AU head vs EA/EB - future plans 

Page 1 of 1 [ 4 posts ] 

Post subject: AU head vs EA/EB - future plans
Posted: Thu Sep 06, 2012 9:25 pm 
Oompa Loompa

Ride: Which One?

NSW, Australia

Planning for the wagon's future has begun. :mrgreen:

Went to the wreckers today to price a spare head for my 3.9 EB1. They tell me they aren't happy to/won't sell me a 3.9/4.0 head, they supply AU only as replacement. So that's head complete, rocker cover and whatever inlet that I chose for about $250. No I wont be using a variable runner from EF/EL. I have future plumbing reasons (read on). Basically, a goer head but ready to send off for machining. OK, whats so good about the AU head?

Plan is to buy a head and inlet, machine for a minimal increase in compression, match in/out ports, use a Crow "torque" cam (1000-3500 rpm range) and use existing Genie extractors - for now. Car is 4 spd auto wagon, diff is 3.27:1 and isn't getting a ratio change - yet .

Where's this leading? I'm thinking to go a manual 3.07 diff (1700rpm @ 100kph) and low blow turbo as a second stage to the project. This car is a country cruiser. The intercooler will be water to air. Why? Think Roo damage... :wink:

High revs=not so good, opposite to most of you young'uns 8-)
A round trip to a major center is 4hrs-ish drive so relaxed revs is nice.
Car is here: http://www.fordmods.com/the-garage-f53/roh-s-91-s-pack-wagon-t116177.html

What issues have I not considered? Comments appreciated. Ta.

Post subject: Re: AU head vs EA/EB - future plans
Posted: Sat Sep 08, 2012 1:09 am 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 4 images

Ride: ED Fairmont Ghia

QLD, Australia

AU heads are better if you wish to modify however they do flow well stock anyway. they also come with the 41mm exhaust valves stock. If you are planning on boost id recommend not changing to that cam you are probably better off with the factory cam.

ED Fairmont, Ghia mock DOHC-T 11.6 @ 118 Trying to get back to the 1/4!

Posted: Sat Sep 08, 2012 9:55 am 
Getting Side Ways

AU heads the newest, meaning they are less likely to be full of corrosion. I'd like to see a an EA/EB that has no corrosion and will pass a hardness test, I doubt you'll find one.

Posted: Sat Sep 08, 2012 7:29 pm 
Oompa Loompa

Ride: Which One?

NSW, Australia

Ah, Thanks for that guys. Ali heads going porous I've seen after a severe over-heating, didn't think of pre-existing internal corrosion bit.

What I'm wanting to achieve is torque in the 1000-3500 rpm-ish band with an early torque rise low in the rpm but a flat-ish torque curve, keeping in mind a cruising target of 1600-1700 rpm @ 100kph. Its not about acceleration. I suspect the turbo I'd be looking for would have to be a very low interia & slightly smaller than usual size for the six.

Time for me to do some math.

Sort by  
 Page 1 of 1  [ 4 posts ]