Fordmods Logo

AU 2/3 4.0L Head and lifter gear onto ED 4.0L Block 

Page 1 of 1 [ 5 posts ] 

Post subject: AU 2/3 4.0L Head and lifter gear onto ED 4.0L Block
Posted: Fri Oct 31, 2008 9:13 am 
Getting Side Ways

SA, Australia

Hi Guys.

i have a blown head gasket in my ED Fairmont 6 cyl and sure as anything a warped or cracked head as well after tuesday when it overheated at the front of my mechanic uncles place when we put something in it to fix it tempory.

what i want to know is will a complete AU2/3 head with cam and lifter gear fit my ed block and what will the compression be like after.

can i use my ed top cover or do i have to buy a au top cover too.

i know the au head gasket will fit the ed block but want to know if the complete au head with gas cam and liftyer gear will fit the ed block along with au head gasket.

can i use a gas au cam with the au2/3 head.

will a gas cam be the same price as a normal au cam or will it cost more.

will a au cam work with a ed timing chain.

just need to know so my mechanic uncle can put it on.

thanks

Posted: Fri Oct 31, 2008 9:36 am 
Stock as a Rock

Ride: el falcon

WA, Australia

hey man, i just finished slapping an el hybrid head on my ed which is much the same as an au head, to answer your questions yes the timing chain is fine, yes you will need an an ef- au rocker cover unless you want to do a dodgy job and cut the ed rocker cover gasket around the half moon peices at the front and back as they dont fit correctly,
as for the cam whatever you choose to run you must run an au cam as the rocker rations for au and ed are different (one is 1.8 to one and one is 2 to 1 i cant remember which), it is very important you have the au rocker gear bolted up, ppl say you can run ed rocker gear with ed cam rocker gear ect on an au head but to be honest i mocked mine out n the lifters werent getting full contact with the valves so yer, i wouldnt recomend it ey.
why do you want a gas cam? id say it will be fine, if ur gona get anything send it to wade n get some sort of regrind

only 2 things should come in a 2 litre, milk and juice

Posted: Fri Oct 31, 2008 10:58 am 
Getting Side Ways

SA, Australia

i was just thinking of getting the facillities for lpg conversion later thats all but but if a normal au cam will be fine for gas then ill go with that.

thanks for everything

Posted: Tue Nov 04, 2008 12:16 am 
Getting Side Ways

SA, Australia

hi guys.

also i have coolant leaking around the head and im wondering if its the head/gasket.

also ive read troymans page and these are things i know on putting au engine into a ed with ed manifolds.

use ed manifolds and engine mounts
use distributor
use either 3 belt or 1 belt
shave the front sump and front timing cover if using 3 belt and itll bolt straight on and modify alternator bracketsif using 3 belt.

use xh tensioner if your using 1 belt with ed manifolds.

is that correct. if not please anything

is it cheaper to stay 3 belt as i just had my aircon regassed or is it cheaper to go 1 belt and get it gassed again.

Posted: Tue Nov 04, 2008 12:47 pm 
Getting Side Ways

SA, Australia

I have an au head on my ef and it pings its a*** off even on 98 fuel. I know its not an ed botom end but its the same anyhow.
Im only saying thats what happened to my motor, all motors accept changes differently.

165 Killer Wasps all packaged in a green kmart car, almost an explorer in a way...

Sort by  
 Page 1 of 1  [ 5 posts ]