Fordmods Logo

AU XR6 vs R33 Skyline 

Page 8 of 13 [ 181 posts ] Go to page Previous  1 ... 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11 ... 13  Next

Posted: Tue Jul 10, 2007 6:23 pm 
Stock as a Rock

Ride: ED XR6

WA, Australia

68stang I think you made an error.. Don't quote me on saying something I didn't say...

The 6000 km Road trip... Rockhampton QLD, Surfers Paradise QLD, Coffs Harbour NSW, Sydney NSW, Canberra ACT, Melbourne VIC, Launceston TAS, Adelaide SA, Kalgoorlie WA, Perth WA.

Posted: Tue Jul 10, 2007 6:49 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 13 images

Ride: BA MKII XR8

VIC, Australia

68stang wrote:
downingj wrote:
Ghost XR wrote:

And people, please stop making excuses for morons on bicycles and idiot pedestrians who walk out in front of cars.
Regardless of the speed your doing, if there's a C**k smoker willing to pull out / walk out / ride out in front of you, there's going to be damage.

i must say that that is the stupidist thing ive ever heard. so i suppose you think that there shouldnt be 40 zones in schools because if a kid walks out on the road your going to hit them anyway? fact is that the faster you are going if you hit someone the less a chance there is that they are going to survive it. There is a reason why there are speed limits. Ive had a couple of close calls myself narrowly missing hitting a kid who ran onto the road after a ball. i was doing 50 in 50 zone. had i had been doing 60 i would have hit him.

think before you make crappy comments like that.

You've missed the point.
40 zones are fantastic where applicable. In fact, I think they should go one step further and have flashing orange lights, as well as designated adults (lollypop ladies, I suppose you call them) assisting on crossing areas when school is in / out. This would help create awarness among drivers in that area.

Don't ever loose sight of the fact that speed is only a small factor when avoiding an accident and certainly isn't the be all end all of safety.

Don't ever loose sight of the fact that their are idiot speed limits, moron pedestrians and pea brain cyclists who seem to go out of their way to be damaged, regardless of what speed you are travelling at.

Posted: Tue Jul 10, 2007 7:31 pm 
Stock as a Rock

Ride: ED XR6

WA, Australia

Damnit my name is still being quoted lol... for things I din't state haha

The 6000 km Road trip... Rockhampton QLD, Surfers Paradise QLD, Coffs Harbour NSW, Sydney NSW, Canberra ACT, Melbourne VIC, Launceston TAS, Adelaide SA, Kalgoorlie WA, Perth WA.

Posted: Tue Jul 10, 2007 8:28 pm 
Stock as a Rock

Gallery: 2 images

Ride: Mustang

NSW, Australia

Ghost XR wrote:
68stang I think you made an error.. Don't quote me on saying something I didn't say...

my bad i screwed up the markup when i quoted it. ill fix it. sorry

Posted: Tue Jul 10, 2007 8:40 pm 
Stock as a Rock

NSW, Australia

downingj wrote:
68stang wrote:
downingj wrote:
Ghost XR wrote:

And people, please stop making excuses for morons on bicycles and idiot pedestrians who walk out in front of cars.
Regardless of the speed your doing, if there's a C**k smoker willing to pull out / walk out / ride out in front of you, there's going to be damage.

i must say that that is the stupidist thing ive ever heard. so i suppose you think that there shouldnt be 40 zones in schools because if a kid walks out on the road your going to hit them anyway? fact is that the faster you are going if you hit someone the less a chance there is that they are going to survive it. There is a reason why there are speed limits. Ive had a couple of close calls myself narrowly missing hitting a kid who ran onto the road after a ball. i was doing 50 in 50 zone. had i had been doing 60 i would have hit him.

You've missed the point.
40 zones are fantastic where applicable. In fact, I think they should go one step further and have flashing orange lights, as well as designated adults (lollypop ladies, I suppose you call them) assisting on crossing areas when school is in / out. This would help create awarness among drivers in that area.

Don't ever loose sight of the fact that speed is only a small factor when avoiding an accident and certainly isn't the be all end all of safety.

Don't ever loose sight of the fact that their are idiot speed limits, moron pedestrians and pea brain cyclists who seem to go out of their way to be damaged, regardless of what speed you are travelling at.

wow things must be pretty laxed there in taz. here in NSW in major built up areas (across most of newcastle and sydney at least) Pretty much all school zones have big a** flashing lights on the 40 zone signs, and the ones that dont have lollipop people (to be politically correct lol)

no i believe you are missing the point. Speed is one of the highest contributing factors to all recorded accidents (both minor and more so in fatalities) and is only a close second to drink driving in accidents caused.

There may be "moron pedestrians" and "pea Brain Cycalists" but the fact of the matter is that as drivers it is our SOLE responsibility to drive in a a manner as to avoid them. Pedestrians ALWAYS have right of way. If you hit one you WILL be charged with neg driving and possibly manslaughter. another fact is that most accidents involving cars and bicycles, or cars and motorcycles, the driver of the car is mostly the one at fault.

You are ignorant or perhaps just plane nieve if you think speed doesnt matter.

Donmt get me wrong, i speed on occasions, and at times do it for plain enjoyment. But i am willing to accept responsibility if i have an accident or kill someone, and not shift the blame from myself. are you?

Posted: Tue Jul 10, 2007 9:30 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 8 images

Ride: BFII Turbo

Power: 253 rwkw

VIC, Australia

Agree fully with that last paragraph there stang.

Im the same. I dont drive with the loud pedal on warp 10 all the time, but if theres a bit of good road with as little chance for mishaps as possible I will admit to giving the car a good run for a distance.

Especailly if to bury a commodore :)

One particular problem is that people dont get taught how to really drive their car. To find the limit, know where that point is, in conjuntion with training on what to do when things really do turn ugly could save a lot of injuries and deaths. It doesnt mean speeding is alright, but the airforce doesnt teach their pilots to fly at or past the accepted "limit" so they can be wrapped in cotton wool. Learning the limit and the control at the limit is much better training than say defensive driving.

enough isn't enough

Posted: Tue Jul 10, 2007 9:54 pm 
Fordmods Junkie

Gallery: 6 images

Ride: 1994 ED Fairmont

QLD, Australia

Agree's again

Its hard to resist burying a commododre isnt it :P Last time i raced a commy lol the guy asked what i had and if i was an 8 or a 6 i said yea i got a 6 and just an exhaust (forgot to mention my 4.11's :) ) and he goes yeah man same v6 are for racing and v8 r for towing trailers lol he was the typical commy boy anorexic with a hat on the wrong way etc lol i was prob 2 cars ahead before i hit 2nd and backed off at 100 about 4 cars or more infront he said nothing more after that lol

any1 flogged a commy with a piss on ford sticker on it :P funny when ya cain em..

1994 ED Fairmont Champaign Gold - AU Series II Intech 4.0L - EL EFI - Thermo Fans - 4.11 LSD - Pacemaker 4480 Into Custom 3" Exhaust - Shift Kit
In Progress: EL 4 Speed Auto- 3000 STALL - To be fitted
EF Tickford Race Spec Head Port- In the shop
Custom SureCam - Chiptorque

Posted: Wed Jul 11, 2007 12:33 am 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: EF Fairmont AU Falcon FG XR6

VIC, Australia

just a bit of thought from me now i picked up my son and my missues today from hopst now driving home i had young blokes in fords n holdens playing round which is all fun and games but they dont see that theres things in cars that need a smooth ride home

i had to jump on the brake coz a d***head p plater got infront of me and was on the brakes for the lights

dont get me wrong i used to be an idot aswell ive come to notice that any type of dangerous driving is not a good idea being below the speed limit dont matter maybe next time u play around and maybe piss someone off they will get out of their and wack you in the nose with a club lock

just think next time u drive... that car at the lights there or the car u just passed had a child in it

would you forgive yourself if you killed anyone or a small child ???

word of warning theres fathers out there like me
if anyone done ANYTHING to put my childs life at risk i will be very upset and after i take a breath i would hunt you down

its bad enuff just the way people on the roads are

the people talking about road racing issues all fall into the age group of d***head drivers and i am in that group
but sure as hell not a d***head on the road

lets face it we are driving fords with a few nice mods and i love it but they aint race cars and if they were you would not need to proove in against a s**t stock as a rock commodore or skyline

my reply to this topic wont change the way people drive but may
show to the smarter people

how other cars around them just dont contain a drivers and passengers

theirs peoples familys or as i see it as myself my missues and 2 kids my life

do you wanna be the prick that takes a family away from someone???

cheers
justin

My Fairmont

Posted: Thu Jul 12, 2007 7:30 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: BA MKII XR8

VIC, Australia

68stang wrote:
downingj wrote:
68stang wrote:
downingj wrote:
Ghost XR wrote:

You've missed the point.

wow things must be pretty laxed there in taz. here in NSW in major built up areas (across most of newcastle and sydney at least) Pretty much all school zones have big a** flashing lights on the 40 zone signs, and the ones that dont have lollipop people (to be politically correct lol)

no i believe you are missing the point. Speed is one of the highest contributing factors to all recorded accidents (both minor and more so in fatalities) and is only a close second to drink driving in accidents caused.

There may be "moron pedestrians" and "pea Brain Cycalists" but the fact of the matter is that as drivers it is our SOLE responsibility to drive in a a manner as to avoid them. Pedestrians ALWAYS have right of way. If you hit one you WILL be charged with neg driving and possibly manslaughter. another fact is that most accidents involving cars and bicycles, or cars and motorcycles, the driver of the car is mostly the one at fault.

You are ignorant or perhaps just plane nieve if you think speed doesnt matter.

Donmt get me wrong, i speed on occasions, and at times do it for plain enjoyment. But i am willing to accept responsibility if i have an accident or kill someone, and not shift the blame from myself. are you?

Still not getting it.
Of course speed matters.
Speed is always a contributing factor in fatal accidents as people are travelling at speed and this is how speed as a contributing factor is recorded in crash data.
There have been countless examples of speed being recorded as a contributing factor, despite the fact that the vehicle(s) involved were travelling at or under the speed limit.
Do you know why?
Becuase the assessor has taken data from the crash site and concluded that the vehicle(s) in question were travelling at speeds which they concluded were not suitable for the conditions.
Even if said vehicles were travelling under the limit.

Google it if you doubt me.

So, after that mini novel, define speeding.

If you're travelling at 90 kays in a 100 zone and a drunken idiot wanders out in front of you and you hit him, will YOU take "SOLE" resposibilty for doing so?
Does HE have right of way?
Being a pedestrian, according to your statement, of course he does.
And of course you should be charged with manslaughter / negligent driving, etc.
And if the crash site assessor deems that the speed you were travelling at was "excessive", your crash will be recorded as you travelling at speed.

Fair?
No.
Not really.

Understand my point now?

I see where your coming from and wont defend inappropriate speed, but at the same time I don't believe that chanting the "speed kills" mantra is the be all end all in road safety.
It's misleading and is a brilliant justification for blatant revenue raising.

If speed matters as much as you claim, then why do you admit to speeding for enjoyment?
By doing this (and staying with your logic here, not mine) aren't you being ignorant?
Aren't you endangering the lives of the people around you?
Aren't you performing the act which is the "highest contributing factor to all recorded accidents" ?

Posted: Thu Jul 12, 2007 10:02 pm 
Getting Side Ways

VIC, Australia

I too get a bit grumpy when people blame everything on speed and make it the be all and sole cause of any road injuries. Its quite obvious its not always the case, was that old dude who ploughed through that kindergarten a year or so ago speeding? not a chance- he was going under the limit!

Does anyone here watch TOP GEAR? (prolly a stupid question...) I remember Clarkson getting all p!ssy about the same thing in the UK. Apparently (now these are from memory and not to be quoted) 32 % of accidents in the UK were Caused by speeding. another 24% were caused by drink driving. That means that 44% of accidents in the UK happened at the speed limit, with drivers in control of their faculties, in conditions that were not beyond the capabilities of the car. The only contributing factors possible were they were stupid or unlucky.

Speed doesnt kill. Hitting an object at speed kills. And I mean any speed- you can kill someone or die yourself at 60 kmh.

I do not want to be the one to harm anybody- at all - period. But I will not be told by finger waving do-gooders that Im trying to kill their children. I can understand and fully sympathise with their concern over the safety of their family, and its their right and responsability, but its not their right to come down on everyone they see or hear of doing 10Kmh over. Thats the job of the police. Road racing isnt good. I know that but I have done it. Why? Not to kill your children. In fact when it has occured its been when I consider the danger to be only to myself and the driver of other vehicle. I dont really worry to much about killing myself- after all it is my life, its others that I worriy about about first. Then indulge myself a little. While I may not worry too much if I died doing it doesnt mean I want to die either. No point making yourself a nice car, then going splat.

enough isn't enough

Posted: Thu Jul 12, 2007 10:49 pm 
Stock as a Rock

NSW, Australia

Quote:
Still not getting it.
Of course speed matters.
Speed is always a contributing factor in fatal accidents as people are travelling at speed and this is how speed as a contributing factor is recorded in crash data.
There have been countless examples of speed being recorded as a contributing factor, despite the fact that the vehicle(s) involved were travelling at or under the speed limit.
Do you know why?
Becuase the assessor has taken data from the crash site and concluded that the vehicle(s) in question were travelling at speeds which they concluded were not suitable for the conditions.
Even if said vehicles were travelling under the limit.

Google it if you doubt me.

So, after that mini novel, define speeding.

If you're travelling at 90 kays in a 100 zone and a drunken idiot wanders out in front of you and you hit him, will YOU take "SOLE" resposibilty for doing so?
Does HE have right of way?
Being a pedestrian, according to your statement, of course he does.
And of course you should be charged with manslaughter / negligent driving, etc.
And if the crash site assessor deems that the speed you were travelling at was "excessive", your crash will be recorded as you travelling at speed.

Fair?
No.
Not really.

Understand my point now?

I see where your coming from and wont defend inappropriate speed, but at the same time I don't believe that chanting the "speed kills" mantra is the be all end all in road safety.
It's misleading and is a brilliant justification for blatant revenue raising.

If speed matters as much as you claim, then why do you admit to speeding for enjoyment?
By doing this (and staying with your logic here, not mine) aren't you being ignorant?
Aren't you endangering the lives of the people around you?
Aren't you performing the act which is the "highest contributing factor to all recorded accidents" ?

No, Regardless of the fact that the pedestrian may be intoxicated when you hit him, and you were travelling under the posted speed limit in my opinion that still doesnt take all blame away from the driver. In most cases there will be other contributing factors. For example if you are driving through a main street pub/night club area, simply driving at or even under the posted speed limit is not considered enough of a precaution.

Although depending on the circumstances you may not face criminal charges, if it were me i would still feel responsible. Not sure about you but i couldnt run someone over and just say it was his own fault, he was drunk.

Also do not get my opinions on speeding and the governments implementation of easures to stop speeding confused. I am well aware that speed cameras and such are simply revenue raising tools and very little more.

Yes, i do admit to speeding for the enjoyment of it. the difference is i do it in unpopulated areas where i deem it to be relatively safe (ot to say it is). I am also willing to take responsibility for my actions. Just bcausethe person i run over is drunk, does not mean it isnt my fault.

Quote:

Fair?
No.

Excessiv speed is not determined by wether or not you were going faster than the posted speed or not. Excesive speed is determined by the speed at which the car was travelling at in relation to the road conditions (and other factors). for example if it was foggy, if the road was icy, if its raining etc etc. if you are in a 100 zone and are travelling at 50km's per hour on an icy road and spin out causing an accident, the cause of the accident is speeding and YOUR fault.

posted speed LIMITS are just that. They are the maximum speed in which we are allowed to travel at/ It is our responsibility as drivers to determine at what speed with in that limit range we should be traveling at to avoid an accident.

Posted: Thu Jul 12, 2007 11:13 pm 
Stock as a Rock

NSW, Australia

More Grunt wrote:
I too get a bit grumpy when people blame everything on speed and make it the be all and sole cause of any road injuries. Its quite obvious its not always the case, was that old dude who ploughed through that kindergarten a year or so ago speeding? not a chance- he was going under the limit!

Does anyone here watch TOP GEAR? (prolly a stupid question...) I remember Clarkson getting all p!ssy about the same thing in the UK. Apparently (now these are from memory and not to be quoted) 32 % of accidents in the UK were Caused by speeding. another 24% were caused by drink driving. That means that 44% of accidents in the UK happened at the speed limit, with drivers in control of their faculties, in conditions that were not beyond the capabilities of the car. The only contributing factors possible were they were stupid or unlucky.

Speed doesnt kill. Hitting an object at speed kills. And I mean any speed- you can kill someone or die yourself at 60 kmh.

I do not want to be the one to harm anybody- at all - period. But I will not be told by finger waving do-gooders that Im trying to kill their children. I can understand and fully sympathise with their concern over the safety of their family, and its their right and responsability, but its not their right to come down on everyone they see or hear of doing 10Kmh over. Thats the job of the police. Road racing isnt good. I know that but I have done it. Why? Not to kill your children. In fact when it has occured its been when I consider the danger to be only to myself and the driver of other vehicle. I dont really worry to much about killing myself- after all it is my life, its others that I worriy about about first. Then indulge myself a little. While I may not worry too much if I died doing it doesnt mean I want to die either. No point making yourself a nice car, then going splat.

The stupidity of your logic astounds me.

under your logic of speeding doesnt kill, hitting something at speed kills, then i supose then it would be true to say drink driving doesnt kill, hitting another car while your drink driving kills. Or perhaps russian roulette doesnt kill, pulling the trigger wih a bullet in the chamber kills.

Ill say it again. You can have excessive speeding as a cause of an accident even if you are driving at or slower than the posted LIMIT.

lets say you road race somone at th trafic lights. the speed limit is 60. niether person is going to go above 60. You both floor it and accelerate as fast as you can. at 50 's an hou a pedestrian steps in front of your car. You hit them. would you say that thats not your fault because you were doing 50 in a 60 zone?

Wether you road race with the intent of killing someone or not is irrespective. You may think that its just your life or the person your racing against life so thats okay because you can make an informed decision because its your life, but that simply isnt the case. you never know if there is a pedestrian around, or another car thats going to cut across an intersection into your path.

I am not a finger waving do gooder. I am just trying to make people aware of the impact that speeding can have on not just your self but others.

Ive already said i speed occasionally. If other people speed that is their decision, just saying that everyone needs to take responsibility for their own actions if they do have an accident is all. From the responses ive gotten so far noone seems to think that speeding is a problem, and the concencus seems to be that well if i have an accident at any speed it can kill so whats it matter if im going faster.

Sad to see.

Posted: Thu Jul 12, 2007 11:37 pm 
Getting Side Ways

VIC, Australia

I think you misunderstand what I was trying to say. Theres a difference between speed and speeding. Speed is the rate at which you travel over distance, and speeding generally and popularly refers to going faster than the posted speed limit. I didnt say speeding doesnt kill. So its not my logic that has you dumfounded, its the way you have understood me. So about 50% of your response is completey rubbish, since you attack something I didnt say.

For clarity Im not justifying speeding by saying you can still die going under 60. Im pointing out the ignorance of a lot of people who shout mantras about speed kills, and blithley and without thought accept what they are fed.

Also- Im not calling you a do- gooder. I never refered to you in such a way. I never replied to anything in particular that you wrote. I was talking in general.

Not to mention this vague and directionless claim that you think no one here thinks speeding is bad. Also dont just make up what people say. I never said I think speeding is ok. Not once have I said that were going to die if we crash so Im going to speed anyway. Not once have I said I dont take responsability if I do. Mate you are seriously deluded if thats what you read into things. I even stated plain as day- road racing isnt good. How you draw your conlcusions makes John Stamos make sense.

Lastly, read a post before responding to it. It seems me you just generally skim it work up a sense of what it might be about and proceed to charge on what little info you have got.

Thats sad to see.

enough isn't enough

Posted: Fri Jul 13, 2007 12:35 am 
Stock as a Rock

NSW, Australia

More Grunt wrote:
I think you misunderstand what I was trying to say. Theres a difference between speed and speeding. Speed is the rate at which you travel over distance, and speeding generally and popularly refers to going faster than the posted speed limit. I didnt say speeding doesnt kill. So its not my logic that has you dumfounded, its the way you have understood me. So about 50% of your response is completey rubbish, since you attack something I didnt say.

For clarity Im not justifying speeding by saying you can still die going under 60. Im pointing out the ignorance of a lot of people who shout mantras about speed kills, and blithley and without thought accept what they are fed.

Also- Im not calling you a do- gooder. I never refered to you in such a way. I never replied to anything in particular that you wrote. I was talking in general.

Not to mention this vague and directionless claim that you think no one here thinks speeding is bad. Also dont just make up what people say. I never said I think speeding is ok. Not once have I said that were going to die if we crash so Im going to speed anyway. Not once have I said I dont take responsability if I do. Mate you are seriously deluded if thats what you read into things. I even stated plain as day- road racing isnt good. How you draw your conlcusions makes John Stamos make sense.

Lastly, read a post before responding to it. It seems me you just generally skim it work up a sense of what it might be about and proceed to charge on what little info you have got.

Thats sad to see.

"speed doesnt kill. Hitting an object at speed kills" well im sorry but i cant see what you mean there then. I cant see it meaning anythong other than it doesnt matter how fast you go, it will o nly kill you if you hit something. Perhaps you should clarify such vague statements before getting angry at the way in which i interpereted a literal meaning from a statement you made.

to think that speeding kills is simply a mantra and not an issue is simply a joke to say the least. Unfortunately the governments revenue raising tactics to try and reduce the road toll caused by speeding doesnt work, and as an affect it gets people to thinking speeding isnt a problem, that it is if you will something created by the government to make money.
Whilst the governments implementation of speed traps and the like are for the most part revenue raising, it does not take away from the underlying issue that excessive speed is a factor in some way in almost all accidents and is one of the leading causes of death on our roads.

The reason why speeding is a leading cause of accidents and that the accident rate is highest for males aged between 18 and 25 is because of people thinking they are invincible. that speeding is just a mantra as you put it.

Quote:

In fact when it has occured its been when I consider the danger to be only to myself and the driver of other vehicle. I dont really worry to much about killing myself- after all it is my life

the danger is never to only your self and the other driver. you never know when something unexpected is ggoing to happen. Im quite sure the astonishing scores of boy racers who have hit and killed someone while street racing didnt expect there to be anyone there. also what happens if you loose control and plough into the car you were racing killing the driver? (or vice versa) is that an acceptable risk?

Also. not all of my comments were directed at you, and i did not just make things up. I was actually refering to downingj as he obviously does not think that speeding is a problem and is not willing to accept respensibility. I should probably reference my comments a little better to avoid confusion.

I never said you were calling me a do dooder. I was speaking in generalities that i am not one of those people in which you were refering to.

I lost my brother about a year ago he was racing on public roads and lost it ploughing into a tree. I guess thats why i feel so strongly against racing and speeding on our roads. Cars are a means to get from A to B. for those of us (including myself) that love the thrill of seing how fast our beasts can go, and beating crappy commonwhores we should keep it to the track. have a BBQ with mates and see what our cars can do. Its alot better than the alternative.

Posted: Fri Jul 13, 2007 12:39 am 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: EF Fairmont AU Falcon FG XR6

VIC, Australia

everyones had their say including myself

why dont u take it to pm im sure people are sick of this internet forum b**ch session get over it you wont get a end result

theres better things on fordmods to talk about

i wanna hear how this xr goes against the rice burner

My Fairmont

Sort by  
 Page 8 of 13  [ 181 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11 ... 13  Next