Fordmods Logo

AU falcon alternator onto EL ticky (with AU brackets) ??? 

Page 1 of 1 [ 6 posts ] 

Post subject: AU falcon alternator onto EL ticky (with AU brackets) ???
Posted: Wed Feb 01, 2012 10:39 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 32 images

Ride: BA XR6T (mix of BA, BF and FG)

WA, Australia

Hi all,

I just killed my alternator again, so I went back to the guy I got the last one from but all he had was an AU alternator.

I bought it for $20 dollars and got the rear mount bracket and the rebar bracket thing from the front as well.

The plugs look the same so that's no problem, the rear of the alternator looks simple enough, but the front mount looks completely different.

Does anyone have a schematic of the Alternator mounts on an AU or alternatively a photo of how it looks?

I have to put it in tomorrow morning before work and Im hoping for a trouble free run.

Also, does anyone know what the output of an AU alternator is? I had an EF job in before, and it's 110 so wondering how the AU one stacks up.

As always, any insight is much appreciated.

regards

Frank

Post subject: Re: AU falcon alternator onto EL ticky (with AU brackets) ???
Posted: Wed Feb 01, 2012 11:37 pm 

Ride: AU XR8

NSW, Australia

the au rear alternator mount will be to far forward on e series block, (the holes are in different spot, about 1" further forward on e series)..
and they both mount up differently, but you could try modify it to fit, anythings possable with the right tools and some creativity...

imo still better off just buying a reco or a new ef one...

Posted: Thu Feb 02, 2012 3:26 am 
Getting Side Ways

WA, Australia

Thanks Troyman, I just had a look at my spare EL motor and it certainly wouldn't be a easy fit.

However, I noticed something else while I was at it.. The alternators are internally identical, only the mount points on the housings are different, every bolt hole and moulding is the same. Now I'm thinking it might be worth just swapping the housings over... which has some interesting benefits.

As I understand it, the BA alternator is wound for 120 amps but otherwise identical to the AU alternator.. if the housings swap easily with the EL's, it's a pretty cheap way to get some extra amperage. Apparently BF's are 130 amp, but they are regulated via pwm from the ECU so not really an option, but 120 amps isn't bad...

I've already bought an EL alternator.. just waiting for shipping.. while I wait, I'll try swapping the casings.. if it works, I'll have an AU alternator in the EL housing, which might well be handy in future.

Posted: Thu Feb 02, 2012 9:33 am 

Ride: AU XR8

NSW, Australia

actually ba alternator is 110 amp. we have one on our au....

Posted: Fri Feb 03, 2012 1:52 am 
Getting Side Ways

WA, Australia

Right you are, serves me right for using ebay as a research tool, there are loads of auctions for 120 amp BA alternators, but I just noticed they are all Bosch not Mitsubishi.

Having said that, I just successfully took all the guts from the AU alternator and stuck them in the shell of one of the EL alternators... took 45 minutes (first time I've every done it) and it's now working in the car.. so the insides are very close to being identical, just some small improvements to the internal components like improved fan and what look like slightly bigger brushes.

Considering how you guys graft dash looms and stuff together, and how crazy simple pulling the alternator down was, and that the brushes are like $8 bucks on ebay I am really surprised more people don't replace the brushes in their alternators.. I'll be doing it from now on.. I'm going to pull all my dead ones apart and work out how many good regulators and rectifiers I have, and I'll rebuild that many. :-) dirt cheap and now that I've done it, I could do it again in less than 30 per alternator.

I took some photos to show how simple they come apart... it might help someone.
http://www.fordmods.com/post1313295.html#p1313295

Posted: Sat Feb 04, 2012 12:36 am 
Parts Gopher

Ride: toyo,2ea,3eb,1ef,1el,zh

QLD, Australia

brushes should only be $1-00/$1-50 each at any good auto lecy :-}

Sort by  
 Page 1 of 1  [ 6 posts ]