Fordmods Logo

Au 6 exhaust 

Page 1 of 1 [ 5 posts ] 

Post subject: Au 6 exhaust
Posted: Fri Apr 26, 2013 6:00 pm 
Fordmods Newbie

Ride: au falcon ute

NSW, Australia

Just wanna hear some options I have a 2 1/2" redback cat back but the muffler cracked
Need to replace it , not sure if should try something different was thinking lukey glass
Packed muffler but not sure what they would sound like on a 6 ...

Post subject: Re: Au 6 exhaust
Posted: Tue May 07, 2013 9:36 am 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 1 images

QLD, Australia

Aerochamber has a nice note - especially at idle - and the over run burble is nothing short of gorgeous!

Sold the Greenmachine - now driving 2015 Jeep Cherokee Trailhawk.

Posted: Tue May 07, 2013 1:04 pm 
Getting Side Ways

VIC, Australia

I wondered about the aerochamber on an I6. I thought it would sound too much like a f@rt can.

EL Fairmont Ghia - Manual - Supercharged
- The Car
- The Headlights

Posted: Tue May 07, 2013 1:47 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 18 images

Ride: 1997 EL XR6

Power: 180 rwkw

VIC, Australia

I have an Xforce Varex and it sounds really good

MGW Short Throw Shifter, CVE Cam, CVE Head, SS Big Mouth Air Intake, Pacemaker Headers, 3" Exhaust, 3" Varex, 3" Cat, 19" Silver Agents, EMS Stinger 4424, 42lb Injectors and Walbro 255lb Fuel Pump

Next: Pacemaker Comps, 6 Individual Throttle Bodies, ICE Coil and ignition

Posted: Tue May 07, 2013 2:12 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 1 images

QLD, Australia

No - at low revs it has a nice note - and on over run has lovely burble. The only problem with it is that without a rear muffler it will make a really obnoxious ripping note at higher revs - VERY much like a rally car. If you want your hot six to absolutely unequivocably SOUND like a hot six then run an Aerochamber with no rear muffler or resonator - you will make drainpipe Supras etc. sound like total pussies so they will sneak away and hide in the shadows - but if you want it to be a bit more V8 like - ie. pull out a fair bit of the higher frequencies racket and make the note more distinct - then you'll need at least a dog on the back of it - the effect is quite startling in fact - huge difference.

On my ED I started out with hot dog between the cat and Aerochamber main muffler and an offset in / centre out rear muffler (Berklee BSO911) - but decided that was too quiet - so took the rear muffler off altogether and thought "HOLY C RAP!!" - the first time I got up it I thought Colin McRae had sneaked up and was tryin to overtake me!! - had a hotdog put on and it was perfect - tho today it would be a tad loud for me - the way it was before I took the 911 off would be perfect for my tastes now.

I don't know if the forward hotdog is essential - I just automatically had it fitted - being that the Aerochamber is a chamber type muffler it might be quite alright for drone without a forward hotdog, but I don't know for sure.

The arochamber tends to have the sort of revving growl that is evident in this video http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kbqBIJLUDXs

- ie. it differs from most other I6 zorsts by having that hard edged melodious sort of metallic growl rather than the tranditional kind of truck like moan. Idle is louder and more burbly than the vid - and there's no dak-dak style vt-vt-vt in the overrun like in the vid. Only bit that's same is the revving growl / note.

Edit - this vid is much closer to what my ED with aerochamber sounded like - including idle - tho the ED was slightly deeper and didn't have the rasp (keep in mind the system in this vid doesn't have a dog behind the muffler) http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mFseu5i3CAc

Sold the Greenmachine - now driving 2015 Jeep Cherokee Trailhawk.

Sort by  
 Page 1 of 1  [ 5 posts ]