Fordmods Logo

AU block with dizzy input? 

Page 1 of 1 [ 12 posts ] 

Post subject: AU block with dizzy input?
Posted: Sat Feb 05, 2011 9:48 pm 
Oompa Loompa

Ride: EL

NSW, Australia

i have a question, ive gone back and forth with wanting to sell my car then do it up blah blah blah... im gunna bite the bullet and spend the money on it, its an EL fairmont with 235k but fresh head with cam, valve springs, vernier gear exhaust mods and what not, the engine runs a treat and i love it but its burning a bit of oil.. I wana rebuild the motor so its resonably strong, i dont want a 698kw Atomic Engine or anything but something to hold up to 15-18psi boost, i wanted to give you an idea of where im going before someone answered me. What engine am i best off using with less hassle, ive heard people using AU engines but how does that work with the coil packs, or is there a plugged dizzy hole? Or do they change the ECU to AU to run them? Or if Im rebuilding the motor is the EL motor fine because obviously id rather use that, mind you im using the head i have already..... ive tried reading up so much on this so all help would be appreciated, cheers

Post subject: Re: AU block with dizzy input?
Posted: Sat Feb 05, 2011 10:27 pm 
Technical Contributor

Gallery: 2 images

Ride: 2.0 Turbo VW

Power: 142 rwkw

VIC, Australia

Bit of work throwing an AU into an E-series.
ford-4l-and-6-cylinder-f1/au-sump-mod-for-e-series-t79648.html

Anyways, Yes, there is a plugged Dizzy hole, Theres a bearing in there with a gear and shaft to drive the oil pump, which in tern can be re-used as a dizzy hole.

IIRC, the EF Crank is one of the best.
EF head is also very good.

AU bottom end is is much nicer and revs cleaner than all predecessors.

I chose An AU for the revs' and more stable bottom end (if you like its almost like a 4 bolt main as the sump is alloy and bolts to the caps)

AU engines can be bought for like $100 and usually have less than 200,000k's

I've also heard the AU un-opened can hand boost very very well too.

15-18psi? buy a Nissan.

Carefree, we may not be number one, but we're up there.

Posted: Sat Feb 05, 2011 10:42 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: BF XR6,

NSW, Australia

Au bottom end is stronger and au head is also better from wat ive been reading on this forum

BF XR6
xr8 snorkel,typhoon lower snorkel,territory intake pipe,20% underdrive kit,pacemaker extractors,high flow cat,xforce exhaust,t56 conversion hd turbo clutch/ flywheel,m86 3.45 lsd,custom tune187.1rwkw as an auto

Posted: Sat Feb 05, 2011 11:00 pm 
Technical Contributor

Gallery: 20 images

Ride: ED Falcon

Power: 133 rwkw

NSW, Australia

Jim Mock has that EB drag car...

Reading all his gear I'm sure he runs a an AU block because its less prone to warp... AU crank because they had 4 less bob weights or something (revs easier)... And an EF head because they were found to be the best...

Cheers,
Tim

93 Red ED 5spd Manual Build Thread

Performance: Complete AUII VCT Wiring & Power Train, Pacey Headers, 2.5" Exhaust, Exedy Clutch, DBA Rotors
Visuals: FG XR Wheel, XR Front, 17's, BA 5 Spd Shifter, BA Ghia Window Switches, NL Cluster
Tunes: 8" Pioneer Sub, JBL Speakers, Clarion Double DIN Headunit

Posted: Sat Feb 05, 2011 11:16 pm 
NSW Cruise Moderator

Gallery: 12 images

Ride: TE50

NSW, Australia

AU motors are good for boost as they are girdled over the crank caps.

That being said if your gonna throw some money in and build a motor, some Argo rods with bolt through caps and dish top pistons will make a nice addition to your boosted setup. build it on an AU bottom end, throw your modified E series head with complete cam package into the block. should be s good strong base for your boost aspirations. If it can't handle up to 18psi in a package like that, there are other issues going on.

I have a car.

Posted: Sat Feb 05, 2011 11:39 pm 

Ride: AU XR8

NSW, Australia

a stock au engine can handle up to about 12-15psi (well mine is) on a good tune...
they seem bend rods at around 17psi....lol just ask dansedgli..
mine produces 265rwkw on 12psi boost..
it has been subject to 12 psi for 18 months supercharged and the last 4 months on between 12 and 14 psi turbo'd... oh and its running a std dizzy and factory coil :D

Posted: Sun Feb 06, 2011 7:32 am 
Oompa Loompa

NSW, Australia

hey Krytox, thanks for the info, im guessing the AU is good bottom end in standard form but is there any point of using the AU block if im going to put new rods,bearings, pistons etc? Can i just source an EL engine and put an EF crank in it? saves modding the sump because i dont have the skills for that type of modification....? and troyman id be hell pleased with 265rwkw at 12psi, if i built the engine with an ACL dish top pistons, bearings and those argo rods id be sweet with 15psi yeh? i mean i know the gearbox and diff wont be but one thing at a time lol

Posted: Sun Feb 06, 2011 7:56 am 
Technical Contributor

Gallery: 8 images

Ride: EF Fairmont

NSW, Australia

Fitting the AU engine to E Series is no major issue.

1) Modify the sump as per ford-4l-and-6-cylinder-f1/au-sump-mod-for-e-series-t79648.html , you can cut the KFrame but I am against it.

2) Fit your EL Head and rocker gear. Use EL BBM. AU BBM wiring is different to the EL/EF.

3) Use an AU Alterntor, series I - you will need to change the plug on the wiring loom to an AU one.

4) Use EL/EF AC compressor, cut down the mount spacers to 30-31mm , this will allow the use of the standard EF/EL serp belt.

5) I use the EF/EL knock sensor, I drill the hole out a bit and retap, Others use the AU Sensor and change the plug.

6) You can fit the Dizzy to the AU Motor. Where the dizzy is located on the EJ, on the AU there is a dummy unit which drives the oil pump. Pull this out and remove the gear from the shaft. Fit this gear to your dizzy. Doing this keeps the gears matching and will reduce any issues later. You will need to modify the clamp to allow adjustment of the dizzy. While you are at it, remount the coil to the top of your AC Compressor.

7) You can use the EF/EL Bellhousing, couple of bolts don't line up with no known issues but if you can grab an AU bellhosing.

8) Drop her in and you are away. Use the AU Injectors if you can on the EF/EL fuel rail as the are an improved spray pattern.
If you need further info please ask.

Posted: Sun Feb 06, 2011 8:23 am 
Oompa Loompa

NSW, Australia

thanks SWC thats detailed... but like i said above is there any point of using an AU bottom block if im taking everything out and changing it? saves doing all those small modifications?

Posted: Sun Feb 06, 2011 8:40 pm 
Oompa Loompa

NSW, Australia

just doing some more reading, would an ACL rebuild kit with dished pistons with argo rods on an EF crank be a decent/reliable combo for boost...

Posted: Sun Feb 06, 2011 9:30 pm 
Stock as a Rock

Ride: EA2 'Mont

VIC, Australia

dc_todd wrote:
AU motors are good for boost as they are girdled over the crank caps.

Only if you use BA E-gas rods or better.

AU rods and boost is like russian roulette. Almost everyone with a turbo eseries that's had a motor go in the case of an AU motor rods seem to go. Conversely, almost any turbo eseries with an EA-L block it seems to be pistons.

That said, E-gas rods are the same length as normal AU rods, so that's the best option (same as Typhoon rods)

Posted: Sun Feb 06, 2011 9:39 pm 
Oompa Loompa

NSW, Australia

so just use an EL block with the stuff i stated?

Sort by  
 Page 1 of 1  [ 12 posts ]