Page 1 of 1 [ 5 posts ] 

Post subject: AU Gearbox Noise.....
Posted: Thu Jan 10, 2008 10:09 pm 
Fordmods Newbie

Gallery: 1 images

Ride: AU III XR6

QLD, Australia

Hi All,

Question about the gearbox in my 2002 AUIII XR6, 54k's.

When changing gears (it's an auto) there's a really noticeable metallic sounding 'click' which you can hear. It's really evident when for example slowing down at the lights and she goes from I assume 2nd to 1st. It's also noticeable when it's going thru the other gears but 2nd to 1st I can really hear it (especially with the window open). Any ideas if this is normal? I had her in for a gearbox service about a month ago and the guys said its all looks ok - but i don't trust many mechanics.

I've heard other fords making the same noise - any ideas as to what's causing it? and can it be fixed.

Cheers
Cam.

Posted: Fri Jan 11, 2008 2:29 am 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 10 images

NSW, Australia

Cam,
It's fairly easy to check your t/fluid level but try running it up onto a set of ramps [front first] and check your tail shaft [ in park] by grasping it and trying to rock it to see if there's any clicking or looseness in the joints or rear g/box bearing or mounting.
While you're there remove the front g/box cover plate and check that the torque converter to drive plate bolts are tight [60Nm].
I know that at 54k klms, they shouldn't be loose but I've seen it happen a few times and it was clicking that gave it away.
It's an easy fix if caught before the bolts deform the holes and only takes 15-20 mins to check/fix.
Paul

What goes around, comes around.

Posted: Tue Jan 15, 2008 3:42 pm 
Fordmods Newbie

QLD, Australia

Cheers mate,

Well i rang a couple of transmission places. All i got was "dunno, need to open it up and have a look", except for 1 place which says could either be a pressure? problem in the gearbox or seized universal joint???

From my limited mechanical knowledge i cant see how it would be the universal.......

Posted: Tue Jan 15, 2008 5:56 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: 66 Coupe

WA, Australia

If its a sharp 'tick' that sounds like a solenoid clicking then its pretty normal, just a noisy solenoid and not worth worrying about.

Posted: Sat Jan 19, 2008 9:23 am 
Fordmods Newbie

QLD, Australia

Yep, it's a sharp tick/click. I might find out about getting it fixed / replaced as it's driving me nuts lol.

Sort by  
 Page 1 of 1  [ 5 posts ]