AUII XR6 VCT ENGINE REBUILD 

Page 1 of 2 [ 18 posts ] Go to page 1, 2  Next

Post subject: AUII XR6 VCT ENGINE REBUILD
Posted: Fri Feb 19, 2010 2:44 pm 
Fordmods Newbie

Ride: AUII XR6 UTE , AUIII XR8 SEDAN

QLD, Australia

Hello

I am currently looking at rebuilding my AUII XR6 VCT engine. I'm looking at keeping my top end relatively stock by keeping my cam and current valvae train how ever I'm looking at putting in oversized exhaust valves in. Other then that I'm looking at rebuilding my bottom end and putting in, high flow oil pump, high volume sump, larger pistons, performance rods and probably just getting my crank machined. Basiclly I'm just looking for recomendations of good performance product mainly to do with the bottom end compoents. Plus any tips would be great.

Thanks Brayden

Post subject: Re: AUII XR6 VCT ENGINE REBUILD
Posted: Fri Feb 19, 2010 9:14 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: f6 rspec

NSW, Australia

how many km's has it done?

honestly that will end up costing close to 5g if done right, 5g will get u a turbo kit

Posted: Sat Feb 20, 2010 6:48 am 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 1 images

Ride: FG MkII Xr6t Ute

QLD, Australia

FORDom wrote:

honestly that will end up costing close to 5g if done right, 5g will get u a turbo kit

Spending the $5000 on a turbo set up and putting it on a half gone bottom end and driveline is definately the best idea :roll:

On topic...don't go ACL.

EVL098 wrote:
Cramping in the hand from having it on your Wang for an excessive period of time is a definate con.
Seriously do people google "f**k up modifications for Fords owned by Jews" and get linked straight to this site nowadays?

AU,factory fitted tickford kit/IRS, t5,Sports ryder/KYB: gone.

Posted: Sat Feb 20, 2010 10:11 am 
Getting Side Ways

AU heads already have 41mm exhaust valves.

A high volume oil pump is only going to cost you power, the stock pumps are more then enough. A HV pump will pick up more oil but bypass all the 'extra' oil straight back into sump.
What are the future plans for the engine? As 'better rods' is going to cost you alot of money for no gain unless you are looking at 300kw+ out of the engine with boost. or unless you are planing on reving the engine past 6500rpm all the time.

if you never plan on making huge power rebuild it with stock parts and some over sized cast pistons IF the bores are worn enough to need them. Other wise put the old pistons back in.

If you want big power you need to tell us if you plan on fitting a turbo or if you want to make NA power, as that determines what parts you need to buy.

Posted: Sat Feb 20, 2010 3:26 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: f6 rspec

NSW, Australia

skidder wrote:
FORDom wrote:

Spending the $5000 on a turbo set up and putting it on a half gone bottom end and driveline is definately the best idea :roll:

On topic...don't go ACL.

who said his driveline is half gone? running a low boost turbo setup will be fine on the au motor..

and what is wrong with ACL..?

Posted: Sat Feb 20, 2010 4:09 pm 
Getting Side Ways

FORDom wrote:
skidder wrote:
FORDom wrote:

On topic...don't go ACL.

who said his driveline is half gone? running a low boost turbo setup will be fine on the au motor..

they don't exist anymore, all you can buy surplus stock.

Posted: Sun Feb 21, 2010 3:16 pm 
Fordmods Newbie

QLD, Australia

I'm just looking at keeping it NA. I am interested in big power gains, I know that I wont be huge gains since im keeping it NA but really i am just after a fun quick torquey NA engine. If that helps in product recomendation. :)

Thanks

Posted: Tue Feb 23, 2010 9:25 am 
Getting Side Ways

QLD, Australia

FORDom wrote:
skidder wrote:
FORDom wrote:

On topic...don't go ACL.

If he is planning on rebuilding the engine i'm guessing it has 150xxxkm on it minimum. Even running a low boost set up an auto with those kays will be hating life, not to mention a t5. Also a $5000 turbo set up isn't going to get you a rebuilt engine - I personally don't think running a turbo set up on an old bottom end is feasible, but then again I only like to do things properly. Who wants to spend money on an engine that they can't even push hard?

EVL098 wrote:
Cramping in the hand from having it on your Wang for an excessive period of time is a definate con.
Seriously do people google "f**k up modifications for Fords owned by Jews" and get linked straight to this site nowadays?

Posted: Tue Feb 23, 2010 5:39 pm 
Fordmods Newbie

QLD, Australia

Its got 134 000kms on it ... Im not really interested in turbos ... Im looking at rebuilding it so that i get another life out of the engine ... but i was just looking for info so wen i do rebuild it i might put some performance prouducts in it to make it go harder.

Posted: Wed Feb 24, 2010 5:55 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 7 images

Ride: AU XR6

Power: 171 rwkw

NSW, Australia

brayden_smith wrote:
Its got 134 000kms on it ... Im not really interested in turbos ... Im looking at rebuilding it so that i get another life out of the engine ... but i was just looking for info so wen i do rebuild it i might put some performance prouducts in it to make it go harder.

Honestly? 134000km? if your contemplating a rebuild after only that many km there must be something wrong with it. If your leaving it NA theres no need to touch the bottom end, especialy if your not really doing anything to the top, just get 40 thou taken off the head and put it back on. Looked after properly these motors should make power well into 2000000+km region, mine made 157rwkw at 260000km.

Save the cash your thinking about spending on the rebuild, get yourself a flash tuner, 2.5" or if youre really keen a 3" exhaust, a set of JMM race series extractors the best on the market in my opinion(and before anybody says "aww but you can get pacey comps for cheaper" I dont care) 3"intake pipe and whatever filter you feel like running(most use k+n panel or pod filter)

At the end of the day these could be just pipe dreams from you, lord knows we hear from a lot of young blokes your age who want to make massive power from their pov pack auto. BUT if you really do want to do it, do you research as best you can before you spend $1, pay attention to who you think sounds like they know what their talking about, tickford 6 for instance a little opinionated at times but he knows his s**t!

9/98 AU1 XR6hp-about to retire from the road and be reborn on the race track.
86 ZL mint grandpa spec with premo sound and 150000km
07 TTG 60000km stock as, mods to come.
97 el futura about to be MOCKed

Posted: Thu Feb 25, 2010 5:49 pm 
Fordmods Newbie

QLD, Australia

OK yer thanks thats good advice.. I'ver herd from ppl that 3" exhaust in the au na 6s are a little too big? is there any difference in power or torque range with a 3" on compared to the 2.5", especially in bottom end power ?

Posted: Thu Feb 25, 2010 6:35 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 7 images

Ride: AU XR6

Power: 171 rwkw

NSW, Australia

from my own research the majority of low 14 high 13 sec 1/4 mile i6 powered cars all run 3" pipes

9/98 AU1 XR6hp-about to retire from the road and be reborn on the race track.
86 ZL mint grandpa spec with premo sound and 150000km
07 TTG 60000km stock as, mods to come.
97 el futura about to be MOCKed

Posted: Thu Feb 23, 2012 5:39 pm 
Fordmods Newbie

Ride: au fairmont ghia

SA, Australia

Hi fordies :D I got a AU2 fairmont Ghia ( vct i6 ) with 294k~ km, on the clock, and am currently thinking rip out, rebuild... has low end knockin on start up. And know nothings like a fresh engine, for having a squirt :D was told 1: the rings and pistons on these engines, don't really lose compression during high k's rather it would sh**T the bottom end first? ( currently running 20/50 oil haha 2: Where can I source the rings, bearings, gaskets, and such with one competent phone call.? 3: has anyone made a build thread relating to this engine? 4: any related knowledge, idea's and jokes (haha) would be gratefully received, as would love to get it out, give it to it, and make it go vroom, vroom, all around town. cheers all :D thanks in advance.

Posted: Thu Feb 23, 2012 7:29 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 4 images

Ride: EF Futura DUH

NSW, Australia

tytee wrote:
Hi fordies :D I got a AU2 fairmont Ghia ( vct i6 ) with 294k~ km, on the clock, and am currently thinking rip out, rebuild... has low end knockin on start up. And know nothings like a fresh engine, for having a squirt :D was told 1: the rings and pistons on these engines, don't really lose compression during high k's rather it would sh**T the bottom end first? ( currently running 20/50 oil haha 2: Where can I source the rings, bearings, gaskets, and such with one competent phone call.? 3: has anyone made a build thread relating to this engine? 4: any related knowledge, idea's and jokes (haha) would be gratefully received, as would love to get it out, give it to it, and make it go vroom, vroom, all around town. cheers all :D thanks in advance.

Hi there fellas,
I recently completed a rebuild simmilar to what you both look to do.
All I can say is it costs $$$$ I only did a basic build and it soaked up about $4000 and that was doing the work myself!
It was a long term thing as my previous motor had maybe 350000ks and it had been treated bad, took me about 12 months due to financial restrictions.
It was a great learning experience but in retrospect I wish I had gone further as now it just doesn't excite me all that much anymore.

My advice would be to wait until you are in a position to build something really special as it will always haunt you to why you didn't just go all the way.

Anyways, here is a link to my build thread if you wish to seek some more info: the-garage-f53/my-ef-futura-new-engine-and-some-paint-t104265.html?hilit=my EF futura new paint

1996 EF Futura factory manual
Fully rebuilt engine,Decked, Honed, Bored, Tolerences spot on, Wade 1673, Extractors, 2.5" zorst, 3" CAI, High flow filter, Exedy sports tuff clutch, Chiptorque tune.
Future Mods: A mortgage...

Posted: Thu Feb 23, 2012 9:11 pm 
Getting Side Ways

QLD, Australia

Or get a 2nd hand low km engine. Can be a bit of a lucky dip but if you aren't rebuilding for performance it is a good value option.

I bought the pistons rings for a rebuild, then decided I really didn't want to spend the coin on my car and sold it lol. My engine didn't need it though.

EVL098 wrote:

Sort by  
 Page 1 of 2  [ 18 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next