Fordmods Logo

AUII 6cyl Ghia rear wheel noise over bumps 

Page 1 of 1 [ 3 posts ] 

Post subject: AUII 6cyl Ghia rear wheel noise over bumps
Posted: Mon Sep 19, 2011 11:05 pm 
Stock as a Rock

Ride: 75th AUII Ghia

NSW, Australia

Everytime I go over low bumps like at edge of driveway I hear this rattling noise like sound of something hanging loose inside wheel or something, high pitch noise. Happens with low bumps where the impact is quick and more solid. This started after the rear wheel rotors and pads were replaced by the mechanic. Also after these were replaced hand brake never stops the car - we were told it is automatic tensioner or something but has now been 2 months and handbrake is the same - pull it all the way, car still rolling, you can drive it off with it - its that bad. So anyone came across this - appreciated. Car is 6cyl VCT AUII Ghia (75th Anniversary model). Im in Mt Druitt West Sydney - Email ad.inquiries@gmail.com

Post subject: Re: AUII 6cyl Ghia rear wheel noise over bumps
Posted: Tue Sep 20, 2011 8:22 am 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 4 images

Ride: EF XR6 Wagon, AU2 XR6 VCT

Power: 148 rwkw

New Zealand

If the handbrake isn't holding even when all the way up, it's likely there is a lot of slack in the cable. So, the cable or connectors will probably be swinging loose. There is a nut on the handbrake end of the cable that allows you take up some slack, but probably not enough to get it working as it should.

I haven't had to adjust the parking brakes on my AU, but it must be similar to the EF. That is adjusted by releasing the handbrake, taking the rotors off, and turning the star wheel (expanding the brake shoes) until the rotor is just able to slide back on - no slack, but no drag either. To be safe (it is brakes we are talking about), I would start by spending $50-$70 on a Haines or Gregory's manual for the car; it will give step-by-step instructions to do it right.

Hope this helps.

95 EF XR6 wagon, 17" FTRs, DBA rotors, KYB/Koni, AU bottom end, ported EF head, backcut valves, SS Inductions, Territory intake, 10.2 CR, Auckland 1258 cam, vernier gear, PH4480 headers, no cat, Tickford 2.5", 2800rpm stall, J3 chip

Post subject: Re: AUII 6cyl Ghia rear wheel noise over bumps
Posted: Tue Sep 20, 2011 10:19 am 
Stock as a Rock

Ride: 75th AUII Ghia

NSW, Australia

Thanks for this - looks like we are on the right path, it sounds like a disconnected cable or calibre and stuff - I have the mechanic's receipt so Im taking it back so he can fix it, I adjusted the cable end inside the car - no difference - now been 2 months so back to this guy to sort it out. Thanks again

Sort by  
 Page 1 of 1  [ 3 posts ]