Fordmods Logo

B series in EF 

Page 1 of 1 [ 8 posts ] 

Post subject: B series in EF
Posted: Mon May 09, 2011 12:13 am 
Getting Side Ways

SA, Australia

Have got an EF running with a AU motor , and a BA MK2 alternator , has been fine for about 2 months , but on idle especially under load it squeaks /whines,

was just wondering what would be the cause , tensioner is "fine" i believe and the belt is new

would it be an easy job once out to replace the bearing on the alternator and the bushes and what else would be recommended to replace and how "hard' would it be ?

Post subject: Re: B series in EF
Posted: Mon May 09, 2011 12:28 am 
Technical Contributor

Gallery: 20 images

Ride: ED Falcon

Power: 133 rwkw

NSW, Australia

Tried reversing the belt and seeing if it goes?

Usually squeals are more a belt related issue...

To "hear" bearings a screwdriver that has the steel running all the way through it work...

Start the car, push the screw driver as close to the bearing as possible and stick the other end in your ear...

You'll find bearings usually "grumble" as opposed to squeal when they're gone though...

Cheers,
Tim

93 Red ED 5spd Manual Build Thread

Performance: Complete AUII VCT Wiring & Power Train, Pacey Headers, 2.5" Exhaust, Exedy Clutch, DBA Rotors
Visuals: FG XR Wheel, XR Front, 17's, BA 5 Spd Shifter, BA Ghia Window Switches, NL Cluster
Tunes: 8" Pioneer Sub, JBL Speakers, Clarion Double DIN Headunit

Posted: Mon May 09, 2011 12:35 am 
Getting Side Ways

SA, Australia

Reversing the belt ???

true , have got a brand new tensioner and pulley set up sitting around will put that in some time soon

ive also got voltage fluctuation a fair bit when i put a bit of load on it , alternator was donated to me out of a tpac ,

battery is brand new ,

Posted: Mon May 09, 2011 12:45 am 
Technical Contributor

NSW, Australia

Yeah reverse the belt... so that edge that current faces the front of the car, make it face the back? Usually they get a funny wear pattern in then and swapping them side for side wears the pattern back out...

Voltage fluctuations are due to the regulator in the alt... When you say fluctuations, from which voltages... Voltage regulation always becomes more accurate the more you load them up (same as anything)... Until then regulation percentage is quite large... And how much load are you putting on it?

Cheers,
Tim

Performance: Complete AUII VCT Wiring & Power Train, Pacey Headers, 2.5" Exhaust, Exedy Clutch, DBA Rotors
Visuals: FG XR Wheel, XR Front, 17's, BA 5 Spd Shifter, BA Ghia Window Switches, NL Cluster

Posted: Mon May 09, 2011 12:49 am 
Getting Side Ways

SA, Australia

ok will give that a go when i cheek the tensioner bearings and replace if necessarily BRAND new unit so it will make the belt wear "even" well i hope so

its usually about a 12.5 to a 13 or so , this is only going by the fairmont ghia volt meter nothing to official though, but the load is just heater fan and demister it dulls my cluster lights at night when ive got the lights on until i rev it but then when its idling again it dims once again ,

the bearing on the alternator felt quite ok when i spun it before i put the motor back into the car

Posted: Mon May 09, 2011 12:57 am 
Technical Contributor

NSW, Australia

Yeah try rotating the belt... Think you'll find it fixes it...

12.5 is way too low...

Sound be anywhere from 13.2 to 14 for a good battery... Mine used to run up to 15 when the battery was nearing the end of its life... Best to double check with a volt meter...

Heater is no load because it uses engine water... Fan and demister draw a fair bit though...

The regulator should fix this problem... Even at idle it should be able to supply volts at 13.2 even with the fan and demister going...

Check the voltage... May be up for a new regulator... Other thing to check is to make sure you don't have any dirty/loose earth connections causing voltage drop across them... So you have the one on the resivour support panel, engine earth, and on the ED the dash earth is under the panel on top of the dash just under the wind screen (covers the tweeters) not sure where the dash earth for EF's are though...

See how you go...

Cheers,
Tim

Cheers,
Tim

Posted: Mon May 09, 2011 1:00 am 
Getting Side Ways

SA, Australia

ok yeap the earth is the same as the ED under the top panel where the dash it , there all clean "rust free"

how hard would it be to change the regulator in the alternator ?

Posted: Tue May 10, 2011 12:44 am 
Getting Side Ways

SA, Australia

ok so the regulator is held in via 2 screws ive been told

is there any other "maintenance" parts to change while im at it ?

Sort by  
 Page 1 of 1  [ 8 posts ]