Fordmods Logo

Au head with ef rocker gear 

Page 2 of 3 [ 37 posts ] Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Posted: Fri Mar 28, 2008 4:14 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 11 images

Ride: EB1 Fairmont Ghia T5 Wagon

NSW, Australia

I think you will find that an AU engine with an E series ECU will accept a cam change easily.

The problem seems to be reported, by Wade Cams, that an AU ECU won't easily accept the cam.

I would go and check out the AU Forums on the Australian Ford Forums website. A number of them are running cams with good success.

BenJ

BenJ's EB T5 DOHC Ghia Wagon - Current Ride
BenJ's EB GL Sedan - Previous Ride
My respect and thanks go to - snap0964, Paulmac, SWC and MRE-50L

Posted: Fri Mar 28, 2008 5:42 pm 
Getting Side Ways

SA, Australia

Well im still very unsure,there are a couple that say you can run ef rocker gear and cam on an au head but some mixed info isnt really definite enough.I would need some 100% info before i risked it.Thanks alot for all the replies

165 Killer Wasps all packaged in a green kmart car, almost an explorer in a way...

Posted: Fri Mar 28, 2008 8:10 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: BF F6 Tornado - #0077

VIC, Australia

green car wrote:
Well im still very unsure,there are a couple that say you can run ef rocker gear and cam on an au head but some mixed info isnt really definite enough.I would need some 100% info before i risked it.Thanks alot for all the replies

same

** For Sale ** http://www.fordmods.com/ford-parts-for-sale-f17/assorted-e-series-parts-t124697.html

F6 Tornado 2006 Build

Is it about sex? The engine in my car? Or a cure for cancer?
No?

Then f**k off

Posted: Fri Mar 28, 2008 8:38 pm 
Getting Side Ways

fiftyone wrote:
green car wrote:

same

aside from the fact that some who posted in this thread is actualy running the early rocker gear in an AU head.

Posted: Sat Mar 29, 2008 12:47 am 
Getting Side Ways

VIC, Australia

tickford_6 wrote:
fiftyone wrote:
green car wrote:

same

aside from the fact that some who posted in this thread is actualy running the early rocker gear in an AU head.

i've also had people in other threads say it doesnt work

** For Sale ** http://www.fordmods.com/ford-parts-for-sale-f17/assorted-e-series-parts-t124697.html

F6 Tornado 2006 Build

No?

Then f**k off

Posted: Sat Mar 29, 2008 1:53 am 
NSW Cruise Moderator

Gallery: 12 images

Ride: TE50

NSW, Australia

ok your call.. I know it works, I've seen it work, and I know of people who run this setup in their cars with out a prob. the Issue Weeman had is not related to the E series rocker gear and cam its related to the RPD stg 4, these are a big monster f$%ker cam, they are the most lift you can have without doing stuf like butterfly cutting pistons and stuff, I have run the cam myself, no issues here with snapped springs,

ths issue that the AU head with the stg 4 is that it has conical springs, these bind with the amount of lift this particular cam has and therefor they snap, however, I highly doubt you will come across or install a cam in your car with the sort of lift these have. the E-series cam and rocker gear will still have the same lift and duration as the AU gear, it just has a different rocker geometry, the au was revised to smooth it out a bit thats pretty much all, without getting to technical.

IF

you do decide to do it, you just need to make sure you change the complete rocker assembly, pedastals ans all and cam.

your big advantage is that there are heaps of options for cams in the E-series range as the car was round for so long with no major revisions in the cam/ rocker gear area.

If

the supplier tells you to change springs, do it, otherwise they run a good chance of failure, and there is not muxh worse than a dropped valve smashing away at you pistons,

It is with confidence that I know this works, so i will leave it up to you, either leave it up to masses who are speculating and saying it PROBABLY won't, or take some advise from people who have done it and seen it working..

your car, your call.

I have a car.

Posted: Sat Mar 29, 2008 2:17 am 
Getting Side Ways

SA, Australia

Ok so as long as i bolt the ef cam and complete matching ef rocker gear on it will be fine.do i have to swap the ef rocker arms to the au pedestals? :?

165 Killer Wasps all packaged in a green kmart car, almost an explorer in a way...

Posted: Sun Mar 30, 2008 3:09 am 
Getting Side Ways

VIC, Australia

awsome, we might have a solid anwser then. Thanks todd

F6 Tornado 2006 Build

No?

Then f**k off

Posted: Sun Mar 30, 2008 11:29 pm 
NSW Cruise Moderator

Gallery: 12 images

Ride: TE50

NSW, Australia

just need to install the complete E series rocker gear, pedatals and all, don't chang the rocker arms as they are different geometry to the E-series.

I have a car.

Posted: Mon Mar 31, 2008 2:06 am 
Getting Side Ways

VIC, Australia

wouldnt have a clue how much a rocker train goes for these days then? (rough price)

F6 Tornado 2006 Build

No?

Then f**k off

Posted: Mon Mar 31, 2008 4:31 pm 
Getting Side Ways

SA, Australia

dc_todd wrote:
just need to install the complete E series rocker gear, pedatals and all, don't chang the rocker arms as they are different geometry to the E-series.

Thanks for your help

Posted: Tue Apr 01, 2008 11:27 pm 
Getting Side Ways

VIC, Australia

dc_todd, how'd you find out this could be done?

F6 Tornado 2006 Build

No?

Then f**k off

Posted: Thu Apr 03, 2008 2:51 am 
Smokin em up

WA, Australia

I put the AU conical valve springs under a spring compressor and was surprised how weak they are. These ones came in about 60lbs at the seat where as stock ED springs surprised me at being pretty strong at about 100lb at the seat.

So if you use the AU head the springs are pretty much useless with a performance cam.

Turbo 6s rule

Posted: Thu Apr 03, 2008 6:37 pm 
Tyre Shredder

Ride: AU Wagon

NSW, Australia

dc_todd wrote:
the E-series cam and rocker gear will still have the same lift and duration as the AU gear, it just has a different rocker geometry, the au was revised to smooth it out a bit thats pretty much all, without getting to technical.

The E-series rocker gear has a 2:1 ratio, the AU is 1.8:1. So a cam with say a .250" lobe lift will give a valve lift of 0.450" with AU rockers and 0.500" with the E-series ones.

This sounds like a sweet upgrade for a force-fed AU, the SC Commode V6 brigade do it all the time...

AU1.5 Wagon, Raptor ProStreet kit, Pacemaker 4499's with 3" collector, 3" metal cat, 3" pipe, Pex BSO660 & BSO439, BA brakes, Sprintgas mixer LPG system, Airod variable-venturi mixer... stealth FTW Sniper tuned!

To be updated... soon!

Posted: Thu Apr 03, 2008 8:29 pm 
Getting Side Ways

turbotrana wrote:
I put the AU conical valve springs under a spring compressor and was surprised how weak they are. These ones came in about 60lbs at the seat where as stock ED springs surprised me at being pretty strong at about 100lb at the seat.

So if you use the AU head the springs are pretty much useless with a performance cam.

the AU springs don't need to be as stiff because of the conical design.

they also carry a lighter retainer and lighter valve.

Sort by  
 Page 2 of 3  [ 37 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next