Page 1 of 2 [ 23 posts ] Go to page 1, 2  Next

Post subject: au head on el?
Posted: Fri Feb 22, 2013 9:51 pm 
Parts Gopher

Gallery: 1 images

Ride: EB Falcon S XR6

SA, Australia

hi all,
I have an 96 EL opt20 if that makes any difference with the head or not BUT the head gasket has just started to go so i took the head off and the best way to desribe it is its screwd. all the water jackets are corroded right out just maybe sparing less then a mill to the pots, so any way i brought a brand new head with HTP moulded on it. AU head im guessing, it has the sensor thread on the back. i diddnt realise it was an AU head untill after i brought it (it was in a box) and i was wondering will it be all right to bolt on with all the EL head gasket, cam and rockers and also are the AU heads the same spec as EL??

Cheers.

Post subject: Re: au head on el?
Posted: Fri Feb 22, 2013 10:28 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: el fairmont ghia

QLD, Australia

ahow6235 wrote:
hi all,
I have an 96 EL opt20 if that makes any difference with the head or not BUT the head gasket has just started to go so i took the head off and the best way to desribe it is its screwd. all the water jackets are corroded right out just maybe sparing less then a mill to the pots, so any way i brought a brand new head with HTP moulded on it. AU head im guessing, it has the sensor thread on the back. i diddnt realise it was an AU head untill after i brought it (it was in a box) and i was wondering will it be all right to bolt on with all the EL head gasket, cam and rockers and also are the AU heads the same spec as EL??

Cheers.

au cam and rocker gear are diffrent,

hpt is an aftermarket head, i saw one last night and ask a mate about it, i'm unsure of the sensor you're talkin about, a picture would help us all out

Muts EL Fairmont Ghia
did someone call 9 1 HOLY s**t?

Posted: Sat Feb 23, 2013 12:32 am 

Ride: AU XR8

NSW, Australia

the sensor on the back of the head is the au temp sensor..

Posted: Sat Feb 23, 2013 12:43 am 
Parts Gopher

SA, Australia

ok cheers, would the el cam and rocker gear work on that head? it seems to bolt on fine..

Posted: Sat Feb 23, 2013 1:37 am 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 2 images

Ride: AU Fairmont Ghia

SA, Australia

ahow6235 wrote:
ok cheers, would the el cam and rocker gear work on that head? it seems to bolt on fine..

No.
From memory the cam sits higher (? Someone confirm this ?) in the AU head, you'll end up bending valves etc. Better to take it back and get an EF/L head if you can.

dc_todd wrote:
Cheap pads squeal like cheap hookers, and you can take that to the bank.

Au Fairmont Ghia
My (Old) 95 EF Wagon

Posted: Sat Feb 23, 2013 7:27 am 
Technical Contributor

Gallery: 8 images

Ride: EF Fairmont

NSW, Australia

ahow6235 wrote:
hi all,

Cheers.

There are a few people who have stated that they have done it, Troyman has said that he has seen it done as well as DC_TODD. I did a google search and there were numerous threads on this over a number of sites.

All those that have done it or seen it done have stated that you must use the E series Cam with the E sreies rockers.

I am not going to confirm or deny you can do it as I have never seen it done or done it myself, but if Troyman and DC say they have seen it then that is good enough for me.

Posted: Sat Feb 23, 2013 8:58 am 
Stock as a Rock

Ride: 04 ba wagon

NSW, Australia

SWC wrote:
ahow6235 wrote:
hi all,

Cheers.

There are a few people who have stated that they have done it, Troyman has said that he has seen it done as well as DC_TODD. I did a google search and there were numerous threads on this over a number of sites.

All those that have done it or seen it done have stated that you must use the E series Cam with the E sreies rockers.

I am not going to confirm or deny you can do it as I have never seen it done or done it myself, but if Troyman and DC say they have seen it then that is good enough for me.

I'm using ef T head and cam with au rockers and all seems fine though I haven't had the motor running yet as I'm in the process of putting the motor and T5 conversion in but this weather won't let me finish.

..wagonstyle..
04 ba wagon, manual conversion, pacemaker extractors, custom exhaust, m86lsd, full electric window conversion, dual zone icc, gt front end with body kit getting made

Posted: Sat Feb 23, 2013 9:05 am 

NSW, Australia

wagonstyle wrote:
SWC wrote:
ahow6235 wrote:
hi all,

Cheers.

I'm using ef T head and cam with au rockers and all seems fine though I haven't had the motor running yet as I'm in the process of putting the motor and T5 conversion in but this weather won't let me finish.

it will actually run like a dog, because au have a 1.8 rocker ratio campared to the ef 2.0 rocker ratio.. so your cam will give you so much less lift than std..

go the otherway and fit a au cam with ef 2.0 rockers and smashy smashy your valves.

the main thing to remember is ef cam uses ef rockers, au cam use au rockers..

Posted: Sat Feb 23, 2013 9:30 am 
Parts Gopher

SA, Australia

Ok thanks heaps very helpful, so it's defiantly a no go. What if I find an au cam and rocker gear for the au head and put it on the el?

Posted: Sat Feb 23, 2013 9:51 am 

NSW, Australia

you can use the ef cam proving you use ef rockers..

if your not confident just fit au cam and rockers, it will work fine on the el engine.

Posted: Sat Feb 23, 2013 11:58 am 
Stock as a Rock

NSW, Australia

TROYMAN wrote:
wagonstyle wrote:
SWC wrote:
ahow6235 wrote:
hi all,

Cheers.

it will actually run like a dog, because au have a 1.8 rocker ratio campared to the ef 2.0 rocker ratio.. so your cam will give you so much less lift than std..

go the otherway and fit a au cam with ef 2.0 rockers and smashy smashy your valves.

So for the T head and cam to work at its best I'd be better of replacing the au rockers and put the std ef back in??

..wagonstyle..
04 ba wagon, manual conversion, pacemaker extractors, custom exhaust, m86lsd, full electric window conversion, dual zone icc, gt front end with body kit getting made

Posted: Sat Feb 23, 2013 1:27 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 18 images

Ride: 1997 EL XR6

Power: 180 rwkw

VIC, Australia

TROYMAN wrote:
wagonstyle wrote:
SWC wrote:
ahow6235 wrote:
hi all,

Cheers.

+1

MGW Short Throw Shifter, CVE Cam, CVE Head, SS Big Mouth Air Intake, Pacemaker Headers, 3" Exhaust, 3" Varex, 3" Cat, 19" Silver Agents, EMS Stinger 4424, 42lb Injectors and Walbro 255lb Fuel Pump

Next: Pacemaker Comps, 6 Individual Throttle Bodies, ICE Coil and ignition

Posted: Sat Feb 23, 2013 1:35 pm 
Parts Gopher

SA, Australia

Ill give it a try this arvo, ill put the el cam and rocker gear on the au head and bolt it on the el engine. Hope it works! Ill let you know how I go....

Posted: Sat Feb 23, 2013 5:11 pm 
Stock as a Rock

NSW, Australia

wagonstyle wrote:
TROYMAN wrote:
wagonstyle wrote:
SWC wrote:
ahow6235 wrote:
hi all,

Cheers.

So for the T head and cam to work at its best I'd be better of replacing the au rockers and put the std ef back in??

Whats the easiest way to replace rockers without messing up timing? Would i be able to leave timing gear on cam and just lift and replace rockers??

..wagonstyle..

Posted: Sat Feb 23, 2013 5:16 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: el fairmont ghia

QLD, Australia

yes unbolt the rockers and lift them off the cam and cam gear don't need to be touched

Muts EL Fairmont Ghia
did someone call 9 1 HOLY s**t?

Sort by  
 Page 1 of 2  [ 23 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next