Fordmods Logo

AU power 

Page 2 of 2 [ 27 posts ] Go to page Previous  1, 2

Posted: Fri Aug 08, 2008 5:24 pm 
Smokin em up

Ride: AU 6

VIC, Australia

good luck pal, why dont you just do it properly from the start instead of fkin around, build the motor to handle the power not give the motor the power it cant handle!!

Posted: Fri Aug 08, 2008 10:57 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 32 images

Ride: BA XR6T (mix of BA, BF and FG)

WA, Australia

I've heard it said that AU bottoms can reliably take 10psi.. but I've not heard anyone in the industry give a higher figure.

I'm planning on putting 9-10 PSI into my stock EL motor.. if/when it dies.. I'll transfer everything onto a rebuilt AU motor.. but I love low end/ midrange torque.. so I don't rev the ring out of my motors... One of the reasons I picked the ford i6 and one of the reasons I picked supercharger over turbo.

Posted: Sat Aug 09, 2008 9:19 am 
Getting Side Ways

VIC, Australia

why dont you guys all call mikes dyno tuning and tell them more then 10psi wont last on standard bottom end...or just look up their ea with standard ef internals

97 el xr6,5 speed short shifter,sequential scoop,no arial,freshly resprayed,low on 17's,3 inch zorst,stainless hi flo cat,snort stage 3 stainless manifold,garrett t04e,front mount cooler,wolf 3d ecu,seimens 760cc injectors,walbro fuel pump

Posted: Sat Aug 09, 2008 11:40 am 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 7 images

Ride: AU XR6

Power: 171 rwkw

NSW, Australia

madeaspack wrote:
why dont you guys all call mikes dyno tuning and tell them more then 10psi wont last on standard bottom end...or just look up their ea with standard ef internals

yeah I'm sure every body has seen or heard about this car, however they have been known to swap engines at meets to keep the car running.

What they are doin and what you want to do are 2 different things, their car is for drag racing only not driving daily if you want to build a drag car build one.

9/98 AU1 XR6hp-about to retire from the road and be reborn on the race track.
86 ZL mint grandpa spec with premo sound and 150000km
07 TTG 60000km stock as, mods to come.
97 el futura about to be MOCKed

Posted: Sat Aug 09, 2008 7:50 pm 
Stock as a Rock

Ride: ED FAIRMONT

VIC, Australia

ive seen 15psi ran through a stock el motor, it lasted about 4 months, mate if you spend about $1k - $2k on your engine before you up the boost, you will save alot of money in the long run

Posted: Sun Aug 10, 2008 5:17 pm 
Getting Side Ways

VIC, Australia

it'll be fine at 15

97 el xr6,5 speed short shifter,sequential scoop,no arial,freshly resprayed,low on 17's,3 inch zorst,stainless hi flo cat,snort stage 3 stainless manifold,garrett t04e,front mount cooler,wolf 3d ecu,seimens 760cc injectors,walbro fuel pump

Posted: Sun Aug 10, 2008 5:36 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: el falcon

Power: 608 rwkw

WA, Australia

stock e series bottom end will handle 15psi easy and reliable.

the au bottom end has slightly weaker rods so i probably wouldn't go much further than 15psi.

at the end of the day if the tune is good it will live.

my el bottom end is still stock and is running 17.5psi and 394rwkw, it gets driven every day. and see's full boost daily

# 1997 EL Falcon GLI - 600+rwkw

# 2008 FPV FG GTE - Xa Coilovers, 20x8/ 20x10 Fairladys

Posted: Sun Aug 10, 2008 7:54 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: Supercharged BA XL ute

QLD, Australia

At 15 psi mate it's up to you how long it all holds together.
The AU's had a tough bottom end but nothin' lasts forever ... near the limit.If and when you get detonation it may come apart.
At 15psi i'd be building another one up and flogging errr.. driving the runner,whilst getting some hands on tec with the forced AU.

BA XL ute.
P'maker headers',Hi flow cat,3" sports sytem,
Raptor V-clutched lightweight not intercooled,no tranny cooler,no worries.

Posted: Sun Aug 10, 2008 8:33 pm 
Getting Side Ways

ebxr82nv wrote:
madeaspack wrote:
im running a stock 70,000km au motor with a snort stage 3 kit running 9 psi,not sure on power as yet but it goes pretty hard,have got a very good tune,am going to run 15psi with the stock motor as soon as i upgrade the clutch,its just holding on

15 psi on a stock bottom end, best of luck with that, maybe you shouldnt get your ambitions mixed up with your engines capabilitys. looking into my crystal ball I see bent rods and smashed pistons in your future.

And to grizly if you havent bought the motor yet look for an lpg bottom end and put it with a petrol top end the lpg bottoms are much stronger

AU LPG and petrol engines are the same. they only went to stronger rods in the BA AFTER the release of the tyhpoon. (LPG and typhoon rods are same thing)
and they aren't that much stronger anyway. not enough so that you'd go looking for them. just buy a set of cheap H-beams

Posted: Mon Aug 11, 2008 10:50 am 
Getting Side Ways

VIC, Australia

im going to run a hi low boost switch so it wont be daily driven 15psi,im confident it will last at 15 anyway,iv been very careful with the tune and its never pinged once

Post subject: Engine
Posted: Thu Nov 13, 2008 1:26 am 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 1 images

Ride: 08 BF Ghia

VIC, Australia

15 PSI will last all of one minute before the engine spews up its internals all over the place in tiny bits! I wouldnt do anymore than 8-9 PSI.

Posted: Thu Nov 13, 2008 1:36 am 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 32 images

Ride: BA XR6T (mix of BA, BF and FG)

WA, Australia

well how expensive are these engines anyway? I got my good one for 100 bucks and I can get AU longs for about 200.. so who cares if one dies.. I'll just grab another.

It also depends how often it spends at 15psi.. that is after all a max figure and it may only be there for short periods.

I'm only after 10-12 psi max.. but if I get the power I'm looking for (about 250rwkw) at 7 or 8 then great.. I'll be happy with that.

Sorry for jumping in there grizley...

rgds

Frank

Sort by  
 Page 2 of 2  [ 27 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2