AU vs El 

Page 2 of 7 [ 99 posts ] Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 7  Next

Post subject: Re: AU vs El
Posted: Tue Aug 25, 2009 11:29 pm 
Fordmods Newbie

Ride: none

SA, Australia

gogetta wrote:
mind u an AU XR8 would be very nice (with a dart blocked stroker of 400+ c.i.) gotta love the old school V8...better than that BOSS crap.....haha could be slightly out of your budget but :(

i wish :mrgreen: worth too much and couldnt afford the petrol though lol

ashcook wrote:
Power is a good thing to have but any old run of the mill EF/EL will be more than enough for your first car. In my opinion the AU is a nicer drive. But the BA is leaps and bounds ahead. And the BA motor s**t all over the EF/EL/AU. If you can't quite afford a BA in your local area, look around the Sydney/Newcastle area and either fly over and pick it up. Or get it shipped for the 700-800 bucks. They are getting to the point of a dime a dozen, plenty to choose from!

yeah my dads gotta BA mrk2 xr6 and i cant help but smile everytime i drive it :)
sounds like a good idea going over there for a ba, what are they worth down there?

GeZza200 wrote:
Id go with what ever you like best, EL or AU2 or AU3. I wouldn't touch a AU1, they are pretty crappy imo. You can make both models look nice, If a nice AU popped up for the right price i would snap it up. The body is more rigged and you have lots more options with wheels and im pretty sure they handle better than EL's. If you can fetch a EL XR6 for the right price i would grab that, over the AU.

well what i am looking at right now is an AU1 fairmont and a NL ghia with the tickford motor, both with around 230,000 k's

heres the ads
http://www.tradingpost.com.au/Automotiv ... esult=true

http://www.tradingpost.com.au/Automotiv ... esult=true

Posted: Tue Aug 25, 2009 11:42 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 18 images

Ride: Envi EF

NSW, Australia

Mechanical advantages? Yeh.. same box, basically the same motor... really just go for whatever you like, neither model is anything special.
Dont get a Lane either, theyre useless.

>>>EF Futura T build<<<

Posted: Tue Aug 25, 2009 11:53 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 21 images

Ride: 98 EL Futura

Power: 199 rwkw

VIC, Australia

what about an EL Fairmont Ghia

http://www.carsales.com.au/all-cars/pri ... &silo=1011

EL Futura: CVE head, Wolf V500, ICE Ignition and Coil, 36lb injectors, Walbro 255lb, Paci comps, 3" exhaust, T5, Harrop Truetrac with 3.9s. Now with 198.9rwkw, (~185rwkw and 13.80 @99.1mph) with more power to come

Posted: Tue Aug 25, 2009 11:56 pm 
Getting Side Ways

VIC, Australia

there we go, 1998 EL Fairmont Ghia, V8, 198,000ks, $6000 in SA aswell

http://www.carsales.com.au/all-cars/pri ... &silo=1011

EL Futura: CVE head, Wolf V500, ICE Ignition and Coil, 36lb injectors, Walbro 255lb, Paci comps, 3" exhaust, T5, Harrop Truetrac with 3.9s. Now with 198.9rwkw, (~185rwkw and 13.80 @99.1mph) with more power to come

Posted: Wed Aug 26, 2009 12:07 am 
Fordmods Newbie

SA, Australia

have been keeping my eye on that 1

only thing bothering me is im definately gonna get it on LPG when i get the cash, so how do the v8's run on gas compared with the 6's

Posted: Wed Aug 26, 2009 12:12 am 
Getting Side Ways

VIC, Australia

from what iv heard the 5.0v8 and 4.0I6 arnt all that much different in fuel economy. It really depends how you drive as well. I found this xr6 too http://www.carsales.com.au/all-cars/pri ... 353BD7977C

They are quite nice inside aswell.

Posted: Wed Aug 26, 2009 12:17 am 
Fordmods Newbie

SA, Australia

that 1 looks great 2, both with fairly low K's

but if the8 is similar on fuel to the 6, that ghia looks the go :mrgreen:

thanks alot for your help champ! il have a talk 2 dad and go have a look at em and get back to you on how it all goes :D

Posted: Wed Aug 26, 2009 12:21 am 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 18 images

Ride: Envi EF

NSW, Australia

If your gunna put it on gas, go the V8 Ghia. It will be an awesome cruising car, and with a decent exhaust + extractors, it will sound fukin horn doing so.
You cant lose.

>>>EF Futura T build<<<

Posted: Wed Aug 26, 2009 12:22 am 
Getting Side Ways

VIC, Australia

no problems, good luck with the car hunt, make sure they are both mechanically fine though, I no with the 6's they can have headgasket problems and the autos arnt that great if they havn't been serviced regulary or have been thrashed, but you will see that for yourself.

Cheers

Posted: Wed Aug 26, 2009 12:27 am 
Fordmods Newbie

SA, Australia

just rang em both up and the ghias been sold.. pretty devostated lol

the xr6 is still for sale and the bloke is due to leave overseas in a few weeks so i might be able to knock him around on the price. he rekons hes changed the solenoids in the tranny and done the head gasket 50,000 k's ago which means he done it at around 120,000 clicks

does that sound a bit early to you?

Posted: Wed Aug 26, 2009 12:33 am 
Getting Side Ways

VIC, Australia

oh nice, what time is it there in SA lol. Yeah 120k sounds a bit early but yeah they can go really anytime after 100k's. I would go take the car for a test drive with ya dad. offer him like $4500 see what he says.

Posted: Wed Aug 26, 2009 9:27 am 
Stock as a Rock

Ride: 96 EF Ghia wagon

Power: 122 rwkw

SA, Australia

matt001, there are plenty of E-series I6's on LPG for sale in Adelaide that are well within your price range. You won't notice much difference in power between the I6 & V8 even on gas. And having seen some P-platers driving their 6's there's more than enough power to get you into trouble with the law & roadside furniture. As a learner can you even drive a V8 these days?

Stock as a Rock engine option 'Z'
302 V8 auto on LPG @ 210,00km
- 121.7 rwkW / 163.3 rwHP

Posted: Wed Aug 26, 2009 1:40 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 4 images

Ride: MCMXCV Falcon

VIC, Australia

ashcook wrote:

Like I said, 5-7 grand would get you into a tidy BA. 10 would get you into something very nice. I have seen 05 BA XR6 turbo manuals with under 100k go for 12, so that gives you an idea of value for money. I have a mate who bought a BA Fairmont two years ago for $5500. Had 160k on it so a little more than average but the car is faultless. There was just no-one else at the auction who wanted it to bid against him.

If your keen to suss the market out. Log onto

http://www.pickles.com.au/

and become an observer to the different auctions that there are cars you are interested in. Follow them for a while and get a grasp of the what different models are going for. Even colour plays a huge factor on a cars value. I'm currently looking at buying a Territory and am watching the colours that no-one wants like orange and light blue go for around 14, whereas black and silver are going for around 20.

ash, I dont know why but down here in melb there is no way you could ever get prices that low...also are you including fees and charges in those figures cause they do add up, upto 10% extra in some cases..

with the pickles thing do u have to put a deposit down before u can log on cause i think I read it was $1000 or something, and u cant use that as part of payment if u do end up purchasing plus it can take upto a month to get your deposit back....

Posted: Wed Aug 26, 2009 2:35 pm 
Getting Side Ways

VIC, Australia

there is a risk tho that some of the cars are mechanically not so good...Imagine if u bought a newish falcon and its 6sp auto was rooted or it had been in the sea and its sills were rusted...youd never know until its too late....this is where dealers get rid of their dungers

I always bid expecting something major to be wrong with the car and so leave some cash.....eg my AU ute at the auction I bought had the following wrong...

1. no key!! WTF!! smartsheild too...
2. blown head gasket
3. brakes rooted
4. fuel pump screwed
5. lpg convertor rooted

posiitives is the basic body and interior are in very clean condition and K's arnt too bad and it was relatively cheap...still after I fix all these things ive probably spent the same as if i bought privately....

still havent actually driven it properly....this is what u get when u buy at the auctions

win some u loose some

Posted: Wed Aug 26, 2009 2:47 pm 
Getting Side Ways

VIC, Australia

yeah that is the best advice for anyone....set a limit and stick to it and dont get your mind set on one particular car that u might see.....there are a lot of idiots at the auctions so dont get caught in a bidding war with them, its a no win situation

Sort by  
 Page 2 of 7  [ 99 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 7  Next