Posted: Tue Aug 03, 2010 11:55 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 5 images

Ride: EF11 Fairmont Ghia

VIC, Australia

EL___Fairmont wrote:
Geoffy91 wrote:
maca_404 wrote:
I know on paper they are the same but I put an au engine in my EF and EB and I wouldnt go back set up right they are one of the best motors I have had cant kill it with a stick.

Doesn't it also hav roller rockers and other better strengthened and made the engine
Alot more balanced and smoother.

I think you mean THE CRANKSHAFT has more counter weights to improve balance??????

Yeah something like that. My ef got bad vibrations above 4,000rpm my au doesnt

It really is true you can sell anything....just look at holden, selling s**t with a badge on it.

Post subject: Re: AU vs El
Posted: Tue Aug 03, 2010 11:57 pm 
Tyre Shredder

Ride: EL Fairmont

QLD, Australia

Geoffy91 wrote:
EL___Fairmont wrote:
Geoffy91 wrote:
maca_404 wrote:
I know on paper they are the same but I put an au engine in my EF and EB and I wouldnt go back set up right they are one of the best motors I have had cant kill it with a stick.

Doesn't it also hav roller rockers and other better strengthened and made the engine
Alot more balanced and smoother.

I think you mean THE CRANKSHAFT has more counter weights to improve balance??????

Yeah something like that. My ef got bad vibrations above 4,000rpm my au doesnt

No worries, here is something I found on the web, as you can see alot of changes to the Au engine compared to the e-series 4l SOHC.

Intech 6-cylinder new features Refinement and improved fuel economy are the highlights of the Intec engine series.

Intech features a new cylinder head with a lighter mass valve train and new 'high swirl', higher compression ratio (9.65 vs 9.35:1) combustion chambers. These promote fast, complete combustion which helps reduce emissions and fuel consumption, especially during 'lean cruise' above 80kph. Idle speed is reduced to 550rpm from 650. Single, conical valve springs replace the double units on the preceding engine.

The camshaft has low overlap for better combustion and lower emissions.

The previous multi-point electronic fuel injection system is upgraded to offer sequential firing of the fuel charge into each cylinder. New electronic distributorless ignition optimises ignition timing via a latest generation linear knock sensor.

Two major contributors to the quietness and freer revving qualities of Intech are its increased structural stiffness and its new crankshaft.

The stiffness is achieved through extra cylinder block ribbing and a new, rigid cast aluminium sump pan which is cross bolted through the main bearing caps, bolted to the transmission bell housing and is further braced with an internal steel ladder. Mounting of engine accessories directly to the block instead of via brackets also helps rigidity.

The crankshaft is a new, stiffer yet lighter, 8-counterweight design with some technology input from Jaguar. The inherent balance superiority of Falcon's in-line 6-cylinder layout over V6 means that the complication of balance shafts is superfluous.

Engine durability is afforded with new design silicone gaskets sealing the camcover and the sump pan as well as a triple-layered steel head gasket. The steel gasket helps reduce noise and emissions by minimising bore distortion and crevice volume and improving piston ring seating.

Pistons are low clearance and are a lighter, shorter skirt design with a teflon-based coating and low tension rings for reduced friction. Their connecting rods are also new and lighter.

Intech has a 'Smart Start' feature which prevents the starter motor operating and risking damage trying to start the engine if it is already running. This is achieved via appropriate EEC-5 engine management logic.

Intech's unique 'limp home' mode senses coolant loss and cuts out cylinders as required. The firing cylinders are alternated to ensure as even a temperature in the engine as possible during this mode when it virtually runs as an air-cooled unit.

Intech introduces the next generation low viscosity oil to local engines. The 5W30 synthetic oil incorporates new technology to lubricate in hot and cold climate conditions while reducing friction and therefore aiding efficiency.

A new flexible decoupler between the exhaust manifold and a new catalytic converter adds smoothness by enabling a lower engine idle speed by suppressing exhaust idle boom and by damping exhaust-driven vibrations across the rev range.

Lower emission results from a more efficient and durable three way catalytic converter.

Current ride 2007
ML GLX Dualcab Triton 4x4

Posted: Wed Aug 04, 2010 12:16 am 
Getting Side Ways

VIC, Australia

Thanks for that! I've been trying to find something like that for ages! It's good to know. Just makes me wonder how much better my vct engine is

It really is true you can sell anything....just look at holden, selling s**t with a badge on it.

Posted: Wed Aug 04, 2010 12:19 am 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 21 images

Ride: 98 EL Futura

Power: 199 rwkw

VIC, Australia

Geoffy91 wrote:
Thanks for that! I've been trying to find something like that for ages! It's good to know. Just makes me wonder how much better my vct engine is

you get 6kw and little bit of torque, the VCT unit has to be taken off to put a decent cam in there if you want some decent power

EL Futura: CVE head, Wolf V500, ICE Ignition and Coil, 36lb injectors, Walbro 255lb, Paci comps, 3" exhaust, T5, Harrop Truetrac with 3.9s. Now with 198.9rwkw, (~185rwkw and 13.80 @99.1mph) with more power to come

Posted: Wed Aug 04, 2010 12:29 am 
Getting Side Ways

VIC, Australia

GeZza200 wrote:
Geoffy91 wrote:

you get 6kw and little bit of torque, the VCT unit has to be taken off to put a decent cam in there if you want some decent power

Isn't it 11kw more on the ghia...15 more on xr6

Posted: Wed Aug 04, 2010 11:24 am 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 4 images

Ride: ED Fairmont Ghia

QLD, Australia

Good info on there with the AU motor, As mentioned above, I believe the AU motor has more power then its predecessors on paper maybe not but there is definately an improvement in Low-Mid torque, Not much up high but my car is running a stock exhaust which chokes the engine in high revs anyway.

ED Fairmont, Ghia mock DOHC-T 11.6 @ 118 Trying to get back to the 1/4!

Posted: Wed Aug 04, 2010 11:35 am 
Getting Side Ways

VIC, Australia

mmm, maybe thats why I was quicker then my mates EF, EL's when I use to be a d**k head driver an race everyone at the lights

EL Futura: CVE head, Wolf V500, ICE Ignition and Coil, 36lb injectors, Walbro 255lb, Paci comps, 3" exhaust, T5, Harrop Truetrac with 3.9s. Now with 198.9rwkw, (~185rwkw and 13.80 @99.1mph) with more power to come

Posted: Wed Aug 04, 2010 12:23 pm 
Getting Side Ways

QLD, Australia

Yep.

I had a blue eb fairmont. I got an EL motor for it ran EEC V 2.5" exhaust extractors. 2500 Stall and this thing was just nuts. I beat some cars that I shouldn't have then I was curious about the motor it had the Hybrid EL/AU code and it had an unpainted rocker (rocket lol) cover I think that car pulled 0-100 in about 6.5 Seconds which was great for a stock motor. But the top end was just as good. That car would have been very near a 14 second car with a stock motor and automatic.

Posted: Wed Aug 04, 2010 5:34 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 18 images

Ride: Envi EF

NSW, Australia

For a brief period I had an AU XR6 HP motor in my EF (it'll be going back in soon), all I did to it was some mild combustion chamber work, cleaned up the ports, shaved 20 thou off and with a PULP tune it f**k hauled with a stock cam in it. 60ks, clutch pop and it'd just skate up the road in 2nd no worries... wasnt game enough to pop it in third... damn T5s lol.

AU motors definitely are smoother, but I've driven another XR6, a manual ute, and it was slow, as was another pov pack manual ute I gave a flogging. Smooth, but slow.

>>>EF Futura T build<<<

Posted: Wed Aug 04, 2010 6:09 pm 
Getting Side Ways

QLD, Australia

I think it's a case of monday motors, friday motors.

Also I believe how the motor is driven from day one plays a large bearing on how it performs later.

Posted: Thu Aug 05, 2010 11:04 pm 
Tyre Shredder

Ride: FG MK2 XR6T

NSW, Australia

BLACK FALCON wrote:
Iv had my Ps for 5 months now, iv been driving around in my AU series one since then - go an au lots of power - just get the speed limiter taken out..

iv had enough of the speed limiter -180k is not enough

lol your a badass.

Go the AU without a doubt. Drives so much better than the handful of E Series I've driven, in particular the steering feel & IRS. Just try not too look at it from the front too often.

Formerly LV XR5 Turbo, AU Fairmont Ghia V8 & EBII Fairmont I6.

Now......
Feb 2012 FG MK2 XR6 Turbo
- Manual
- Luxury Pack

Posted: Fri Aug 06, 2010 8:39 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: BA Futura

TAS, Australia

edfairmont4.0 wrote:
Good info on there with the AU motor, As mentioned above, I believe the AU motor has more power then its predecessors on paper maybe not but there is definately an improvement in Low-Mid torque, Not much up high but my car is running a stock exhaust which chokes the engine in high revs anyway.

Have you actually proven this?

Ford who have designed, produced and tested the engine know what they're talking about. And they say the power and torque output is the same.

The AU engine was enhanced with the assistance of Jaguar (which was owned by Ford) with the goal of reducing fuel consumption and making the engine a lot smoother. Which they accomplished, a by product of the different and altered components enables the AU engine to rev higher, too.

Having owned and driven:

4.1 250 X-flow (MPEFI)
3.9 (EA)
4.0 (EBII/ED)
4.0 (EF/EL)
4.0 (AU, both petrol and E-gas engines)

All those engines are multi point injected (except the E-gas) and, of course the AU engine (E-gas and petrol) have been by far the smoothest. But a low of the 3.9 and early and late E-series 4.0's have been almost as smooth too, but you also have to take into account wear of various engine internals. The 3.9 which I fully rebuilt was smoother than one or two of the later E series engines.

So I think it would be fair to say that you perceive it to have more power because of the 'placebo' effect. And possible because your old engine was worn, thus reducing its performance? Which I imagine would be the reason most people would upgrade to an AU engine, because they require a replacement.

But regarding the original post, having owned multiple early and late E series (a few LTD's, Futura's and pov-packs) and a couple of AUII's (Forte and Futura), I can definitely say the AU is the more refined drivers car.

The lower end AU's aren't as comfortable as LTD E-series, but they aren't too far off really. And the AUII/III have better:

Fuel economy
Standard features on lower end models
Steering
Brakes
Security
Drivers position
Door 'thud' :P
Updated door lock, mirror and window actuators (easier to get parts in the future)
More safely devices (duel airbags, ABS and seat belt pretensioners standard)
Side impact protection
Etc.

The AU is a much nicer car to drive as a daily, but you cannot beat an old XA-XC or XD-XF and the E-series as an occasional car, they're brilliant :D

Anyways, that's the end of my post :P

Sorry about the massive amount of text :lol:

DCII LTD V8 - leather - low k's
1978 XC '1/2' 500 project 302C
BA Futura wagon
P38 Range Rover HSE

Posted: Fri Aug 06, 2010 10:17 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: Fordrunner 5.0 Turbo

NSW, Australia

Believe it or not but to me the most powerful feeling of those motors you listed above was the XF 4.1 EFI. You could really feel it hit peak torque at 3000rpm. It might not have been the most powerful on paper but the torque curve made it feel like it had balls. The only stock NA engine to rival it is the AU VCT. Definite hit at around 3000rpm.

Posted: Fri Aug 06, 2010 10:21 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 18 images

Ride: Envi EF

NSW, Australia

I'd have to agree with that, we had an XF S pac 5spd with an EFI 4.1, and it definitely had some low end balls.... but as youd expect hated to rev very high at all.

>>>EF Futura T build<<<

Posted: Sat Aug 07, 2010 11:10 am 
Getting Side Ways

VIC, Australia

The AU's would of been good if they didn't have there masive rust problems

Sort by  
 Page 6 of 7  [ 99 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next