Fordmods Logo

AU headgasket on an EB 4l whats the go???? 

Page 1 of 1 [ 7 posts ] 

Post subject: AU headgasket on an EB 4l whats the go????
Posted: Sun Sep 24, 2006 5:23 pm 
Stock as a Rock

VIC, Australia

OK folks doing the head on the old man's XG pano...had it 5 weeks and its dropped out on no1 cyl got a gut full of water..(happy as can be....NOT..)...sending the head off tomorrow to get it checked over and reco'd aswell as the radiator...anyways back to the topic Ive heard alot of people use the AU headgasket on the earlier motor as they last longer/more reliable...whats the deal with this as I was at the parts shop today and supposedly the eb/ed/xg/ef/el/au are all the same only difference is the rocker cover gasket....not that Im worried about that got the speco one full rubber jobbie...

so if anyone can enlighten me as to wether the factory gasket is the AU tin/steel style it would be greatly appreciated...

Kev

Succesful trades with blur1, Felony, Jinxed, Dansedgli, Commando, Peyote, WAGHOON

Posted: Sun Sep 24, 2006 5:43 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: Falcon

SA, Australia

All the head gaskets ea-au are the same shape and are interchangeable, but the ford AU head gaskets are a MLS (multi-layer steel) type and are very strong.

Just go to a ford spare parts and ask for an AU head gasket. Expect to pay $80-90.

Stoke me a clipper, I'll be back for Christmas

Posted: Sun Sep 24, 2006 5:45 pm 
Technical Contributor

Gallery: 29 images

Ride: VU SS

NSW, Australia

It's the genuine AU one from ford that people are talking about.

Aftermarket could mean anything, and generally will not be like the metal AU one.

EF Fairmont now Sold!
Guides: Polishing|Modifications |Manual Conversion

Posted: Sun Sep 24, 2006 5:48 pm 
Stock as a Rock

VIC, Australia

thanx for the quick replies guys thats what I had figured the spares couldnt shed any light on the matter so I thought it must be a genuine thing...

at the end of it all are they really worth the extra $$$$..???? its only a work car for the old man, no mods never gets a hard time...

cheers again....Kev

Succesful trades with blur1, Felony, Jinxed, Dansedgli, Commando, Peyote, WAGHOON

Posted: Sun Sep 24, 2006 5:53 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: Falcon

SA, Australia

For the extra $50 it is probably worth putting one on, but if doen properly - new head bolts, flat and clean head and block, accurate torque settings - there is no reason why a normal head gasket wont last another 10 years.

Stoke me a clipper, I'll be back for Christmas

Posted: Sun Sep 24, 2006 6:00 pm 
Getting Side Ways

VIC, Australia

i personaaly beleive its worth it,i got my full vrs set from ford and just got the gasket swapped,easy as that,but as has been said flat clean surfaces and new correctly tensioned head bolts and a regular one will be fine and then have some beers after it with the money ya saved

97 el xr6,5 speed short shifter,sequential scoop,no arial,freshly resprayed,low on 17's,3 inch zorst,stainless hi flo cat,snort stage 3 stainless manifold,garrett t04e,front mount cooler,wolf 3d ecu,seimens 760cc injectors,walbro fuel pump

Posted: Sun Sep 24, 2006 6:01 pm 
Stock as a Rock

VIC, Australia

Im thinking you might be right..(ill price up a gasket in the morning and see the difference..)..Ill just deal with what I have head is off to get straightened/shaved etc tomorrow...the full reco whatever it needs.. new water pump reco rad, new head bolts...(a must for any E-series head job) all new hoses belts etc...no point doing the job halfway and I spose the original lasted the last 200,000 kms so I guess this one should too

Thanks for the advice been a few years since Ive been in the trade so yeah Im kinda out of touch with what works and what doesnt...

Kev

Sort by  
 Page 1 of 1  [ 7 posts ]