Fordmods Logo

AUIII idling too FAST after major service 

Page 1 of 2 [ 19 posts ] Go to page 1, 2  Next

Post subject: AUIII idling too FAST after major service
Posted: Wed Jan 02, 2008 1:29 pm 
Parts Gopher

VIC, Australia

Hi all

I had a major service done on my AUIII Fairmont a few days ago and noticed that the engine was idling faster (around 900RPM). I also noticed that I was having to brake when I'd normally be coasting, and brake harder at the final part of stopping. I can reverse into my garage without touching the accel.

The service guy said that the tune and body clean out may be the cause of the idle change and that it's probably idling faster because it's breathing better. He also mentioned the timing was slightly adjusted to spec.

Now, I presume 900RPM on a stock is way too high, and it seems strange that they wouldn't have noticed it... so what should I be doing about it? I'd rather not have to go back there if it's something relatively simple. Thanks in advance for any suggestions. :)

Posted: Wed Jan 02, 2008 1:35 pm 
Fordmods Junkie

Gallery: 2 images

Ride: AUXR6 HP With Ducati SupA Bike!

WA, Australia

iirc the idle should be aroun 8-900rpm anyways

RIP SCOTT

Posted: Wed Jan 02, 2008 1:36 pm 
Getting Side Ways

what exactly was done?

Posted: Wed Jan 02, 2008 1:40 pm 
Parts Gopher

VIC, Australia

FordFairmont wrote:
what exactly was done?

Major service by a Ford dealer, plus they replaced a drive belt.

I've looked at the list of items they have on the invoice but it's just a bunch of canned sentences, eg "Replaced air cleaner & spark plus as required" and it does not list other obvious things that were done such as door hinge lubrication. No mention of cleaning the throttle body or adjusting timing either.

So I can't really be sure exactly what's been done. :)

I can't find any exact specs for the AU engine that mention idle RPM but I did find a couple of articles that say that one of the changes was that between the EL and AU idle was reduced to 650RPM (IIRC)

Posted: Wed Jan 02, 2008 1:55 pm 
Getting Side Ways

not sure about specifics, but idle is normally around 750rpm

and you prolly should get on the phone and see what theyve done... cause nothing really should change your idle, unless theyve disconnected the battery trying to reset the ecu?

Posted: Wed Jan 02, 2008 5:01 pm 
Parts Gopher

VIC, Australia

FordFairmont wrote:
not sure about specifics, but idle is normally around 750rpm

and you prolly should get on the phone and see what theyve done... cause nothing really should change your idle, unless theyve disconnected the battery trying to reset the ecu?

I thought it may have been the battery because I can hear an extra whine at low revs, a bit like a wheezing old VN, that I usually only hear for 30 mins after I've jump started a Falcon I6 (have noticed it on my EA, EL, AU over the years...)

However the clock shows the correct time and when I turned on the CD it resumed playing at the exact same spot, so I doubt the battery was D/C for any length of time.

This is what he sent me, he's basically saying it's because the throttle body is cleaner and the engine is in better tune... and kinda implying that 900RPM idle is within spec?

"Regarding your E-Mail you sent through to me. I have discused the operation with the senoir tech and also the foreman
we believe due to the major service and tune and throttle body clean out the idle would have changed slightly due to
the vehicle breathing a lot better. we did not do a ecu calibration or up grade. how ever the timing was slightly adjusted to speck
the idle should be on or close to specks. how ever if you believe that the idle is too high since we serviced your vehicle
we are happy to recheck the idle for you.
"

Posted: Wed Jan 02, 2008 5:09 pm 
Parts Gopher

VIC, Australia

http://www.autoweb.com.au/cms/A_50677/t ... ticle.html

"New 'Intech' Sixes Highlight AU Falcon Powertrain"
[...]
"Intech features a new cylinder head with a lighter mass valve train and new 'high swirl', higher compression ratio (9.65 vs 9.35:1) combustion chambers. These promote fast, complete combustion which helps reduce emissions and fuel consumption, especially during 'lean cruise' above 80kph. Idle speed is reduced to 550rpm from 650. Single, conical valve springs replace the double units on the preceding engine."

---

This is about all I can find so far that gives any actual value for idle RPM for an AU...

Posted: Wed Jan 02, 2008 5:31 pm 
Getting Side Ways

hmm.... why would they mess with your timing?

Maybe play with the idle screw at the throttle body and see if it changes, just remember what position it was in

Posted: Wed Jan 02, 2008 7:50 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 7 images

Ride: TE50

QLD, Australia

Disconnect your battery for a while and then re-connect. The computer needs to re-learn its settings. Your idle will be all over the shop after you remove the power, but it will settle in a few weeks to something very normal.

Formerly SpuDEF

Posted: Wed Jan 02, 2008 8:20 pm 
Parts Gopher

VIC, Australia

With the idle motor disconnected the engine won't actually start. Is this normal? I turned the idle screw in about a turn and it now starts and idles around 600-700ish (I only have the dash tacho to go by) with the motor d/c.

Once the idle motor is reconnected it's back up to nearly 1000RPM at idle. Perhaps the TPS needs adjusting?

Posted: Wed Jan 02, 2008 8:39 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 1 images

Ride: ef fairmont,

QLD, Australia

cant see how they would have adjusted timing as it is a coil pack ignition system with a non adj sensor, take it back and say you want the base idle reset by the wds cause there is a tec support notice in their systems that tells them step by step procedure how to do it , done it a couple times when i worked for ford ,

may still have it somewhere got to look :D

95 ef montfor sale pm for info, 88 hilux mud truck

Posted: Wed Jan 02, 2008 8:47 pm 
Parts Gopher

VIC, Australia

Today had to be the day I needed my multimeter and couldn't find it :)

One thing I am curious about, why is a base idle screw required if the ECU is able to partially throttle anyway? It's obviously overriding the base idle position at initial ignition because the engine wouldn't start with the ISC disconnected, and with it connected it's above what I set the base idle to anyway.

Posted: Wed Jan 02, 2008 8:51 pm 
Getting Side Ways

its not supposed to idle with isc disconnected.

so i assume youve backed off the idle screw and its still too high?

Posted: Wed Jan 02, 2008 8:59 pm 
Parts Gopher

VIC, Australia

FordFairmont wrote:
its not supposed to idle with isc disconnected.

so i assume youve backed off the idle screw and its still too high?

I was going on the info in this thread which says to start the engine (with the ISC d/c) and adjust the idle

http://www.fordmods.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=56990

So the end result is that I adjusted the idle to a suitable speed, but once the ISC motor is reconnected it makes no difference, the ECU is pushing it out further than the screw...

Posted: Wed Jan 02, 2008 9:02 pm 
Getting Side Ways

still i ask, have you backed off the idle screw with motor running and everything connected?

Or theres no adjustment left?

Sort by  
 Page 1 of 2  [ 19 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next