good respectable torque increase and economy...also provide a nice note once paired up with the 2 1/4" system.

plus im a STINGE!!!! so bargains people

cheers

Post subject: Re: ARE EXTRACTORS WORTH IT?
Posted: Wed Mar 11, 2009 8:09 pm 
Tyre Shredder

Ride: AU series 1 XR6

SA, Australia

well ive never heard of that brand hence i cant say anything about them
your better off (im sure someone will contradict me) waiting and looking around for a good set of second hand ones. go for a 2.5" outlet even with the 2.25" system all you have to do is put a different flange on (easy as) but with the 2.5"s you wont have to upgrade later. as far as i know none of the good brands sell 2.25"

i would recommend JMM or pacemakers or maybe lukie there are others

pacemaker are probably the best but you pay for it i personally have got JJM race series on my car i picked them up second hand for $220 inc postage interstate off of ebay

i would allmost confirm that JMM would better than those others

as for value for money well dont expect a huge increase but for around $200-300 it will probably be the best increase

DONT FORGET with any full length extractors like those you need to cut the cat down and re weld

also look at getting a cat back exhaust if you get extractors redback ones are available on ebay for about the same price

hope this has helped

Last edited by djcustomcomputing on Wed Mar 11, 2009 8:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Posted: Wed Mar 11, 2009 8:12 pm 
Tyre Shredder

SA, Australia

ohh there is one thing thats probably better value for money

get a BA filter box and flexi tube
fits with minimal banging of a useless bump and just glue the ba flexi to ur flexi allready there
i had good improvements for that $50 mod

LOOK AT MY BUILD THREAD FOR SOME PIX

link below

Posted: Wed Mar 11, 2009 8:30 pm 
Stock as a Rock

Ride: EL FAIRMONT

WA, Australia

yeh i have already fitted an AU XR intake from filter to throttle.

decent increase for $40

and i replaced the filter with a FRAM panel filter.

fairly decent.

why a BA box.

i was under the impression that EF airboxs were among the best? something like 27% better flow than that of the AU box

Posted: Wed Mar 11, 2009 8:35 pm 
Tyre Shredder

SA, Australia

have a look at my build thread there r sum pix
the BA filter is bigger I THINK but the main difference is the outlet tube
the BA doesnt taper down near the box

Posted: Wed Mar 11, 2009 9:05 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 27 images

Ride: 1995 EF Fairmont

New Zealand

The EF/EL airboxes can easily be modified to have a bigger outlet so i wouldnt worry about the BA airbox. I think it may be a little bit bigger but you'd get stuff all increase in changing it.

Are extractors worth it? Depends, if you are looking at modding the engine a fair bit, i.e cam, headwork, intake than id say yes definately worth it. You need them to free up the breathing as the stock manifold doesnt flow too well compared to a set of mandrel bent pipes so they will help in the long run.

For the money you dont get a hell of a lot of an increase with the stock exhaust, a few kilowats more at the treads maybe. Combine it with a 2.5" cat back and it'll sound nice, have a bit more up and go and you'll gain a bit of fuel economy if you drive sensibly. Possibly about 10-15 kw more at the wheels with headers and 2.5" exhaust?

I found with my Coby extractors (exact same design as JMM race series) and 2.5" Rage exhaust that the car pulls a lot harder in the midrange-top end 2500-5500 but feels very much the same off the line. Best bang for buck mod that will give you a noticeable change in torque or torque delivery will be a cam regrind and will benefit from a extractors and exhaust so you will get a very decent gain.

Money Talks, But All Mine Ever Says Is Goodbye
EF Fairmont - EFF111 Build Thread

Posted: Wed Mar 11, 2009 11:31 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: Falcon EF GLi

WA, Australia

KWIKXR wrote:
The EF/EL airboxes can easily be modified to have a bigger outlet so i wouldnt worry about the BA airbox. I think it may be a little bit bigger but you'd get stuff all increase in changing it.

Are extractors worth it? Depends, if you are looking at modding the engine a fair bit, i.e cam, headwork, intake than id say yes definately worth it. You need them to free up the breathing as the stock manifold doesnt flow too well compared to a set of mandrel bent pipes so they will help in the long run.

Agreed :)

EF2 Fairmont Ghia. AU2 engine running EF gear. Intake, exhaust, injection etc; 8" rear stockies with 265/50R15 rubber. Shiftkitted auto, J3, custom grille and dash cluster and lots of other useless crap...

Posted: Wed Mar 11, 2009 11:54 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 8 images

Ride: BFII Turbo

Power: 253 rwkw

VIC, Australia

you would feel more of a difference out of a set of 3.45 diff gears (the xr6 ratio).

you can pay anywhere between 300-600 for a set installed depending on what you pay for the set of gears. sometimes you can spring a set off ebay (2nd hand) for 1$50-$200, but you have to be lucky. budget on $300 or so for a professional instal, a lot less if you have a friend who is handy with a spanner. If you havnt got an LSD center, its a good time to get one of them put in as well.

shopping around and getting the bargains could see an lsd center with 3.45's on it put in for as little as $700 or so, going to a diff shop could see that as high as $1000-1200, but with 100% garaunteed work.

the thing to keep in mind is you speedo will then be out, but all you need is xr6 speedo sender that goes from the gearbox to the dash iirc. all these parts are readily available from ebay and/or ford wreckers.

if you want great sound, but with same bottom end, noticable midrange and top end increase, get a set of headers, hi-flow steel core cat, and a 2.5 inch mandrel bent exhaust with one main muffler and a front resi.

if you want some more punch off the line, better midrange torque feel and marginally increased top end, get a set of 3.45:1 ratio diff gears.

The exhaust doesnt give better fuel economy until the engine is given a tune, as the increase in the diameter of the header flange where the O2 sensor is is wider, and the gas is less dense. this gives a slightly low reading to the 02 sensor, which gives the ecu the green light to increase fuel load. every car ive ever put extractors on has run rich afterwards. (note only ecu controlled cars :P)

personally id get the diff first. that way when you do get the exhaust down the track you have the punch off the line to back up the tough as tits sound. because a set of extractors and larger pipe is a sure bet that every d***head in a holden will wanna play.

enough isn't enough

Posted: Thu Mar 12, 2009 9:36 am 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 21 images

Ride: 98 EL Futura

Power: 199 rwkw

VIC, Australia

Any extractors will be better than the standard manifold, if your not going to do anything else to your car you would be best going with somthing cheap. Because most extractors will be very similar in power on a stock engine.

EL Futura: CVE head, Wolf V500, ICE Ignition and Coil, 36lb injectors, Walbro 255lb, Paci comps, 3" exhaust, T5, Harrop Truetrac with 3.9s. Now with 198.9rwkw, (~185rwkw and 13.80 @99.1mph) with more power to come

Posted: Thu Mar 12, 2009 12:52 pm 
Tyre Shredder

Gallery: 5 images

Ride: R33

Power: 142 rwkw

NSW, Australia

I was thinking the same thing not to long ago, but i bit the bullet and got some Pacemaker 4480's
on my car last friday... and f**k did it make a difference, its quieter down low, sooo much smoother and it hammers redline now, and makes a veryyyy nice noise... deffently worth it.
Note that i already had a 2.5 pipe on it before.

R33 GTS-T - 222.6rwkw
EF - 142rwkw

Posted: Thu Mar 12, 2009 3:02 pm 
Parts Gopher

Ride: XH XR6

NSW, Australia

So extractors might make mine quieter down low??

i've got 2.5 cat back at the moment and i love the voice of it around 2500 to 3000rpm.

i wanna keep that and preferably increase the sound down low and above, extractors wouldn't do that??

If it's got tits or wheels, it'll give you hell!!!.....

Posted: Thu Mar 12, 2009 4:30 pm 
Stock as a Rock

Ride: EAII Ghia & AUII Fairmont

VIC, Australia

I've heard conflicting info about the sound after fitting extractors. All I know is after fitting mine, it made it quite a bit louder. It's added a bit of performance but I'm hoping when I fit my new cam, it should really make an even bigger difference.

1990 EAII Fairmont Ghia
Platinum Silver - 5 speed

EL engine, BBM, SVO wheels, Sprint kit, Scorcher front bar, XR lip, EF handles, mirrors & fuel flap, 2.5" exhaust, pacemaker extractors and high flow cat, serpentine conversion, AU rocker cover, heaps more

Posted: Thu Mar 12, 2009 6:15 pm 
Tyre Shredder

SA, Australia

i agree when i fitted mein it was louder all along the rev range and it fixed the dead spot around 1500-2000

Posted: Fri Mar 13, 2009 5:09 pm 
Tyre Shredder

Gallery: 5 images

Ride: R33

Power: 142 rwkw

NSW, Australia

mine fixed the deadspot everywhere lol, yeah i dont know.. its deffently quieter down low, but its still loud as...
i dont have any mufflers in my system so im happy its a little bit quieter lol

R33 GTS-T - 222.6rwkw
EF - 142rwkw

Posted: Fri Mar 13, 2009 5:44 pm 
Tyre Shredder

SA, Australia

no mufflers lol :lol:
as for power increases
well my car stock on the gtech which scores lower than a dyno because it factors in air resistance
got about 95rwkw today i got 120rwkw all ive done is listed in my sigi i dont have the coil pack on though

so basically thats a 25 rwkw gain from the intake and exhaust (the cat back and the k&n dont give much power) so all the 25rwkw is from the extractors cat and the BA filter box

im quite happy with that

Sort by  
 Page 1 of 2  [ 25 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next