Fordmods Junkie

Ride: Kia Rio - 1.4L Auto

Power: 238 rwkw

VIC, Australia

fritzz wrote:
arm79 wrote:
fritzz wrote:
arm79 wrote:
I have both styles of crank girdles in my garage now, which were purchased from Ford. Which ever way you try, they both do not physically do not fit. I have tried.

um well i have a early single piece au girdle on my el right now, and there was no problems fitting it at all. just needed the au bolts.

I had the AU bolts.

And which girdle, top or bottom?

the top one,

I would like to know how you did it. The sump would not sit properly at all with that girdle on there.

Unless you modded the girdle. :wink:

Posted: Mon May 21, 2007 1:10 am 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: el falcon

Power: 608 rwkw

WA, Australia

all i did was put it on with au bolts and bolted the sump on. it didn't touch the sump so i didn't mod anything

# 1997 EL Falcon GLI - 600+rwkw

# 2008 FPV FG GTE - Xa Coilovers, 20x8/ 20x10 Fairladys

Posted: Mon May 21, 2007 3:09 pm 
Smokin em up

VIC, Australia

OK i just dropped into a different Ford Dealer and encountered a more competent parts interpreter...

BA girdle and windage tray ordered. Roughly $30. Will require mods to allow for E-series oil pump location.

EA SVO Fairmont Ghia - Recaros, Bilsteins, Sunroof, SVO rims and body kit, Genie headers, DBA rotors. T5 steeda triax short shifter. 3.27 lsd. (EL 4.0 ported/polished, rebuilt and balanced, Dev5 cam. J3 chipped EL ecu, AU injectors).

Posted: Mon May 21, 2007 11:11 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: BA Falcon XR8

WA, Australia

So from what i can tell from all the posts, the one piece girdle (as pictured above) will fit my EL main caps as long as i use AU main bolts and going by what Fritz says, i shouldn't have any hassle fitting the sump back up again.

Would i be correct in saying this?

Also, what does the windage tray do and will i benifit from fitting one in conjunction with the AU one-piece girdle?

Posted: Tue May 22, 2007 12:45 am 
Smokin em up

WA, Australia

I trial fitted the one piece AU girdle and from the quick fitup it seems the bolts for the rear 3 caps DO foul the sump. I think sump modifications will be required.

Turbo 6s rule

Posted: Tue May 22, 2007 12:59 am 
Getting Side Ways

WA, Australia

By how much do the bolts not fit into the sump? How much would the sump have to be manipulated to accomodate the extra length of the main bolts?

Posted: Tue May 22, 2007 1:09 pm 
Smokin em up

WA, Australia

just roughly it was only something like 5mm but I only played with it for a few minuites. I think I will be cutting that section of the sump out and putting a flat sheet in there to get the room. I am still hoping to get some studs in there

I think it is a little bit beyond a hammer job but could be wrong.

Turbo 6s rule

Posted: Tue May 22, 2007 9:23 pm 
Getting Side Ways

WA, Australia

don't know what happened with mine then, i even used plasticine on the close areas and the closest part was over 2mm away when fully bolted down.

Posted: Tue May 22, 2007 9:31 pm 
Getting Side Ways

WA, Australia

Hmm, strange! Oh well, i'm going to have an engine on a stand so it's not as if it's going to be inconvenient if the sump doesn't fit, i'll just have it cut up and modified.

Posted: Tue May 22, 2007 10:09 pm 
Getting Side Ways

WA, Australia

why do you need a girdle anyways fordman, u going turbo?

Posted: Tue May 22, 2007 10:20 pm 
Getting Side Ways

WA, Australia

No, not going turbo just yet. I have bought a slightly wrecked EL Fairmont Ghia with all the Tickford goodies. I'm going to put the engine on a stand and strip it all down and have the crank balanced and de-burred and while im at it have the block chemically cleaned and machined.

I'm going to build an engine, which at the moment will be naturally aspirated, but i'm taking the 'overkill' aproach, by installing a few trick bits and pieces to make the engine nice and tough and more suited for performance instead of having a garden variety 4.0L . And at only $40 for the stud girdle and AU main bolts at $2.75ea, it can't hurt to give the engine (be it minimal) a bit more rigidity and support.

Posted: Thu May 24, 2007 3:26 pm 
Smokin em up

VIC, Australia

OK i picked up the BA girdle and windage tray yesterday arvo. They are spot welded to each other. The girdle appears to be the same as the AU one piece girdle. Its only a few mm thick.

I can categorically state the following:
The bolt pattern is the same across all series (EA-BF)
The tray fits in the EF sump (just laying it in there).
The BA oil pump location is different and would need to trim the tray for fitment into E-series.
It will not fit an EF block due to the different height in the main caps. The height of the caps may be lopnger in an AU (hence the longer main bolts). There is a ~5mm gap under the girdle at the point where the tray bottoms out on the centre highest point of the EF main cap. You could use spacers and this would work fine. Or you could chop out the area above each of the main caps (tedious).
Sump will not sit home and would require mods to clear as discussed.

This part *might* be an easier fit into an AU block/sump but you would still have to trim it for the AU oil pump location.

I'll just use it as a template on the mesh i bought the other day before i thought of doing this.

HTH everyone.

EA SVO Fairmont Ghia - Recaros, Bilsteins, Sunroof, SVO rims and body kit, Genie headers, DBA rotors. T5 steeda triax short shifter. 3.27 lsd. (EL 4.0 ported/polished, rebuilt and balanced, Dev5 cam. J3 chipped EL ecu, AU injectors).

Posted: Fri May 25, 2007 1:47 am 
Smokin em up

WA, Australia

why dont you use both the one piece AU with the spacer and on top of that sit the BA girdle with the windage tray (modified with a bit of it cut out). You will need longer bolts and modify the sump. Just a suggestion.

I think this mod is more for engine smoothness than engine strength IMO

Turbo 6s rule

Posted: Fri May 25, 2007 10:28 am 
Smokin em up

VIC, Australia

Thats a good sugestion! Initially i thought just mill up some spacers and completely forgot the AU girdle already has them.

I was just thinking of mounting the tray in the sump as it would have the same effect on windage but not rigidity. Bearing in mind in the combo i am building its just a quick streeter, not forced induciton.

I also agree on your point regarding strength. IMO that girdle is too thin to provide the kind of rigidity you would normally expect from a girdle (in a V8 application anyway). Doing a double girdle as you suggest would be interesting. I have no issue chopping the sump.

They should have made the mains more like in an RB30, or even possibly made the pan rail deeper so the caps sit deep. I think they kind of short cut things when they decided to cross bolt the mains through the sump as a stressed member.

I am still convinced that it will help to achieve better results as the amount of oil mist acting against the crank is minimised. Probably the next step up from this is to run a vaccum system and beyond that dry sump (too much $$$ for my application).

Post subject: with pics
Posted: Fri May 25, 2007 11:04 am 
Smokin em up

VIC, Australia

note area around oil pump is to be removed
note ~5mm gap under main bolts with tray seated home.

*before anyone asks the block is internally deburred and painted in CRC Red Urethane

Attachments:
ba girdle 003 resized.jpg
ba girdle 003 resized.jpg [ 246.82 KiB | Viewed 248 times ]
ba girdle 002 resized.jpg
ba girdle 002 resized.jpg [ 112.62 KiB | Viewed 194 times ]

Sort by  
 Page 2 of 3  [ 39 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next