Fordmods Logo

AU engine into EF XR6, what are the issues??? 

Page 1 of 1 [ 6 posts ] 

Post subject: AU engine into EF XR6, what are the issues???
Posted: Mon Mar 16, 2009 9:18 pm 
Getting Side Ways

NSW, Australia

Hey guys,

I was just brain storming and thought that if some day when my headgasket decides to let go that ill consider installing a low km AU engine instead doing the headgasket.

What issues will i be facing if i were to do this conversion???

I know the sump is a small issue which can be fixed easily but anything else i dont know about???

Is it simply bolt in and plug and play???

I'll either install the standard AU 4.0L OR XR6 engine non VCT

4.0 litre inline six cylinder.
-157kW @ 4900 rpm.
-357Nm @ 3000 rpm.

OR

XR6 4.0 NON VCT

4.0 litre 'HP' straight six
-164 kW @ 5000 rpm.
-366 Nm @ 3150 rpm.

Wanted Either Capri/Cortina/XY/XW/XR/XT with tough V8 stroker engine, auto, 9inch, upgraded brakes etc[/SIZE][/size][/color]

Post subject: Re: AU engine into EF XR6, what are the issues???
Posted: Mon Mar 16, 2009 10:21 pm 

Ride: AU XR8

NSW, Australia

aslong as you use your intake manifold and wiring and you get a modified sump..(au manifold has different iat sensor and the e series one dont fit)
it will bolt straight in..
there are a few things that may make it a little difficult..
like the 2 lower bolts dont line up for the e series bellhousing..you can leave them out or you can get an au bellhousing..

you will need an au alternator or you need to grind a bit off the block and modify the e series alt bracket to fit.
and the same goes for the aircon pump but afaik the au pump has different fittings..
but its easier to use the ef aircon pump.. you only need to grind a few mm off the spacers on the lower bolts and it will bolt straight on..
everything else is a straight fit..

Posted: Mon Mar 16, 2009 10:37 pm 
Getting Side Ways

NSW, Australia

Thats awsome

I was thinking to use the EF manifold anyway as it would be much easier instead of mucking aorund taking it out and wiring and all.

Seem pretty straight forward :D woooooooooooooooooooooooo hooooooooooooooooooooooo

Seems like a worth whild conversion as well as i chatted to this dude with a E series and converted to a AU engine and gained about 50-60km per tank of fuel which is just awsome. Will pay off the conversion over some time as well BIG THUMBS UP FOR THAT :D

Wanted Either Capri/Cortina/XY/XW/XR/XT with tough V8 stroker engine, auto, 9inch, upgraded brakes etc[/SIZE][/size][/color]

Posted: Wed Mar 18, 2009 8:19 am 
Getting Side Ways

NSW, Australia

So if i get an AU alternator and use my current air conditioning pump it will simply bolt all up and use the standard belt???

Also what makes the AU engine superior to the EF engine???

Posted: Wed Mar 18, 2009 12:23 pm 

Ride: AU XR8

NSW, Australia

yep.....

as for the differences..

this is something i copied and pasted from an artical..
Intech features a new cylinder head with a lighter mass valve train and new 'high swirl', higher compression ratio (9.65 vs 9.35:1) combustion chambers. These promote fast, complete combustion , especially during 'lean cruise' Single, conical valve springs replace the double units on the preceding engine.

Two major contributors to the quietness and freer revving qualities of Intech are its increased structural stiffness and its new crankshaft.

The stiffness is achieved through extra cylinder block ribbing and a new, rigid cast aluminium sump pan which is cross bolted through the main bearing caps, bolted to the transmission bell housing and is further braced with an internal steel ladder. Mounting of engine accessories directly to the block instead of via brackets also helps rigidity.

The crankshaft is a new, stiffer yet lighter, 8-counterweight design with some technology input from Jaguar. The inherent balance superiority of Falcon's in-line 6-cylinder layout over V6 means that the complication of balance shafts is superfluous.

Engine durability is afforded with new design silicone gaskets sealing the camcover and the sump pan as well as a triple-layered steel head gasket. The steel gasket helps reduce noise and emissions by minimising bore distortion and crevice volume and improving piston ring seating.

Pistons are low clearance and are a lighter, shorter skirt design with a teflon-based coating and low tension rings for reduced friction. Their connecting rods are also new and lighter.

Posted: Wed Mar 18, 2009 2:35 pm 
Getting Side Ways

NSW, Australia

WOW

So the AU engine is heaps better from the sounds of it

Sort by  
 Page 1 of 1  [ 6 posts ]