Fordmods Logo

AU XR6 - HP VS VCT 

Page 2 of 2 [ 28 posts ] Go to page Previous  1, 2

Posted: Tue Jul 17, 2007 10:02 pm 
Smokin em up

Ride: AU1 XR6 VCT

VIC, Australia

gogetta wrote:
so the only thing u did to improve the motor was a capa flash tuner edit done by G&D...what did that set u back?

Correct. Apart from having the cam alignment checked to ensure it was within factory tolerances (it was, no changes were made at all) the engine is 100% factory stock in all respects.

gogetta wrote:
has your feul economy altered in any way?

Its got a 3500+rpm stall and 4.11 diff gears.. economy is crap lol. About 380kms to a tank city driving I guess.. but I have a heap of fun with it :D

FORD4EVA wrote:
What mods have you done to get 14.57 Casper? I'd rather the VCT with IRS even if it is heavier.

Car and main mods list can be seen here: http://www.aufalcon.com/casper

downingj wrote:
Don't let grunt be your deciding factor between these two.
I've been in a VCT AU XR6 and it was sticky as s**t (grippy).
The bastard of a thing handled brilliantly and stuck to the road like tripple road kill.
It also takes off from the lights faster than a HP, as it squats down, grips and f**k off fast.

With a K&N, replacement headers, hi flow cat and exhaust, you will have yourself a bloody awesome car!

If you still wanted more after that, chip it.

Don't give up that sweet engine and sweet IRS just becuase the thing wont take to a cam as well as the HP.

Have a chat to COREYMUNDAY if your not convinced. :D

On typical Aust roads (not race tracks where its basically useless) the IRS is a very effective setup. I know its my preference. Bump steer doesnt exist.. which is weird as I have owned many falcons and all of them did it, it was just a natrual handling trait. Now its gone its jsut a different experiance. That said though the factory Tickford springs on the IRS were shocking. Kidney belt specials. I put on Kings SSL's and the ride got softer (although wheel travel suffered).. go figure.
Oh, and with the IRS the tailshaft NEVER touches the floor with SSL's. The diff is fixed in place, no issues there.

AU XR6 VCT 14.57 @ 92.92mph.
Auto - NA - Unopened
Proudly tuned and prepared by G&D Performance Tuning - Get the Edge!

Posted: Tue Jul 17, 2007 10:24 pm 
Fordmods Junkie

Gallery: 6 images

Ride: 1994 ED Fairmont

QLD, Australia

Man if you had head work and a cam.... Youd be scratching 13's.....

1994 ED Fairmont Champaign Gold - AU Series II Intech 4.0L - EL EFI - Thermo Fans - 4.11 LSD - Pacemaker 4480 Into Custom 3" Exhaust - Shift Kit
In Progress: EL 4 Speed Auto- 3000 STALL - To be fitted
EF Tickford Race Spec Head Port- In the shop
Custom SureCam - Chiptorque

Posted: Tue Jul 17, 2007 10:36 pm 
Smokin em up

VIC, Australia

ebfairmont3.9 wrote:
Man if you had head work and a cam.... Youd be scratching 13's.....

All in good time. I wont just do headwork and cam though. If and when I touch the engine it will be a serious rebuild from the bottom up. I dont like doing things in halves lol.

For the moment though I need to get some more track time in the car as it is. Its only had 6 runs in its current setup and the last 2 were the only decent ones. Another 6-8 runs and I think it will drop ET's by a decent margin. I'd like to see 14.3's before I touch the engine... or at least know I've got the best out of it as it is now.

Auto - NA - Unopened

Posted: Tue Jul 17, 2007 10:38 pm 
Fordmods Junkie

QLD, Australia

Fair enough!!!! Im doing the top end first on mine. Aiming for 13's im running an au motor with EF ported tickford head. so it'l be a good test to see how the AU motor cops s**t lol it will be revved to 6000 regularly lol it lives at 5700 at the moment and doesnt even turn oil dark for like 3000km and uses no oil at all and i change it at 5000 so it cops it so far :P

1994 ED Fairmont Champaign Gold - AU Series II Intech 4.0L - EL EFI - Thermo Fans - 4.11 LSD - Pacemaker 4480 Into Custom 3" Exhaust - Shift Kit

Posted: Tue Jul 17, 2007 10:42 pm 
Smokin em up

VIC, Australia

ebfairmont3.9 wrote:
Fair enough!!!! Im doing the top end first on mine. Aiming for 13's im running an au motor with EF ported tickford head. so it'l be a good test to see how the AU motor cops s**t lol it will be revved to 6000 regularly lol it lives at 5700 at the moment and doesnt even turn oil dark for like 3000km and uses no oil at all and i change it at 5000 so it cops it so far :P

The bottom end in them is seriously strong straight from the factory. Problem is the long stroke means anything over 6000rpm and the rods and pins are copping some serious stress. That said my cut out is at 6000rpm and I've hit that in 2nd at Heathcote and bounced it 5 times before I got the next gear in. I drive the auto as a manual at the track, certainly seems to help.

Auto - NA - Unopened

Posted: Tue Jul 17, 2007 10:45 pm 
Fordmods Junkie

QLD, Australia

They are bloody tough! i dont think 6000 should be to bad for AU motors... They rev much nicer then the earlier 4L and are so much smoother! has ur Rev limiter been moved up! or is that factory! im running EL fuel injection and that cuts in at 5700. Id like to see the tacho hit the end :P (Digital Dash)

Posted: Tue Jul 17, 2007 10:48 pm 
Smokin em up

VIC, Australia

ebfairmont3.9 wrote:
They are bloody tough! i dont think 6000 should be to bad for AU motors... They rev much nicer then the earlier 4L and are so much smoother! has ur Rev limiter been moved up! or is that factory! im running EL fuel injection and that cuts in at 5700. Id like to see the tacho hit the end :P (Digital Dash)

Its been moved up with the edit tune to allow where the shift points have moved to. Factory cut out is 5750rpm.

I've seen mine go to 6300rpm on the dyno... but with a stock motor and cam that was just pointless.

Auto - NA - Unopened

Posted: Tue Jul 17, 2007 10:50 pm 
Fordmods Junkie

QLD, Australia

How did she sound at 6300 :P yeah id imaging the power would have been dropping off sharply by then! Does it pull hard right up too 6000?

Posted: Tue Jul 17, 2007 10:54 pm 
Smokin em up

VIC, Australia

ebfairmont3.9 wrote:
How did she sound at 6300 :P yeah id imaging the power would have been dropping off sharply by then! Does it pull hard right up too 6000?

Sounded like it wanted to go bang actually. Stock springs dont cope well at those rpms and it started getting a bit mixed up. Power was falling like a stone after that.

Currently we have a strong power range in the engine, something the VCT is good for.
I havent seen the dyno sheets lately but was told (and it feels like) the power is pretty flat from about 4000 through to about 5500 or so. After about 5800 you can fell it taper of a little.

Auto - NA - Unopened

Posted: Tue Jul 17, 2007 10:58 pm 
Fordmods Junkie

QLD, Australia

Yeah! sounds about right. i forgot your motor was stock! Yes u woulda almost been getting valve bounce.

Posted: Wed Jul 18, 2007 1:10 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 3 images

Ride: AUII Ghia 75th LE, KF 1.8S 5spd

VIC, Australia

ya can give me the VCT,wait , s**t ive got one.and rather the drive with the IRS as casper said.that edit will be comin very soon casper.straight after the headers.not gonna do that intake though.seems alot of money for a box.what were the results when you put it in? (gains in RWKW)?

THE Fairmont Ghia : 75th Anniversary LE
Current Mods - 2.5" Exhaust, Custom CAI, Built Gearbox( Mirror Polished Casing+Bellhousing,TCE 2500 custom convertor, Modified Valve Body), Detailed UnderCarriage, SQ Stereo Install = 136+rwkw
http://www.aufalcon.com.au/sikford

Posted: Wed Jul 18, 2007 1:16 pm 
Smokin em up

VIC, Australia

G&D Airbox went in the same time as the new exhaust and edit. I cant tell you what it was worth alone. What I will say is that everyone I know who has one wont give it back. That includes me.
I personally feel it works. That said though it was certainly an expensive setup and not something I think everyone is willing to pay for.

Auto - NA - Unopened

Posted: Wed Jul 18, 2007 1:21 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 3 images

Ride: AUII Ghia 75th LE, KF 1.8S 5spd

VIC, Australia

maybe on my next car.i dont wanna spend too much money on this one as i know i wont get it back when i sell it.

THE Fairmont Ghia : 75th Anniversary LE
Current Mods - 2.5" Exhaust, Custom CAI, Built Gearbox( Mirror Polished Casing+Bellhousing,TCE 2500 custom convertor, Modified Valve Body), Detailed UnderCarriage, SQ Stereo Install = 136+rwkw
http://www.aufalcon.com.au/sikford

Sort by  
 Page 2 of 2  [ 28 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2