Fordmods Logo

AU valve springs 

Page 1 of 1 [ 10 posts ] 

Post subject: AU valve springs
Posted: Sun Dec 06, 2009 1:43 am 
Smokin em up

Ride: ED XR6, AUII XR8

VIC, Australia

There's not much info around about stock au valve springs, just seeing what sorta lift they can hack. I'm going to be installing a wade au1645 cam with .512" lift and am not to sure if i need stronger springs. I know you can get crow have double springs, but they need machining...and i'd rather not unless they're gunna break:P. Any info would be great.

ED XR6, LeMans Red, 5-Speed
AUII XR8, Silhouette, 5-Speed

Post subject: Re: AU valve springs
Posted: Sun Dec 06, 2009 9:49 am 

Ride: AU XR8

NSW, Australia

im running the same cam in my au vct xr6 engine and its fine.
wade state this cam can still be used on std springs!

Posted: Mon Dec 14, 2009 2:42 pm 
Smokin em up

VIC, Australia

Is there any difference between xr6 and standard springs in the AU, cause i've only got a standard head?

Posted: Sat Jan 16, 2010 11:17 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: EF Falcon GLi

SA, Australia

Hay do use no if ya need a chip to run this cam i hade an EL Hybrid with the AU1645 and it killed my engine, im now installing an AU bare long with serpintine with EB everything else including ECU will it idle it never idled be4 not properly

Now, I've got a message for all the other drivers out there. If you smell a delicious, crispy smell after the race, it's not your tailpipe. It's just a little of Shake...and Bake!
SHAKE AND BAKE

Posted: Sat Jan 16, 2010 11:19 pm 
Smokin em up

VIC, Australia

What do you mena it 'killed' your engine:S

Posted: Sun Jan 17, 2010 5:23 am 
Getting Side Ways

SA, Australia

It hunted real bad and stalled alot and eventually one day blew my spark plugs 6&4 to bits, it was over fueling, and fuel was coming out my throttle body and in my filter im not blaming just the cam i think a vacume leak may have caused to much fuel to go through (so ive been told) i fully intend on using the AU1645 cam again just not without a J3 chip or capa eliminator, it was not the cams fault as such as the set up i ran dont have second thoughts just make sure the set up is spot on there is no room for error. Im not saying Wade grinds are bad cams at all they are great just it would have been nice if the guys had said use a chip instead of the cam is fine with the stock lot.....and Wade say standard springs are fine but you need to add the second shim in all the lash adjusters or it will sound like crap!! But modified ECU is a must with a AU1645 or 977b and propper tune and timing. lol but live and learn i still love my falcon!!!

Now, I've got a message for all the other drivers out there. If you smell a delicious, crispy smell after the race, it's not your tailpipe. It's just a little of Shake...and Bake!
SHAKE AND BAKE

Posted: Sun Jan 17, 2010 7:56 am 

Ride: AU XR8

NSW, Australia

ford-racer46 wrote:
It hunted real bad and stalled alot and eventually one day blew my spark plugs 6&4 to bits, it was over fueling, and fuel was coming out my throttle body and in my filter im not blaming just the cam i think a vacume leak may have caused to much fuel to go through (so ive been told) i fully intend on using the AU1645 cam again just not without a J3 chip or capa eliminator, it was not the cams fault as such as the set up i ran dont have second thoughts just make sure the set up is spot on there is no room for error. Im not saying Wade grinds are bad cams at all they are great just it would have been nice if the guys had said use a chip instead of the cam is fine with the stock lot.....and Wade say standard springs are fine but you need to add the second shim in all the lash adjusters or it will sound like crap!! But modified ECU is a must with a AU1645 or 977b and propper tune and timing. lol but live and learn i still love my falcon!!!

it sounds like your cam timing was out??
if your getting fuel comming out your throttle body your intake valves are not closing at the right time??.. the 1645 can be used on std springs im running the same cam. but you obviously ignored the fact that wade cams state that this cam needs ecu modification.. did you talk to them before you ordered it??..
it wasnt a vacuum leak that caused the over fueiling....with this cam the manifold vacuum is lower at idle causing the map sensor to receive lower vacuum and the ecu thinks the car is at partal load dumping in more fuel...i

Posted: Sun Jan 17, 2010 3:39 pm 
Getting Side Ways

SA, Australia

Obviously ignored the fact? they say modified ECU its recomended/prefered not essential and i was told by them in person the cam will just drop in and run.

SHAKE AND BAKE

Posted: Tue Jan 19, 2010 11:27 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 21 images

Ride: 98 EL Futura

Power: 199 rwkw

VIC, Australia

not having a J3 will not blow your engine, it will just run rough. When i had my first cam done, the timing was way out and it snapped 1 and 6 spark plugs, the valves bent and went straight through the pistons in 1 and 6 also.

EL Futura: CVE head, Wolf V500, ICE Ignition and Coil, 36lb injectors, Walbro 255lb, Paci comps, 3" exhaust, T5, Harrop Truetrac with 3.9s. Now with 198.9rwkw, (~185rwkw and 13.80 @99.1mph) with more power to come

Posted: Wed Jan 20, 2010 5:51 pm 
Getting Side Ways

SA, Australia

Yeah man ive been to a mechanic ad they say the same thing, the timing was out and did what yours did sucks hay, couse mine hunted bad and then boom so i assumed cam but yeah it was timing...doesn matter tho got a new AU engine in it but ill be waiting for a chip to stop the s**t running be4 i install thanks dude

SHAKE AND BAKE

Sort by  
 Page 1 of 1  [ 10 posts ]