Page 1 of 1 [ 4 posts ] 

Post subject: au motor ticking noise
Posted: Mon May 23, 2011 9:38 pm 
Oompa Loompa

Gallery: 6 images

Ride: EA fairmont

Power: 132 rwkw

SA, Australia

I had the AUX shaft replaced in the AU motor cos the original shaft had the teeth strippedImage
got a new shaft put in and new distributor as well. Also replaced the timing chain and chain guides as one of them were broken and had been broken for a while. Once the motor was back together and running it ran fine for a couple of days then started to tick. I was told it was the lash adjusters so i got all new lash adjusters and seals. had them fitted, But it still ticked and it sounded like it was on the drivers side. So removed the rocker cover found a small crack in the rocker assembly. So i got a complete second hand rocker assembly for An AU. had it installed and it still ticked on the drivers side towards the back of the motor. so i then had the lash adjusters on no.5-6 replaced as this is where the tick was coming from. but it still has a tick but not as bad. the engine has good oil pressure.
The only other thing i can think of is it could be the oil. Its due for the oil change in 500kms. (I change the oil every 5000kms).Its starting to do my head in, so any help would be appreciated.
Thanks
Ben

Post subject: Re: au motor ticking noise
Posted: Mon May 23, 2011 11:21 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 22 images

Ride: AU2 XR8 ute & 91 EA bitsa

VIC, Australia

What grade of oil are you using? 15w40?

Are you using a Bosch distributor now? Chinese copies have been the cause of auxiliary gears chewing out. It's either the dizzy gear not meshing properly with the aux gear, or the poor quality steel they use for the dizzy gear.

AU2 XR8 with Raptor VL, ported Yella Terra GT40P heads, Scorpion 1.6 RRs, XE264HR-14 Comp Cam, ceramic coated Hurricane Headers, 60lb injectors, Walbro 255, 200cfi cats, 3" exhaust & Snow Performance water methanol injection

Posted: Mon May 23, 2011 11:34 pm 
Oompa Loompa

Gallery: 6 images

Ride: EA fairmont

Power: 132 rwkw

SA, Australia

Shortshift wrote:
What grade of oil are you using? 15w40?

Are you using a Bosch distributor now? Chinese copies have been the cause of auxiliary gears chewing out. It's either the dizzy gear not meshing properly with the aux gear, or the poor quality steel they use for the dizzy gear.

nah only one from repco cos no where around me has a bosh one or say they can't get them.

and im using mobile 1 as i got it from work for nothing. they use it in all the Ba-f and FGs as they are a ford service center

Posted: Mon May 23, 2011 11:46 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 22 images

Ride: AU2 XR8 ute & 91 EA bitsa

VIC, Australia

You can get the Bosch dizzys rebuilt. I had a Chinese one when I did my engine rebuild and quickly changed it when I saw what was happening with them.

Have you run your engine with the rocker cover off to see how much oil is getting to the rockers? Just need to have a piece of cardboard bent in a U-shape over the timing chain while the engine is idling.

AU2 XR8 with Raptor VL, ported Yella Terra GT40P heads, Scorpion 1.6 RRs, XE264HR-14 Comp Cam, ceramic coated Hurricane Headers, 60lb injectors, Walbro 255, 200cfi cats, 3" exhaust & Snow Performance water methanol injection

Sort by  
 Page 1 of 1  [ 4 posts ]