Fordmods Logo

AU Rough Cold Starts 

Page 1 of 1 [ 9 posts ] 

Post subject: AU Rough Cold Starts
Posted: Mon Dec 14, 2009 9:54 am 
Stock as a Rock

Ride: AUII XR6, EBII XR6

SA, Australia

Hey guys, I have an AUII XR6 and every now and then it struggles to start, usually when cold... I turn the key to ignition and it sits there coughin and splutterin while I have to hold the key in ignition for about 10 seconds before it starts. Usually have to pump the gas to get it to idle when it does this.
After it starts though it is fine, no lack of power or stalling or anything.

I think it sounds like there is plenty of spark, so I am suspecting either fuel pump, filter, or possibly injectors (4 and 5 are ticking pretty severely)??? sure is annoying though especially when people look at your car in the car park struggling to start lol

What do you guys think?... There is 2 filters isnt there, one at the back under the tank, and one next to the injection rail, is that right?

Cheers,

Brenton

EBII S XR6: 5 Speed short shifter, 4499s, gutted cat, 2.5" Redback, K&N Pod.
AUII XR6: 5 speed, King Super Low Rears.

Post subject: Re: AU Rough Cold Starts
Posted: Mon Dec 14, 2009 9:41 pm 
Stock as a Rock

Gallery: 10 images

Ride: 95 EF Mont

VIC, Australia

if its only happening in the morning theres a possability of a almost dead battery

cheers.

1995 EF Ford Falcon Fairmont

2.5" Mandrel bent cat back exhaust
Custom intake snorkel
Clarion 6.5" speakers in front
Sony xplod 6x9's on rear parcel shelf
Twin 12" soundstream Subwoofers in boot
500 Watt alpine amplifier

Posted: Tue Dec 15, 2009 7:26 pm 
Stock as a Rock

SA, Australia

Yeah it may be... But I am thinking fuel related as it seems to have plenty of spark... and starts to idle then it just stalls unless I hold the key in ignition for like 10 seconds. It probably does it once every 10-15 starts.

Posted: Wed Dec 16, 2009 11:59 pm 
Smokin em up

Gallery: 6 images

Ride: '98 EL XR8

NT, Australia

Im currently looking into the same situation... I just sold my BA sedan for a BA ute... the sedan would start first time everytime at the turn of the key. With my ute, I have to engage the starter motor for about 5-6 seconds before it will even consider starting (hot or cold) and then usually blows a little white smoke??? Leaking gasket maybe?.

If anyone knows what might cause this let us know... Ive changed the plugs, air and fuel filters and blasted the throttle body with cleaner.

And yeah, it is kinda embarassing cranking a newish vehicle for ages in the car park.

"...we can rebuild him, we have the technology... we just dont want to spend a lot of money."
SIX MILLION PESO FALCON

Posted: Thu Dec 17, 2009 7:14 pm 
Fordmods Newbie

Ride: 1991 Ford Falcon EB 1 Wagon

VIC, Australia

Hey how you doing? Is the AU using any water as of recent to me it almost sounds as if the head gasket it leaking into one of the bores. I would check the plugs for any rust like water has been getting in also watch for any white smoke exiting the exhaust on start up but then again could be a sticking injector, fuel pump not building up enough pressure etc etc

Falcon EB 1 wagon, ported/polished/cc'd head. K-line valve guide. 3-angle valve grind. Extractors. Hi-flow cat. 2 1/2 mandrel bend exhaust. re-built motor with ACL parts. Roll Master timing Kit. Manual conversion. Lowered 3in. Full Spooled Diff. Broad Band Manifold conversion. Stage 3 Crow Cam.

Posted: Fri Dec 18, 2009 9:26 am 
Stock as a Rock

SA, Australia

It does lose water out the overflow tank I think there may be air in the system. The oil appears normal so I don't think it is a head gasket. I may be wrong though.

Posted: Fri Dec 18, 2009 4:50 pm 
Parts Gopher

Ride: toyo,2ea,3eb,1ef,1el,zh

QLD, Australia

it is head gasket--water gallery to cylinder leak----before starting for first time in morning remove all plugs---open full throttle---crank engine on starter---watch plug holes---bet you see water or water vapor blowing out of 1 or more holes-- :x

Posted: Sun Dec 20, 2009 7:57 pm 
Stock as a Rock

SA, Australia

xcbest wrote:
it is head gasket--water gallery to cylinder leak----before starting for first time in morning remove all plugs---open full throttle---crank engine on starter---watch plug holes---bet you see water or water vapor blowing out of 1 or more holes-- :x

I'll try this at some stage, this would definitely indicate a blown head gasket? Is it normal to not lose any power if you have a blown head gasket?

cheers for the replies

Posted: Mon Dec 21, 2009 8:08 pm 
Parts Gopher

Ride: AU1 VCT & AU2 XL

NSW, Australia

havok wrote:
xcbest wrote:

I'll try this at some stage, this would definitely indicate a blown head gasket? Is it normal to not lose any power if you have a blown head gasket?

cheers for the replies
Well, if you've got the time, then now might be a good time to do some light porting on the AU head! Check out what wagon dad has been doing. At the least buy and use new re-usable head bolts and obviously a new AU metal headgasket.

Sort by  
 Page 1 of 1  [ 9 posts ]