AU falcon idle problem 

Page 1 of 1 [ 4 posts ] 

Post subject: AU falcon idle problem
Posted: Tue Jun 05, 2012 8:02 pm 
Fordmods Newbie

Gallery: 5 images

Ride: Ford Falcon

VIC, Australia

Hello all i currently have a idle problem in my series one AU falcon. It idles pretty low and if all the electrics are turned on the idle drops even further. I have tested the alternator and it puts out the correct voltage and the battery is brand new.

Any help to rectify this problem would be amazing.

Post subject: Re: AU falcon idle problem
Posted: Tue Jun 05, 2012 9:36 pm 
Stock as a Rock

Gallery: 7 images

QLD, Australia

DVSAU1 wrote:
Hello all i currently have a idle problem in my series one AU falcon. It idles pretty low and if all the electrics are turned on the idle drops even further. I have tested the alternator and it puts out the correct voltage and the battery is brand new.

Any help to rectify this problem would be amazing.

Try resetting the ECU as follows:

First of all drive the car to normal engine temp and the thermostat has opened etc
Then to verify the correct idlespeed of the engine the following 4 steps should be taken with the vehicle being idled while stationary for approx 1 minute in each of the following conditions (total idling time approx 4 minutes)
NOTE- DO NOT TOUCH THE ACCELLERATOR DURING ANY PERIOD OF THE 5 following ADAPTIVE PROCESS.

1. Neutral with all electrical loads OFF.
2. Neutral with Air conditioning ON.
3. *Drive with all electrical loads off.
4. *Drive with Air conditioning ON.

*As a clarifying note, I guess that for steps 3. & 4., you can place the car in D with the handbrake firmly applied and DO NOT TOUCH the accelerator peddle.

After all this has been done then proceed to go on and to do these steps which actually set the TPS values;
5. To set the closed throttle referance position , place the transmission
in D, air con off, and let the engine idle for a minimum of 1 minute.
6. Next, set the wide-open throttle reference position by turning the
engine off- but leave the ignition switch to the "ON," position, ie;Idiot lights on etc, then press the accelerator
pedal to the floor and hold it their for 1 minute, minimum.
7. Then Place the gear selector to Park and switch off the ignition.
8. Drive the vehicle and check for proper shifting patterns.

Posted: Tue Jun 05, 2012 9:40 pm 
Fordmods Newbie

Gallery: 5 images

Ride: Ford Falcon

VIC, Australia

Yeah we have done this at my work already. But if we wind it up any higher it just loads up the transmission at the lights.

I think its more a mechanical problem. I'm trying to find out which component is failing and if anyone has had any experience with this problem.

Posted: Fri Jun 08, 2012 12:53 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 4 images

Ride: EF XR6 Wagon, AU2 XR6 VCT

Power: 148 rwkw

New Zealand

The idle speed control valve/solenoid should be maintaining the correct idle revs - should compensate automatically when you load the engine with electrics, aircon, steering. It's the cylinder-shaped gizmo bolted to the top of the throttle body. If you disconnect the ISC and nothing changes, that will be the culprit. You can try clean it (some say use throttle body cleaner, others say isopropyl alcohol) before you spend cash on a new one. If you have multimeter, you can backprobe the connector to ensure it's getting voltage.

95 EF XR6 wagon, 17" FTRs, DBA rotors, KYB/Koni, AU bottom end, ported EF head, backcut valves, SS Inductions, Territory intake, 10.2 CR, Auckland 1258 cam, vernier gear, PH4480 headers, no cat, Tickford 2.5", 2800rpm stall, J3 chip

Sort by  
 Page 1 of 1  [ 4 posts ]