Fordmods Logo

AU VCT into EBII 

Page 3 of 10 [ 141 posts ] Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 ... 10  Next

Post subject: Re: AU VCT into EBII
Posted: Thu Apr 30, 2009 1:11 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 7 images

QLD, Australia

You can use the AU Lower Manifold, but need to use the EL Upper as the IAT Sensor in the EL is different. The AU Uses a TMAP Sensor which is also the MAP Sensor, but its signal is completely different.

You can use the AU upper Manifold with the TMAP Sensor *only getting Temp*...

You still need the EL MAP sensor. You also have the choice of getting engine temp from the EL Temp sensor on the Thermostat Housing, or using the AU Temp Sensor at the back of the head (meaning you can just use the AU Thermostat housing). Just need to extend the 2 leads.

Nigel

Posted: Thu Apr 30, 2009 1:36 pm 
Tyre Shredder

Ride: ED, EB11, 351 XF

New Zealand

Thanks for that
Would it be smart to use EL sensors?
And If I can get my Hands On one I think an XR6 Manual ECU would be the way to go :D

Posted: Thu Apr 30, 2009 3:02 pm 
Fordmods Junkie

duvauchellemotors wrote:
Thanks for that
And If I can get my Hands On one I think an XR6 Manual ECU would be the way to go :D

A J3 chip would be cheaper and easier as XR6 manual ECU's are dearer than standerd ECU's, and are hard to find.

Troyman I was only going on what I was told with the AU BBM, but no worries there.

Why not use the fuel rail? It has higher pressure to suit the XR tune. It may not give heaps more power but it makes sense to put it on to me.

I was also told the AU plenum will bolt on the EF BBM, so you can then take advantage of the mounting points for the AU or BA intake.

Josh

Posted: Thu Apr 30, 2009 3:08 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 11 images

Ride: EB1 Fairmont Ghia T5 Wagon

NSW, Australia

It is the top half of the AU BBM that you are not able to use. The EL BBM has the intake mounting bosses, where the EF BBM does not. The AU and EL intake box and piping are the same up to the piece that goes around to the throttle body. I used to run the AU pipe on my EL engine.

The fuel rail itself is no different to the EF or EL one. If you want the higher pressure you need to ensure you use the 300kpa fuel pressure reg, which bolts on to the end of the fuel rail. I would also recommend using the AU injectors, but get them cleaned first.

BenJ

BenJ's EB T5 DOHC Ghia Wagon - Current Ride
BenJ's EB GL Sedan - Previous Ride
My respect and thanks go to - snap0964, Paulmac, SWC and MRE-50L

Posted: Thu Apr 30, 2009 3:10 pm 
Tyre Shredder

New Zealand

Where can I get A J3 chip in NZ?

Posted: Thu Apr 30, 2009 3:12 pm 
Getting Side Ways

NSW, Australia

You will have to order one from the guys over here in Aus.

Check the sponsor forums at the top of the forum page, they are the last one listed.

BenJ

Posted: Thu Apr 30, 2009 3:13 pm 

Ride: AU XR8

NSW, Australia

XR-Lane wrote:
duvauchellemotors wrote:
Thanks for that

A J3 chip would be cheaper and easier as XR6 manual ECU's are dearer than standerd ECU's, and are hard to find.

Troyman I was only going on what I was told with the AU BBM, but no worries there.

Why not use the fuel rail? It has higher pressure to suit the XR tune. It may not give heaps more power but it makes sense to put it on to me.

I was also told the AU plenum will bolt on the EF BBM, so you can then take advantage of the mounting points for the AU or BA intake.

Josh

yea i guess if your using the xr tune with the au reg it will be ok otherwise it will run to rich..
as ive sent my xr ecu to chiptorque for the s/c chip &tune and ive fitted the std ecu and holy s**t does it run rich now with the xr reg and std ecu..

if you want the mounting points for the au/ba intake use the el manifold.. as they have the mounting points aswell..

Posted: Thu Apr 30, 2009 3:29 pm 
Fordmods Junkie

TROYMAN wrote:
XR-Lane wrote:
duvauchellemotors wrote:
Thanks for that

Josh

yea i guess if your using the xr tune with the au reg it will be ok otherwise it will run to rich..
as ive sent my xr ecu to chiptorque for the s/c chip &tune and ive fitted the std ecu and holy s**t does it run rich now with the xr reg and std ecu..

if you want the mounting points for the au/ba intake use the el manifold.. as they have the mounting points aswell..

Thanks for that, its just I have the full BBM that came with the VCT engine here so thats what I was planning to use. but I thought the sensors were on the throttle body, if I just swap the AU plenum to the EF BBM and use the EF throttle body that would be alright.

Posted: Thu Apr 30, 2009 4:41 pm 
Tyre Shredder

New Zealand

So if i use the XR ECU ill have to get an XR fule REG

Posted: Thu Apr 30, 2009 5:08 pm 
Getting Side Ways

NSW, Australia

duvauchellemotors wrote:
So if i use the XR ECU ill have to get an XR fule REG

You don't 'HAVE' to. I ran the XR ECU for a fair while before I scored a Fuel Reg to match.

BenJ

Posted: Thu Apr 30, 2009 6:07 pm 
Fordmods Junkie

True as you know Ben I am now using the standerd one myself. But if he is getting the BBM with the engine he may aswell chuck it on.

Posted: Thu Apr 30, 2009 6:38 pm 

NSW, Australia

as long as he can work out how to connect the ait part of the t map up to the el ecu.
it can work..

Posted: Thu Apr 30, 2009 7:03 pm 
Fordmods Junkie

Is that the sensor on the plenum under the fuel rail? because I have just had a look at my lane and my AU BBM and the 2 sensors on the throttle body are the same, and the third sensor under the fuel rail on the plenum has conflicting sensors. the ef one is like a fitting that screws into the plenum, and the AU one has a sensor that has 2 screws bolting it on to the plenum. I cant get the dam thing off the AU plenum because it has torx screws in it but I am assuming the tapped hole is there under the sensor for the EF sensor to screw into it. And if the hole is not tapped, its just a case of getting 1/4 inch BSP tap and tap the thread in there for it.

I see no reason why the AU BBM will not work, They both bolt onto the engine they have all the same vacuum points, they use the same type of fuel rail and injectors except of course the AU has better 3 jet injectors and the fuel reg is a tickford one. and 2 out of the 3 sensors will bolt on ant the 3rd one imo can be modded to go on with ease.

I will be using the AU plenum I have for 2 reasons, because I already have it and I cant be stuffed taking the whole BBM off again.

In any case If the sensor is the issue, I belive that you can get around it. If once I get the AU sensor off the plenum and find the hole for the sensor is different it can be drilled out to suit the tap thread size of the EF sensor.

I have 2 conflicting views on this, one being from BenJ and Troyman who say its not possible, and they both have done alot of conversions and know what they are talking about. Ant the other from Phantom who says it can be done, and has had his share of conversions himself and to top it off he works as a mechanic at a Ford wreckers in adelaide.

So putting both those views aside, By what I can see at the very least the AU plenum can be used on my EF BBM. But I have to fit it and have it running before I can prove this.

Josh

Posted: Thu Apr 30, 2009 7:13 pm 

NSW, Australia

well i didnt say it cant be done but it is much easier to use the el manifold.
the sensor im refering to is the one under the fuel rail.. and there is no hole for the e series sensor under it..
so it will need to be drilled and tapped to fit the e series one.
also there is no fitting for the map sensor vacuum on the au manifold but you can use another vacuum port..
also the au tps(on the throttle has different voltage reference) and the isc will work but has a different plug..

Posted: Thu Apr 30, 2009 7:19 pm 
Fordmods Junkie

TROYMAN wrote:
well i didnt say it cant be done but it is much easier to use the el manifold.
the sensor im refering to is the one under the fuel rail.. and there is no hole for the e series sensor under it..
so it will need to be drilled and tapped to fit the e series one.
also there is no fitting for the map sensor vacuum on the au manifold but you can use another vacuum port..
also the au tps(on the throttle has different voltage reference) and the isc will work but has a different plug..

Ok troy fair enough, but the tps and the isc are on the throttle body, you could just use the EF throttle body and not have any problems there. and where is the map sensor vacuum on the AU manifold?

Cheers Josh

Sort by  
 Page 3 of 10  [ 141 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 ... 10  Next