Fordmods Logo

AU bottom end in EL 

Page 1 of 1 [ 11 posts ] 

Post subject: AU bottom end in EL
Posted: Sun Apr 30, 2006 1:26 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: R32 GTR

VIC, Australia

I'm slowly starting to improve my car and have read over the interweb that the AU bottom end is far superior to the E-series bottom end. I love revvy engines and this EL motor is anything but.

What I'd like to know is can the AU bottom end be installed in a manual EL fairmont? Planning on sticking with the EL head/intake/everything else because I dont want to change anything else at the moment. Does the EL distributor fit in the AU block because they have multiple coils? Is the compression affected much from the AU pistons?

Any other things I should know about?

Posted: Sun Apr 30, 2006 1:31 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: Falcon

SA, Australia

AU bottom end can be made to fit, but not easy.

The bottom end doesnt really help the engine rev all that much. The AU's do have longer rods which helps a little, but those can be put into your EL block anyway.

If you want your engine to rev harder, rebuild and balance then work the top end and get a cam to suit. Its still not going to go rev like a import because the stroke is so long (and there isnt much you can do about that).

Stoke me a clipper, I'll be back for Christmas

Posted: Sun Apr 30, 2006 1:35 pm 
Getting Side Ways

VIC, Australia

Thanks SS,

My bottom end needs work anyway so I'd rather just bolt something cheap on that is better out of the factory rather than spending money reconditioning an older motor.

Define "AU bottom end can be made ot fit, but not easy"

What steps are involved?

Posted: Sun Apr 30, 2006 1:37 pm 
Getting Side Ways

SA, Australia

You need to modify the k-frame to fit the AU's larger sump, or modify the block to take the EL sump.

Posted: Sun Apr 30, 2006 1:40 pm 
Getting Side Ways

VIC, Australia

Do you have links to either of those mods?

Does the air con, PS, serpentine belt, alternator, starter motor, gearbox bell housing, clutch, flywheel, engine mounts, coil pack, distributor and anything else I haven't thought of from the EL block go straight onto the AU block and just work?

Posted: Sun Apr 30, 2006 1:48 pm 
Tyre Shredder

Ride: F350, EF2 Ghia, XC & Corty

Power: 218 rwkw

VIC, Australia

I just bought an AU long motor to bolt into my EF. According to the W/shop manuals the AU and EF motors both hold the same amount of oil.
The EL distributor will fit in an AU motor, i've seen an AU motor running with an XF dissy, carby and EA single point injection manifold! Didn't like the carby but it worked. The AU fuel rail and inlet manifold are slightly different so i'll be keeping the EF inlet, injectors and fuel rail. Motor should arrive sometime this week, so I should be able to start work on it in the next couple of weeks.

13.28@103.73mph

Posted: Sun Apr 30, 2006 1:48 pm 
Getting Side Ways

SA, Australia

AFAIK - belts, dizzy, engine mounts all lit

bellhousing doesnt quite fit, but is still ok to use

No i dont have any links, just stuff ive read. With earlier EA-ED kframes you can just grind the sump back to make it fit, but with EF/EL you cant. From memory, you need to cut the front kframe back around 10mm and weld it back up. If you wanted to keep it all 100% legal you might need an engineer to look over the modification but not sure. Once guy also said you could machine down the rear main cap and then the EL sump would fit on. You dont get the advantage of the AU's sump then, but easier to fit.

To be honest I really dont think it is worth it. Id take a rebuilt EL bottom end over a 2nd hand AU.

Posted: Sun Apr 30, 2006 1:59 pm 
Getting Side Ways

VIC, Australia

Oh bugger then.

Problem is a secondhand AU bottom end is one or two hundred bucks versus a reco EL bottom end which can be 5 or more times as much.... If it isn't a reasonably straightforward job to do at home with good tools then I'll just drive the motor till it blows up

Posted: Sun Apr 30, 2006 2:03 pm 
Getting Side Ways

SA, Australia

If you (or someone you know) has a MIG you will be able to get the engine in, just not sure how legal it would be - it might be worth you checking.

I searched and found a couple of pics to show the difference in sumps

This is the E-series sump

and this is the AU sump

From what I have seen its the front of the sump that hits the front x-member of the frame.

Posted: Sun Apr 30, 2006 2:32 pm 
Getting Side Ways

VIC, Australia

Thanks for the pics.

Thats a real bugger then. Looks like i'll just find a regular EL bottom end when this one fails. Will need to poke my head under the car and see how much and what needs removing/rewelding....

Posted: Sun Apr 30, 2006 3:59 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 15 images

Ride: ALTED XR6 - ALTED EA - EF TAXI

QLD, Australia

Just done a AU motor conversion into Voxace's EB all that was needed was about 5mm of thr ribs at the sump of the motor, everything else fits in .

The bellhousing needs the lower mounts to be grinded a bit wider so you can get the lower bolts in .

You need a AU alternator, and you can use your EL a/c but using the EL mounting bolts for it .

Sort by  
 Page 1 of 1  [ 11 posts ]