Page 1 of 1 [ 8 posts ] 

Post subject: AU 4Litre into Ef engineering
Posted: Fri May 06, 2011 6:20 pm 
Stock as a Rock

Gallery: 1 images

Ride: cortina

QLD, Australia

Hi guys

Just picked up a nice 95 fairmont. It came with a rebuilt AU 4 litre in it that has not had the sump modified. I need to weld up the K frame where it was cut and get it engineered. Has anyone done this on the Gold Coast as i need to find an engineer to pass it once done. (welding up this weekend)

Thanks, Scott

Post subject: Re: AU 4Litre into Ef engineering
Posted: Tue May 17, 2011 8:40 pm 
Tyre Shredder

Ride: 2002 AUII Fairlane Sportsman V8

SA, Australia

You really dont need to "cut" the K-Frame per say, what really needs to be done is the top & bottom lip(s) of the K-Frame folded into each other. This in turn makes the actual K-Frame stronger & you really wouldn't need to get an engineers certificate.

Remove/Undo the spot welds that hold the K-Frame top & bottom lips together. Bang the top lip down & then bang the bottom lip up (or vice versa). Then weld the 2 together.

On the AU engine oil sump you will need to grind off the front oil sump a little. There's like some sort of bump/lump that will hit the K-Frame (only slightly), smooth that off with an angle grinder & you should find that the engine will fit in without any major mods.

This was how it was done on my EF GLi.

If using a Series I engine from an AU then i would suggest keeping/using the AU throttle body & the AU injectors.

If memory serves me correctly the Series II AU engines throttle body uses a different TPS & i am NOT 100% sure if it can be modded to suit the EF wiring. The Idle Controller Solenoid may have a different plug but don't worry it works fine on EF's all you need to do is cut off some of the wire from the AU setup & join it on to the EF loom.

Posted: Tue May 17, 2011 8:51 pm 
Technical Contributor

Gallery: 8 images

Ride: EF Fairmont

NSW, Australia

Shen Long wrote:
You really dont need to "cut" the K-Frame per say, what really needs to be done is the top & bottom lip(s) of the K-Frame folded into each other. This in turn makes the actual K-Frame stronger & you really wouldn't need to get an engineers certificate.

Remove/Undo the spot welds that hold the K-Frame top & bottom lips together. Bang the top lip down & then bang the bottom lip up (or vice versa). Then weld the 2 together.

On the AU engine oil sump you will need to grind off the front oil sump a little. There's like some sort of bump/lump that will hit the K-Frame (only slightly), smooth that off with an angle grinder & you should find that the engine will fit in without any major mods.

This was how it was done on my EF GLi.

If using a Series I engine from an AU then i would suggest keeping/using the AU throttle body & the AU injectors.

If memory serves me correctly the Series II AU engines throttle body uses a different TPS & i am NOT 100% sure if it can be modded to suit the EF wiring. The Idle Controller Solenoid may have a different plug but don't worry it works fine on EF's all you need to do is cut off some of the wire from the AU setup & join it on to the EF loom.

Any modification to the K Frame will require engineering. Also you will read that the K Frame is already cut and he needs to weld it and get it engineered.

Posted: Tue May 17, 2011 9:01 pm 
Tyre Shredder

SA, Australia

Fair enough @SWC, my EF had the same mod done.

Most of the forums & mods that i read/seen cut a fairly nice chunk out of the K-Frame. The mechanic that done mine only modified the lips (just where the sump would of hit if left untouched) & welded them together rather than cut the K-Frame & weld. In our opinion it was just as strong if not more stronger than the original spot welds.

But i would have to agree that from an engineering point of view that there could be discrepancies therefor maybe an engineers certificate would be called for.

All in all this engine mod is definitely the go & definitely worth it if wanting to keep your E Series Falcon alive, which i believe many of us do.

Posted: Tue May 17, 2011 9:07 pm 
Technical Contributor

NSW, Australia

Totaly agree on the engine mod, I have already done 3 and in the process of building up a special AU block for myself. Best result is to mod the sump, no engineering issues and no insurance hassles.

Posted: Tue May 17, 2011 9:13 pm 
Tyre Shredder

SA, Australia

@SWC do you think keeping the original AU intake system is to better than using the tired old E series intake system?

I also think that it is well worth the effort of a longer piece of wire that runs from the front temp switch as found on the EF to the rear of the head as found on the AU.

Measuring heat should be done so where heat is always applied. If water was to somehow drain from the cooling system the temp gauge will be showing zero or nothing as if there was no temp at all.

Posted: Tue May 17, 2011 9:25 pm 
Technical Contributor

NSW, Australia

Don't like the AU head so I don't use that temp sensor, Use E series heads, preferably AB94, XR or CMS heads. If there is no water in the Thermostat housing there will be no water in the head.

Lot of talk about the intakes, EF intake was tested some years ago and flowed better than the EL intake and as good as a 3" intake. Don't know it the AU was tested.

Posted: Tue May 17, 2011 11:15 pm 
Tyre Shredder

SA, Australia

I meant to say inlet system & not intake (my bad)

Sort by  
 Page 1 of 1  [ 8 posts ]