Fordmods Logo

au vct swap questions 

Page 1 of 1 [ 7 posts ] 

Post subject: au vct swap questions
Posted: Thu Aug 23, 2012 1:05 am 
Oompa Loompa

Ride: Fairlane v8

QLD, Australia

Okay i get the physical stuff thats required for the swap. Got an au bellhousing. Gettting a stally to put in (probably around the 2800 mark. Thought i may as well do that while the motor is out.) What i wanna know about is the difference in the au motor loom and the el wiring loom. I also would like to know if i can overcome it (or most of the problems) with a tuning chip stuffed into the ecu. I've got access to someone who can tune it so thats not an issue. I have a bit of auto electrical work done under my belt so i know how to solder and read a wiring diagram. Wiring extensions should be no problem. Im also presuming that an el cam cannot be used in an au motor ( had a mild cam in mine couldnt tell you the grind cause all i found was a cast number nothing else.) Looking for tunability cause its going to be street/strip

Post subject: Re: au vct swap questions
Posted: Thu Aug 23, 2012 7:23 am 

Ride: AU XR8

NSW, Australia

if you want street strip performance dont use the vct head. the cam options on vct are next to nil..
you can however remove the vct cam and gear and fit a non vct aftermarket au cam.

to fit it in your el best to just use the el loom and fit the el dizzy.
incase you not aware, you also need to either cut and modify the au sump or cut and weld the k frame..

Posted: Thu Aug 23, 2012 11:48 am 
Oompa Loompa

QLD, Australia

Yeah i did the k frame cut. Last time i was here i got the s**t because i was told to modify the sump but i took what was easier to me at the time. I have no idea how to tig anyway. Just gotta plate the hole over before i put the motor in.

Ok so getting rid of the vct crap. The cam stuff at the front with the tickford wings has gotta go right? What do i replace the hole with? I've been told i can leave vct unplugged too is this true?

Posted: Thu Aug 23, 2012 12:20 pm 

NSW, Australia

the front part can go back on, you remove the front, remove the vct cam and cam gear, you then fit the non vct au cam and cam gear.
now provding there is no power to the vct solinoid you can leave the oil line connected..
in mine i eventually removed the oil line and pluged the oil line to the vct unit with a short bolt..

otherwise you can leave the vct cam in there and dont connect it up, but the cam will be in its high rpm position, meaning it will rev well but will be a little slack down low..
if you go to a non vct cam you have a bigger variety of aftermarket cams to choose from..

here is a pic of mine with the std cam and gear fitted, the vct unit just plugs the hole in the fromt.lol

Posted: Thu Aug 23, 2012 1:21 pm 
Oompa Loompa

QLD, Australia

Ahh cheers, pictures help heaps :) so out with the cam and toss it....where-ever, put in new one and matching gear l. Vct for looks. Seems legit :)

Umm the temp sensor at the back of the head, will it suit the connection for the thermostat sensor off the el? If it does, its just an extension job there isn't it?

Posted: Thu Aug 23, 2012 1:39 pm 

NSW, Australia

Wolf454 wrote:
Ahh cheers, pictures help heaps :) so out with the cam and toss it....where-ever, put in new one and matching gear l. Vct for looks. Seems legit :)

Umm the temp sensor at the back of the head, will it suit the connection for the thermostat sensor off the el? If it does, its just an extension job there isn't it?

yep it will be a vct by looks only..lol.

im not to sure about the head temp sensor, i have heard it is compatable.
but i just used the e series one, no need to extend wires that way...

Posted: Thu Aug 23, 2012 1:44 pm 
Oompa Loompa

QLD, Australia

Ok thats good cause my temp sensor on the au motor is stuffed anyways. Someone musta broke it when they pulled the motor

Pretty much pulling the loom as i type lol

Sort by  
 Page 1 of 1  [ 7 posts ]