Fordmods Logo

AU III Tickford Snorkel vs EL GT Snorkel 

 

Page 1 of 1 [ 15 posts ] 

 
 Post subject: AU III Tickford Snorkel vs EL GT Snorkel
Posted: Thu Sep 15, 2005 6:30 pm 
Getting Side Ways
Offline
User avatar

Posts: 882

Joined: 5th Nov 2004

Gallery: 2 images

Ride: In Transition

Location: Sydney
NSW, Australia

After reading the FM document and several threads posted here already, i am still undecided which snorkel to get.

After reading a few threads and just simple word of mouth, the EL GT snorkel is a straight swap, however the AU Tickford requires cutting, drilling and some "precistance" in order to clear the thermofan cover.

Is the AU Tickford snorkel worth the extra effort, or will it have the same effect as the EL GT Snorkel, if it is, where exaclty must it be cut/trimmed? and will the thermofan cover be easy to get it to fit around?

Thanks in advance for tollerating yet another intake thread

 

_________________

Image
Member Since FM 1

Top
 Profile  
 
 
Posted: Thu Sep 15, 2005 6:36 pm 
Technical Contributor
Offline
User avatar

Age: 38

Posts: 4093

Joined: 20th Mar 2005

Gallery: 2 images

Ride: 2.0 Turbo VW

Power: 142 rwkw

Location: Seaford State:
VIC, Australia

The AU III snorkel looks better I believe!

it doesn't take long to install, A pair of strong scissors and I found a heat gun to re-shape the The AU III snorkel is just perfect!

as for gains I personally didn't notice any difference but having a throat almost twice the size certainly couldn't hurt could it?!

get it, cut it, heat it, shape it, drill ya radiator support and admire ;)

Cheers
Andrew

 

_________________

Carefree, we may not be number one, but we're up there.

Top
 Profile  
 
 
Posted: Thu Sep 15, 2005 6:49 pm 
Getting Side Ways
Offline
User avatar

Posts: 882

Joined: 5th Nov 2004

Gallery: 2 images

Ride: In Transition

Location: Sydney
NSW, Australia

Krytox wrote:
The AU III snorkel looks better I believe!

it doesn't take long to install, A pair of strong scissors and I found a heat gun to re-shape the The AU III snorkel is just perfect!

as for gains I personally didn't notice any difference but having a throat almost twice the size certainly couldn't hurt could it?!

get it, cut it, heat it, shape it, drill ya radiator support and admire ;)

Cheers
Andrew
just wondering, what/where exactly needed to be re-shaped and where did you have to cut?

 

_________________

Image
Member Since FM 1

Top
 Profile  
 
 
Posted: Thu Sep 15, 2005 6:51 pm 
Technical Contributor
Offline
User avatar

Age: 33

Posts: 5858

Joined: 5th Nov 2004

Gallery: 8 images

Ride: '95 EF's

Location: Leederville
WA, Australia

i punched one new hole for my AUIII snorkel - fits fine! :P

haha although some people don't necessarily agree with how i made that hole :wink:

 

_________________

R.I.P. Scotty

Top
 Profile  
 
 
 Post subject: Re: AU III Tickford Snorkel vs EL GT Snorkel
Posted: Fri Sep 16, 2005 7:36 pm 
Stock as a Rock
Offline

Age: 48

Posts: 119

Joined: 1st Aug 2005

Ride: Au2 & EF

Location: Brisbane
QLD, Australia

Leszek wrote:
After reading the FM document and several threads posted here already, i am still undecided which snorkel to get.

After reading a few threads and just simple word of mouth, the EL GT snorkel is a straight swap, however the AU Tickford requires cutting, drilling and some "precistance" in order to clear the thermofan cover.

Is the AU Tickford snorkel worth the extra effort, or will it have the same effect as the EL GT Snorkel, if it is, where exaclty must it be cut/trimmed? and will the thermofan cover be easy to get it to fit around?

Thanks in advance for tollerating yet another intake thread
I have an EL GT on my Ef & it is a straight swap. I have a Au tickford on my Au. They are about the same size. Problem is if you fit the Au snorkel it will get covered by the rubber when the bonnet is closed & will not be as effective. Go for the EL GT snorkel :idea:
Top
 Profile  
 
 
 Post subject: Re: AU III Tickford Snorkel vs EL GT Snorkel
Posted: Fri Sep 16, 2005 7:41 pm 
Getting Side Ways
Offline
User avatar

Posts: 882

Joined: 5th Nov 2004

Gallery: 2 images

Ride: In Transition

Location: Sydney
NSW, Australia

Sleeperau wrote:
I have an EL GT on my Ef & it is a straight swap. I have a Au tickford on my Au. They are about the same size. Problem is if you fit the Au snorkel it will get covered by the rubber when the bonnet is closed & will not be as effective. Go for the EL GT snorkel :idea:


Seems to be something similar to what i read up on, jim mock reccomends nothing but the EL gt is the only one worth using
well on the EF anyways, because of the shape of the bonnet
with the AU xr8 one is half blocked by the bonnet

Seems like the EL GT one is looking like the better choice atm

 

_________________

Image
Member Since FM 1

Top
 Profile  
 
 
Posted: Fri Sep 16, 2005 7:55 pm 
Stock as a Rock
Offline

Age: 48

Posts: 119

Joined: 1st Aug 2005

Ride: Au2 & EF

Location: Brisbane
QLD, Australia

EL GT is definately the way to go
Top
 Profile  
 
 
Posted: Fri Sep 16, 2005 7:56 pm 
Stock as a Rock
Offline

Age: 48

Posts: 119

Joined: 1st Aug 2005

Ride: Au2 & EF

Location: Brisbane
QLD, Australia

EL GT is definately the way to go
Top
 Profile  
 
 
Posted: Fri Sep 16, 2005 11:37 pm 
Stock as a Rock
Offline

Age: 33

Posts: 132

Joined: 29th Jul 2005

Location: not telling
NSW, Australia

has any one ever got a AU3 snorkle a EL GT snorkle and the standard snorkle , filled them up with water and mesured the amount becuase when u look at it there doesnt seem to be much diffrence and the standard snorkle in some places seems bigger.
Top
 Profile  
 
 
Posted: Fri Sep 16, 2005 11:41 pm 
Getting Side Ways
Offline
User avatar

Age: 44

Posts: 10126

Joined: 5th Nov 2004

Gallery: 4 images

Ride: EF Gli Ghia, XP Fairmont

Location: Perth
WA, Australia

Krytox wrote:
The AU III snorkel looks better I believe!

it doesn't take long to install, A pair of strong scissors and I found a heat gun to re-shape the The AU III snorkel is just perfect!

as for gains I personally didn't notice any difference but having a throat almost twice the size certainly couldn't hurt could it?!

get it, cut it, heat it, shape it, drill ya radiator support and admire ;)

Cheers
Andrew

surely the EL GT one's install instructions make it a clear choice - get it, fit it! No heating, shaping, drilling... :roll:

 

_________________

Owning 1 of 67612 EF GLi Sedans made
FACT: "Chuck Norris owns the greatest Poker Face of all-time. It helped him win the 1983 World Series of Poker despite him holding just a Joker, a Get out of Jail Free Monopoly card, a 2 of clubs, 7 of spades and a green #4 card from the game Uno."

Top
 Profile  
 
 
Posted: Sat Sep 17, 2005 12:14 am 
Getting Side Ways
Offline
User avatar

Age: 31

Posts: 11103

Joined: 15th Nov 2004

Ride: AU III XR8 Pursuit 250 ute

Location: Hobart
TAS, Australia

it makes no difference, there both pretty much the same and will do the same job. don't stress, just choose one and get it. personally i'd go AU as you get Tickford logo in your engine bay.

 

_________________

Heaps of performance EF/L parts for sale, including supercharged VCT motor!

2002 Ford AU Series III Falcon XR8 Pursuit 250 ute - 5.6L of V8 Windsor!

Top
 Profile  
 
 
Posted: Sat Sep 17, 2005 3:04 am 
Getting Side Ways
Offline

Age: 31

Posts: 3893

Joined: 15th Nov 2004

Gallery: 24 images

Ride: BF MKII V8 Fairmont Ghia

Location: Perth
WA, Australia

twr7cx wrote:
it makes no difference, there both pretty much the same and will do the same job. don't stress, just choose one and get it. personally i'd go AU as you get Tickford logo in your engine bay.


its all about the logo baby..

i know people say they have trouble with the ef bonet's but how about the ef fairmont bonets? they are slightly different, make fitting any easier?

 

_________________

2007 Steel BF Ghia MKII V8 - 19" GTP's + Superlows

Top
 Profile  
 
 
Posted: Sat Sep 17, 2005 3:31 am 
Smokin em up
Offline
User avatar

Age: 31

Posts: 229

Joined: 7th Feb 2005

Ride: EF Fairmont

Location: Perth
WA, Australia

Gaz wrote:
i know people say they have trouble with the ef bonet's but how about the ef fairmont bonets? they are slightly different, make fitting any easier?


when i did mine i had no problem at all, fit in fine and screwed into one of the existing holes, sit flush, also nite and tight, way it ought to be 8-)

if the problem is with the ef bonnets then perhaps the fairmonts are different as they are more like the el gli-futura bonnets

 

_________________

<br>

Top
 Profile  
 
 
Posted: Sat Sep 17, 2005 8:03 pm 
Parts Gopher
Offline

Age: 31

Posts: 70

Joined: 6th Sep 2005

Ride: AU II Fairlane

Location: Brisbane
QLD, Australia

whats the price difference between the both ???

 

_________________

AU II Fairlane Ghia 180 hp@ the wheels, Pacemaker 4499, RedBack 2.5", stock CAT, CAI, Lovells low's. More to come

Top
 Profile  
 
 
Posted: Sat Sep 17, 2005 8:19 pm 
Getting Side Ways
Offline
User avatar

Age: 31

Posts: 11103

Joined: 15th Nov 2004

Ride: AU III XR8 Pursuit 250 ute

Location: Hobart
TAS, Australia

Gaz wrote:
i know people say they have trouble with the ef bonet's but how about the ef fairmont bonets? they are slightly different, make fitting any easier?


I don't see how anyone would have trouble with EF bonnets if tyhey read the technical document. I didn't.

 

_________________

Heaps of performance EF/L parts for sale, including supercharged VCT motor!

2002 Ford AU Series III Falcon XR8 Pursuit 250 ute - 5.6L of V8 Windsor!

Top
 Profile  
 
Display posts from previous:
Sort by  
 Page 1 of 1  [ 15 posts ] 

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Google Adsense [Bot] and 34 guests


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot post attachments in this forum

 

 

It is currently Mon Dec 18, 2017 8:42 pm All times are UTC + 11 hours

 

 

(c)2014 Total Web Solutions Australia - Australian Web Hosting and Domain Names