Fordmods Logo

AU2 EGas- From backfiring, to misfiring 

Page 1 of 1 [ 7 posts ] 

Post subject: AU2 EGas- From backfiring, to misfiring
Posted: Fri Aug 09, 2013 12:46 am 
Stock as a Rock

Ride: EF GLi 5 speed

NSW, Australia

Ok. I bought a cheap AU2 on gas with 140 xxx kms, thinking safe bet, good trouble free investment.
Little did I know, the last owner has neglected the sh** out of it. Front springs have been cut within an inch of their life, rear tyres are retrograte 205/R15!, original motorcraft leads, neglect.
I did about 8,000 kms before a backfiring problem develops, below 2000 rpm. This goes on for at least a month, with some cringe-inducing backfires, which I suspect blew a hole in the flexible rubber inlet pipe.
Against my better judgement, I pressed on until it cut out one day, and wouldn't start.

Got it towed home, fitted 6 new plugs ( NGK non-iridium), new leads. Does not fire on 3 cylinders. Reluctantly cranks over sometimes. Buy a new coil pack, same issue.
Thought it might be leads, as when I tested spark, it was intermittent on 3 of the cylinders. Replaced the leads, won't even kick now. (Top Gun leads).
What do I do now?, I can't afford to get it towed to a mechanic, and I am going to see if theres a repair manual I can borrow at the library, or pdf.
Could it be a sensor issue or am I way out of my depth?

NB Yes I have scoured the stickys and searched for this diligently, to no avail. Thanks for any help.

Post subject: Re: AU2 EGas- From backfiring, to misfiring
Posted: Fri Aug 09, 2013 4:43 pm 
Tyre Shredder

Gallery: 58 images

Ride: 2009 ve ss manual L98

SA, Australia

So you have no spark now at all? My au was on gas and was nothing buttrouble haha backfired all the time, blew my airbox to bits then blew the rubber intake ducting apart twice (after fixing with brand new ford part) sounds like the coil pack is rooted? Does it crank over or just dead altogether?

Posted: Fri Aug 09, 2013 4:48 pm 
Tyre Shredder

SA, Australia

Maybe something dripping or spraying onto the coil pack like coolant or oil shorting out the pack I heard of a similar problem just recently same symptoms and the coil pack was slimy from coolant or oil causing the coil to arc out and only running 3 cylinders

Posted: Fri Aug 09, 2013 5:06 pm 
Tyre Shredder

SA, Australia

So you have no spark now at all? My au was on gas and was nothing buttrouble haha backfired all the time, blew my airbox to bits then blew the rubber intake ducting apart twice (after fixing with brand new ford part) sounds like the coil pack is rooted? Does it crank over or just dead altogether?

Posted: Fri Aug 09, 2013 6:31 pm 
Stock as a Rock

NSW, Australia

Replaced coil pack. Some leads were getting spark, same symptoms after i replaced it.
How do I test the leads and pack if its shorting out? I just bought some Electronics cleaner spray for the Crank angle sensor and loom around the coil, is this advisable?

Posted: Fri Aug 09, 2013 7:39 pm 
Tyre Shredder

SA, Australia

First of all..... Is there any oil or coolant inside the spark plug well (where the plugs screws into the head) ?

Ok so to test your leads pull out a good plug or use a good/New spark plug and disconnect your leads one at a time connecting the plug each time and grab a mate or the missus haha to crank the car for bout 3 seconds or so . You'll be able to see the plug fire or not. It should fire repeatedly !
Another way is to stick a screwdriver in the lead and rest it on the rocker cover (to spark) be sure the screwdriver is nt bigger than the clip you don't wanna damage your lead or stretch the clip end a medium size driver should suffice.
Now crank the motor be sure to hold the lead back far enough from the plug as not to zap yourself haha , have done this many times after a couple beers not thinking
As for the electrical spray, I can't give an opinion on that subject because I've never used it myself I'm guessing its a water deterrent of some sor

When you test your leads and sort the good from the bad connect a good one ( 1at a time) to each of the coil pack plugs. It's going to be a pain in the a*** job but should identify which is causing trouble. When you do this check coils for residue and moisture let us know how you go

Lastly.... Make sure when connecting spark leads that you hear or feel the clip SNAP ON. I've put new leads on before n havnt snapped em on properly thought wtf???? Check leads again found loose connection haha silly me

Posted: Wed Sep 04, 2013 2:16 pm 
Stock as a Rock

NSW, Australia

Checked the plugs; the front 3 ones look like new. Scoured engine bay, found a small plug under coil pack that feels loose or worn. Is there anywhere with a wiring diagram for this model without having to pay for it? I am dirt broke and can't even afford a repair guide atm.

Sort by  
 Page 1 of 1  [ 7 posts ]