Fordmods Logo

Au conversion timing cover? 

Page 1 of 2 [ 16 posts ] Go to page 1, 2  Next

Post subject: Au conversion timing cover?
Posted: Sun Sep 29, 2013 1:22 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: EL XR-6

QLD, Australia

hey guys I know few people on here are or have done au conversions just wondering putting the Au motor in an EL did u end changing the timing cover cause on the au ones they have couple of sensors there and one goes into the timing cover? and did anyone use the EL bbm setup and the AC etc?

Post subject: Re: Au conversion timing cover?
Posted: Sun Sep 29, 2013 1:38 pm 
Technical Contributor

Gallery: 8 images

Ride: EF Fairmont

NSW, Australia

You can use the AU Timing case, The first sensor is the cam sensor, it goes through the timing case, just cut the cable and leave it there. The second sensor is the Crank sensor, just unscrew it and leave it off or leave it there and not worry about it.

Things reqired to fit AU engine to EF/EL

1) sump needs to be modified to fit K-Frame, you can cut and weld the K-Frame but that is up to you, will need engineering after being cut. You cannot use an EF/EL sump as the sump is totally different to AU.

2) Need to use AU/BF alternator or you will need to modify the block and drill and tap mount points to mount the EF/EL alternator.
If you use an AU I alternator you will need to change the plug for the alternator to one from an AUI as these are different from the Mitsubishi alternators.
Note: The AUII & III and BA alternators have the same plug as EF/EL.

3) Remove the block where the Dizzy (EL) or cam sensor (EF) goes and remove the gear from the shaft and fit to your Dizzy (EL) or Cam Sensor (EF). This will then mean that the gears are matching and you should have no issues, there have been issues with dizzys failing when this has not been done. Some modding will be requiered to use the existing mount point, extra notch/gring Cam sensor.
Note:Do not try and drill hole in existing EF position on AU block, you will drill through the block.

4) You will need to use a EF/EL thermostat housing as these have your temp sensor and AU housings do not or you can extend the wiring and change the plug for the Temp sensor and use the AU sensor.

5) You will need to use the EF/EL BBM as the uppers are different to the AU. Also us the EF/EL throttle body as some of the plugs are different to the AU.

6) Use the EF/EL wiring loom.

7) You will need to tap the block with an M12 1.5 tap if using the EF/EL Knock sensor. This only applied the AUII/III blocks. AUI has the M12 thread there. If using the AU sensor you will need to modify the plug.

8) a) You will need to cut the EF/EL AC pump mount spacers down to 30mm to suit the AU block as well as shortening the bolts by 10mmm if using the AU alternator to suit the standard serpentine belt.
b) If using the EF/EL alternator with modified mounts you will not need to cut down the mounts and be able to use the standard Serpentine belt.
c) Alternativly you can use the AU alternator , standard AC spacers and a Serpentine belt from an XH (Slightly longer).

9) Use the EF/EL power steering pump. This is a direct bolt up. The AU pump hose connection is different to the EF/EL.

10) You do not need to change the Harmonic balancer for either EL (Dizzy) or EF Coil Pack.

11) If fitting to EF you will need to use your original Coil Pack or an AUI coil pack as these are different to AUII & III. (different plug) You can use the AUII/III coilpack but you will need to change the plug and new leads. Also the mount is different between the 2 Coilpacks.

12) you can use the AU head or fit you EF/EL head, that is up to you.

Posted: Sun Sep 29, 2013 1:50 pm 
Getting Side Ways

QLD, Australia

thanks for the infro. I don't exactly know what u mean by the M12 in point 7 as u mention?

Posted: Sun Sep 29, 2013 2:17 pm 
Technical Contributor

NSW, Australia

M12 x 1.5 is a thread size. It is a 12mm thread with a pitch of 1.5mm. If you use an AUI block you will find it is already 12mm thread. If using an AUII/III block, drill 10.5mm and then tap. Only drill till it bottoms out. don't drill all the way through. You can adapt the AU knock sensor if you wish but i prefer the EF/EL sensor as i know it works.

Posted: Sun Sep 29, 2013 3:07 pm 
Fordmods Junkie

Ride: '03 BA & '06 BF Wagooons

VIC, Australia

jamie22_cole wrote:
thanks for the infro. I don't exactly know what u mean by the M12 in point 7 as u mention?

SWC wrote:
You can use the AU Timing case, The first sensor is the cam sensor, it goes through the timing case, just cut the cable and leave it there. The second sensor is the Crank sensor, just unscrew it and leave it off or leave it there and not worry about it.

Things reqired to fit AU engine to EF/EL

7) You will need to tap the block with an M12 1.5 tap if using the EF/EL Knock sensor. This only applied the AUII/III blocks. AUI has the M12 thread there. If using the AU sensor you will need to modify the plug.

the M12 1.5 tap he is refering ta is the bolt size/thread you will need ta use ta fit the EF/EL sensor in ya AU motor

Posted: Sun Sep 29, 2013 5:29 pm 
Getting Side Ways

QLD, Australia

so u only need to do that for dizzy setup or for the ef coil pack setup?

Posted: Sun Sep 29, 2013 6:03 pm 
Fordmods Junkie

VIC, Australia

Posted: Sun Sep 29, 2013 6:12 pm 
Getting Side Ways

QLD, Australia

also which is the better way to go with fuel rails should I just leave the au fuel rail or should I use XR6 fuel rail cause I notice that the fuel regulators are different on the au and my EL xr6 I think its stuff.

Posted: Sun Sep 29, 2013 6:51 pm 
Fordmods Junkie

VIC, Australia

jamie22_cole wrote:
also which is the better way to go with fuel rails should I just leave the au fuel rail or should I use XR6 fuel rail cause I notice that the fuel regulators are different on the au and my EL xr6 I think its stuff.

my understanding is ya can use the AU rail ........ however seeing as ya wanna use the AU rail AND etc .. i don't know

Posted: Sun Sep 29, 2013 7:37 pm 
Getting Side Ways

QLD, Australia

does anyone know where I can get 6mm Alloy Plate from and also get the AU sump cut and welded in geelong?

Last edited by jamie22_cole on Sun Sep 29, 2013 8:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Posted: Sun Sep 29, 2013 7:38 pm 
Fordmods Junkie

VIC, Australia

jamie22_cole wrote:
does anyone know I can get 6mm flex plate from and cut and welded in geelong?

fa what??

Posted: Sun Sep 29, 2013 8:01 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 5 images

Ride: DENTED UP OLD AUT WAGON

New Zealand

SWC --- What about the oil pressure sensor? Same?!

Posted: Sun Sep 29, 2013 8:47 pm 
Technical Contributor

NSW, Australia

AUI Cars fitted with a XR or High series dash had an oil Pressure sender, low series cars had a pressure switch, just like the E series.

All AUII/AUIII were fitted with a pressure switch, did not matter if the car was a Low Series, XR or High Series. It did not matter if the car was fitted with an Oil pressure guage, it didn't work it was just an idiot guage.

Fit the appropriate switch/sender to suit the dash fitted.

Posted: Sun Sep 29, 2013 8:55 pm 
Technical Contributor

NSW, Australia

jamie22_cole wrote:

You can use the AU rail with no issues, great thing is that AU XR6 Fuel Regs are still available from Ford new.

It is up to you as the only difference between the rails is the way that the Fuel Reg mounts.

Posted: Wed Oct 02, 2013 5:39 am 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 5 images

Ride: DENTED UP OLD AUT WAGON

New Zealand

Check the pressure rating on the end of the fuel reg. 27 bar is standard. 30 should be XR6. The EF or EL ones are easier to swap (imo)

Sort by  
 Page 1 of 2  [ 16 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next