Fordmods Logo

AU1 VCT into AU2 Ute 

Page 1 of 2 [ 24 posts ] Go to page 1, 2  Next

Post subject: AU1 VCT into AU2 Ute
Posted: Tue May 12, 2009 10:50 am 
Fordmods Newbie

VIC, Australia

Hi Guys, I'm new here and would appreciate any help an advice that you can give. I have an AU2 ute 6cyl non VCT duel fuel with smartshield and I also have a series 1 VCT 6 cyl and ECU (WR2A-12A650_KD) WAKD out of an AU1 Fairmont Ghia (10/99). I beleive from my research here that the S1 VCT ECU should be a smartshield one, hopefully. What I am after is info regarding whether or not this ECU will work when i change it over and also if there are any wiring changes that I need to do. Thanks in advance for your help.

Post subject: Re: AU1 VCT into AU2 Ute
Posted: Tue May 12, 2009 11:23 am 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 10 images

Ride: SF5 Forester

NSW, Australia

Tezza_777 wrote:
Hi Guys, I'm new here and would appreciate any help an advice that you can give. I have an AU2 ute 6cyl non VCT duel fuel with smartshield and I also have a series 1 VCT 6 cyl and ECU (WR2A-12A650_KD) WAKD out of an AU1 Fairmont Ghia (10/99). I beleive from my research here that the S1 VCT ECU should be a smartshield one, hopefully. What I am after is info regarding whether or not this ECU will work when i change it over and also if there are any wiring changes that I need to do. Thanks in advance for your help.

All AUI VCT or NON are Smartlock (same as EBII to EL) if you got a VCT AUII ECU, BEM and maybe loom, Iam thinking it should be a straight swap over i assume

R.I.P Tobias my son.

Posted: Tue May 12, 2009 12:31 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: NF Fairlane

QLD, Australia

I know the intake manifolds are different between series 1 and the series 2&3 also

If you wanted to do this i have a series 3 intake manifold that i will swap for your series 1 item.
You will need this manifold to run the correct sensors needed in series 2 AU

Besides this i can't help you out on anything else as i'm just in middle of researching everything myself

Good luck

Ohh and welcome to site :D

If you don't do it whilst your livin, you aint got no bloody chance when your dead!!!

Posted: Tue May 12, 2009 2:23 pm 
Getting Side Ways

QLD, Australia

ashcook wrote:
This may be where my problem lies. I am still running the AUI manifold. What are the extra sensors?

Are they also different between VCT and non-VCT?

Have read through this thread
http://www.fordmods.com/ford-4l-and-6-cylinder-f1/au-vct-into-ebii-t77684.html

Some helpful info in there

If you don't do it whilst your livin, you aint got no bloody chance when your dead!!!

Posted: Tue May 12, 2009 3:29 pm 
Fordmods Newbie

VIC, Australia

Thanks for the welcome and all the info so far.
My ute is a S2, can I just use my existing inlet manifold on the VCT (possibly with phenolic spacers) ?
Are the non VCT and VCT inlet manifolds the same? If not then I would like to take Tickxr up on your offer , but you are in QLD and I’m in VIC.
Would an aftermarket ECU solve my ECU problem or do these jiggers go on as an addition to the original ECU, like a piggy back setup? I run mostly LPG and rarely petrol, would an aftermarket ECU allow me to run a tune for each fuel?
Thanks again.

Posted: Tue May 12, 2009 5:17 pm 
Getting Side Ways

QLD, Australia

easiest option for your install would be to bolt your accessories onto the VCT motor and utilize the ECU you are currently running and then buy a RPM activation module to switch the VCT.
This is what a lot of people do when bolting these motors into older cars as the electricals can become a nightmare.

Saying this though since you have an AU2 you MAY be able to get an AU2 VCT computer and loom and plug straight in but you would need to consult someone more knowledgable than me in this field to confirm this. I'm sure someone will chime in on this tonight for you though when they get home from work.

I can't say for sure if the AU2 VCT inlet is same as standard AU2 inlet. If Troy (TROYMAN) doesn't reply here tonight send him a PM as he's pretty clued in when it comes to things like this.

Hope this helps

Posted: Tue May 12, 2009 7:56 pm 
Fordmods Newbie

VIC, Australia

Thanks TickXr, I forgot to mention that the AU1VCT engine does ahve an engine loom with it.
Any clues at to what wiring mods I need to do to get everything up and running if I use the VCT loom (re: aditional wiring to make the VCT operate from the ECU) and also if I use my existing AU2 engine loom what do I need to change?
I am still leaning towards an aftrmarket ECU adn looking for further info regarding that.
Thanks again.

Posted: Tue May 12, 2009 8:07 pm 
Fordmods Newbie

VIC, Australia

Thanks Ash,
Is an aftermarket ECU that would allow me to do duel yunes eg. LPG ULP worth looking at? And would this replace the original ECU and than let me just run the aftermarket ECU?
Also can I jus run a single wire to the plug to operate the VCT and then use my s@ engine loom or is there a better idea?
Tezza.

Posted: Tue May 12, 2009 8:54 pm 
Fordmods Newbie

VIC, Australia

Can I ask why you are sticking with the original ECU?
My undersatnding is that the aftermarket ECU's replace the originals and allow you to run multipl tunes, or am I wrong?

Posted: Tue May 12, 2009 9:26 pm 
Fordmods Newbie

VIC, Australia

I ust had a look at your XF build thread. Very nice work mate. I have 4 XF's and 3 EA's in the driveway as well as a 85 351 ambulance, not including my ute and the missus' NF 5L Fairlane.
I run an XF with a clevo as my speedway car (full contact).
If you need any spares then give me a yell mate.

Posted: Tue May 12, 2009 10:16 pm 
Fordmods Newbie

VIC, Australia

The XF's just seem to accumulate around here. None are driveable at the moment but I will check for drivers doors for you on thursday. The old XF is a cheap and reasonably easy jigger to play with. Your work looks prety flash and experimental. What are you studying at Uni?

Posted: Thu May 14, 2009 9:03 am 
Fordmods Newbie

VIC, Australia

Does anyone have an AU2 VCT Tikford ECU?

Posted: Thu May 14, 2009 8:46 pm 
Fordmods Newbie

VIC, Australia

The AU1 VCT Tikford ECU is an early smartshield version, apparently they changed in july 99 (info from ford).

The AU1 VCT Tikford ECU wont start the AU2ute when fitted (tried that)

I am told that if I fit an AU2 VCT ECU into my AU2 ute that I can expect problems regarding resistance diferenes in the dash (gauges) etc. The only AU2 VCT Tickford motors that came out were fitted to XRs.

Does anyone want to buy an AU1 VCT Tikford motor with ECU?

Posted: Fri May 22, 2009 11:02 am 
Fordmods Newbie

VIC, Australia

Ashcook: I checked the doors on the XFs but none are in mint condition, the best has rust along the bottom. Also I would expect that it would cost more to freight the door to where you are than to buy a good one there.

This little project has now been abandoned due to it becoming to dollar and time expensive.

I now have an AU2 motor that I am about to rebuild to suit my needs. E.g. LPG, the need for much torque due to carying heavy loads (over 1 tonne) and running for 12 + hours a day as well as running around doing in town deliveries and lots of highway running. That should be easier, I hope.

Sort by  
 Page 1 of 2  [ 24 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next