Fordmods Logo

au cams 

Page 1 of 1 [ 9 posts ] 

Post subject: au cams
Posted: Sun Apr 22, 2007 8:01 am 
Fordmods Newbie

New Zealand

:D hi all, newbie here, ive got an AU engine in my speedway race car which is pretty well stock at the moment, will a XR6 cam fit without any problems, heard i would have to replace valve springs etc, also whats the cost of getting one in Aussie,as a price comparison of them over here in NZ, Ford NZ seem to charge like wounded bulls, may be cheaper to get one from Oz, thanks in advance

Alcohol, the cause of and solution to, all of lifes problems- Homer Jay Simpson

Posted: Sun Apr 22, 2007 2:28 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 23 images

Ride: XR6 Turbo

NSW, Australia

Na you shouldnt need to change valve springs if its just a XR6 cam, Ford always charges like a wounded bull even here in Aus lol.

SS Inductions CAI, K&N Filters, M-spec FMC, Turbosmart BOV, 8psi capa tune, X-force cat.

Mods going on: Nizpro springs, bosch 040 pump + Walbro gss341, 600cc injectors, PWR transcooler, 20% Underdrives, 15psi Actuator, Kingspring SSL's, 15psi tune.....More coming

Posted: Sun Apr 22, 2007 5:37 pm 
Fordmods Newbie

New Zealand

cool, does the XR6 cam have a part number on them or any identifying marks to tell them apart from a stock standard one???, may see if i can get one from a wrecker instead, either that or get one ground to the same specs, thanks

Posted: Sun Apr 22, 2007 5:51 pm 
Smokin em up

Ride: 5 Spd EA Wagon, 5 spd EF Fairmon

VIC, Australia

the xr6's have different springs out of the factory, there has to be a reason... perhaps the standard ones cant cop the lift, or they coil-bind..
Chuck in the cam, and make sure that the springs can cop the lift before you start the car..

If you're not driving a manual, you are only steering...

Posted: Mon Apr 23, 2007 12:13 am 
Smokin em up

Ride: AU 6

VIC, Australia

wouldnt an Xr6 cam bee to small for your speedway car man. Throw a massive cam in there with saloon car valve springs like mine ditch the ecu and switch to carbies and hold on.

Posted: Mon Apr 23, 2007 12:19 am 
Smokin em up

Ride: AU 6

VIC, Australia

guy i know has Au speedway cars, he runs a carby setup, with a big Crow cam i think custom grind to his spec. The valve springs are same as mine they are straight shape not conical like the factory. But you need headwork as well to fit these springs which i have done as well.

Posted: Mon Apr 23, 2007 12:25 am 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 4 images

Ride: ef fairmont turbo

Power: 213 rwkw

VIC, Australia

its pretty pointless to throw in a xr6 cam, there will be very little gains, your money and time will be better of spent elsewhere, the main reason the xr6 was quicker then the falcon was because of the better ratio diff, lsd: 3.45 compared to the ss: 3.08(i think).

96 EF FAIRMONT
Garrett gt40turbo, iceman plenum, ported head, turbo cam, double valvesprings, 023 fuel pump, 36lb injectors 4' cat, 4' dump, 2.5 exhaust, build bottom end, hypertonic pistons rods & rods, king bearings, j3. c10 3500 stall
232rwkw@4psi

Posted: Tue Apr 24, 2007 7:08 am 
Fordmods Newbie

New Zealand

ok the class i race speedway in is stockcars over here which is a full contact class, we are allowed a max of 248 cubes, no aftermarket ignitions, cam lift 0.5", i run an xf dizzy in the AU, (take gear wheel off and turn upside down to fit the AU), centrepoint injection inlet manifold off an EA and XF Weber carb, we cant run injection...yet, also have a restrictor plate of 300cfm as well, the class above us is superstocks and they have lots more things they can do but costs are thru the roof, anyhoo i run an HQ box behind the AU and finally a Mazda B1600 diff running 4.1 ratio, so we are restricted in what we can do, anyhow heres a link to a youtube video i took of stockcar racing in nz see what ya reckon
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ty8rxQAoc_w

Posted: Tue Apr 24, 2007 7:27 am 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 23 images

Ride: XR6 Turbo

NSW, Australia

Looks fun

SS Inductions CAI, K&N Filters, M-spec FMC, Turbosmart BOV, 8psi capa tune, X-force cat.

Mods going on: Nizpro springs, bosch 040 pump + Walbro gss341, 600cc injectors, PWR transcooler, 20% Underdrives, 15psi Actuator, Kingspring SSL's, 15psi tune.....More coming

Sort by  
 Page 1 of 1  [ 9 posts ]