Fordmods Logo

AU head gasket on an EF??? 

Page 2 of 5 [ 67 posts ] Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Post subject: Re: AU head gasket on an EF???
Posted: Sat Mar 13, 2010 11:12 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 6 images

Ride: E39 523i / EF Fairmont

QLD, Australia

Damn that is a clean block cjh.

E39 523i
EF Fairmont

Posted: Sun Mar 14, 2010 11:24 am 
Fordmods Junkie

Gallery: 11 images

Ride: EL Fairmont, VFR400 racer

Power: 144 rwkw

VIC, Australia

Rick_Deckard wrote:

Was thinking the same thing...

phongus = Post whore 2006
EL XR6 motor, EL ECU + J3 chip, WADE 1673 Camshaft, 3" S/S intake, Pacy 4480, 2.5" Hi flow cat, 2.5" Lukey exhaust.
Max Power = 144.6 rwkw (03/05/2008)

Posted: Sun Mar 14, 2010 12:04 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: 93 ED sedan

Power: 161 rwkw

QLD, Australia

phongus wrote:
Rick_Deckard wrote:

Was thinking the same thing...

This is the quality of my work that I was shunned for, by fellow workers and bosses alike...and I didn't have come-backs........to them I say " F*#K YOU ".

Thank you for the comments guys.

http://youtu.be/jJTh9F3Vgg0

Posted: Sun Mar 14, 2010 1:58 pm 
Getting Side Ways

NSW, Australia

cjh

Great work dude and i also thought from first look it was a rebuild. All mechanic's have to do work like this but unfortunatly it dosent happen.

I think ur rule is "DO IT ONCE AND DO IT PROPERLY" and this is a perfect example.

Keep up the great work and honest work bud

Also i have found that some mechanic's dont know about using an AU/MLS headgasket on earlier models, i was like WTF carnt they tell it looks the same pretty much.

Wanted Either Capri/Cortina/XY/XW/XR/XT with tough V8 stroker engine, auto, 9inch, upgraded brakes etc[/SIZE][/size][/color]

Posted: Sun Mar 14, 2010 4:46 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 25 images

Ride: EB2 Ghia,Mighty Boy,Eb1 Xr8 5spd

VIC, Australia

cjh wrote:
This is the quality of my work that I was shunned for, by fellow workers and bosses alike...and I didn't have come-backs........to them I say " F*#K YOU ".

Thank you for the comments guys.

I wish there were more mechanics around like you dude!

My father used to have the same issues with his bosses, my father always believed you should do the job right the first time, take that little bit extra time & make it perfect. Then there is no issues to bite you on the a***....

Problem is that time is money & most bosses can't see past that fact. The other workers would have shunned you cause you would be "showing their poor work up".

Cheers

ToranaGuy

I am the ToranaGuy!|74 Lh Torana Turbo|78 Hz PanelVan|86 Mighty Boy Ute|93 EB2 Ghia,GT Mockup,5spd,LPGI,Full Leather|2 x EB Xr8 5spd's|FS [VIC]: Wrecking - Eb XR8 - Parts available |Build Thread|Ebay Items - Ford Parts|

Posted: Sun Mar 14, 2010 4:53 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 18 images

Ride: Envi EF

NSW, Australia

Thats mint CJH. 8-)
What is the proper name for the little head aligning tubes in the block? I need some :(

>>>EF Futura T build<<<

Posted: Sun Mar 14, 2010 5:10 pm 
Getting Side Ways

ToranaGuy wrote:

I wish there were more mechanics around like you dude!

MICKYYYY wrote:
cjh

Great work dude and i also thought from first look it was a rebuild. All mechanic's have to do work like this but unfortunatly it dosent happen.

There are loads of us with quality work and take pride in doing the absolute best job possible.

Two reasons why it doesn't happen enough though.
1: Managers/bosses ect. can't see past the dollar. and won't allow you the time to do the job to the best standard
2: MOST customers can't see past the dollar. and won't pay the time it take to the job the best standard.

The difference between the bosses and the customers. When things go wrong the boss realizes and accepts the fact that time constraints contributed the problem.

Customers on the other hand only want to hang you and don't realize that if they paid and extra hours labor they wouldn't be having any problems.

Posted: Sun Mar 14, 2010 5:31 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 2 images

Ride: GREEN ED XR6

Power: 249 rwkw

QLD, Australia

krisisdog wrote:
Thats mint CJH. 8-)
What is the proper name for the little head aligning tubes in the block? I need some :(

The part number is V 840060 S and cost $4.00 each. from Ford

AU2 engine with Hoppers head/cam performance package & spool rods / CP pistons ,Snort 1200 plenum, T56 Manual & Billet short shifter, Front & Rear Slotted rotors, Pedders lowered suspension, LSD and tuned with EMS stinger 4424 347rwkw THE ED XR6 IS BOOSTED

Posted: Sun Mar 14, 2010 6:42 pm 
Getting Side Ways

NSW, Australia

tickford_6

Ur totally right in what ur saying and i dont mind paying a little bit more to do the job right but most ppl just want it done cheap.

Wanted Either Capri/Cortina/XY/XW/XR/XT with tough V8 stroker engine, auto, 9inch, upgraded brakes etc[/SIZE][/size][/color]

Posted: Sun Mar 14, 2010 7:39 pm 
Getting Side Ways

MICKYYYY wrote:
tickford_6

Ur totally right in what ur saying and i dont mind paying a little bit more to do the job right but most ppl just want it done cheap.

Unfortunately you are in the minority, and the industry is geared towards keeping the tight a*** majority happy. And that means cheap cheap cheap. Time and money constraints put on mechanics by tight a*** customers leads to poor work, and it will bring the down the quality of even the best mechanic.

Posted: Sun Mar 14, 2010 7:53 pm 
Getting Side Ways

NSW, Australia

EDXR6-Poly wrote:
krisisdog wrote:
Thats mint CJH. 8-)

The part number is V 840060 S and cost $4.00 each. from Ford

Thanks bud.

Micky, you miss the point in general. They dont have to work to that standard at all. They get paid to do a job like anyone else and all they have to do is get that job done. A lot of s**t starts when you pay the extra dollar for the better job, and its the same as result as the cheap work, or like what ticky_6 said, just not enough time is given for jobs, so things get rushed, arent quite 100% or missed completely.

>>>EF Futura T build<<<

Posted: Sun Mar 14, 2010 8:01 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: EF-XR8chaser

NSW, Australia

krisisdog wrote:
Thats mint CJH. 8-)

ill jump in ---------dowels,actually small pipes so the bolts go tru them.solid steel is still called dowels.

R.I.P HANS HARTMAN

Posted: Sun Mar 14, 2010 8:18 pm 
Getting Side Ways

NSW, Australia

I was after a name so I could chase a part number, but got a number straight up!
Pretty sure a tube has the same definition as pipe too lol

>>>EF Futura T build<<<

Posted: Sun Mar 14, 2010 10:00 pm 
Getting Side Ways

NSW, Australia

tickford_6

How much do u charge to do a headgasket on say a EF/EL, so a start price if not much is needed to max cost to get an idea to compare to the inner west Sydney workshops i know.

Posted: Sun Mar 14, 2010 10:32 pm 
Getting Side Ways

MICKYYYY wrote:
tickford_6

How much do u charge to do a headgasket on say a EF/EL, so a start price if not much is needed to max cost to get an idea to compare to the inner west Sydney workshops i know.

prices would start at about $900. I charge $94/h
That would be best case as in take head off surface head lap valves refit. I always use genuine AU head gasket and an ACL VRS, engine oil and filter are also changed
worst case they can go up to $1500, I have had heads that cost $600-$700 dollars to repair, and thats just the head cost.

Keep in mind that Falcon heads ALWAYS need more then just a surface grind and valve lap
anthing older then an AU is almost guaranteed to need at least one or two valve guides to be K-lined, some corrosion welded and an exhaust valve or two.

Alot of them won't pass a hardness test. To have a head re-hardened will cost ALOT. The last head i had to do was a toyota 7MGTE, that cost me $2000 to have reco'd by the time it was re-hardened and finish machined, postage to and from ect. So you can imagine the cost of the complete job to the customer.

AFTER saying all of that, i know alot of people on here will be saying "but you can get whole engines from a wrecker for $500 and fit them cheap. to that i say, Yes YOU can, and YOU and your mates can fit one over a weekend and it will cost you under $1000.
Thats fine, if you can do the work. there are people that can't and would have to pay some one to do it. Paying a mechanic to do it will soon make that $500 engine a very expensive option.

Sort by  
 Page 2 of 5  [ 67 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next