Fordmods Logo

BA/BF motor into later E-series. 

Page 11 of 17 [ 241 posts ] Go to page Previous  1 ... 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14 ... 17  Next

Posted: Tue Nov 14, 2006 11:07 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: Falcon

SA, Australia

Yep. As John said earlier, when people started asking about DOHC conversions there was a lot about the engine that wasnt known (and lots of inaccurate information being thrown around). Basically anyone who could have installed one back then wouldnt need to ask how to do it on the forums. As you learn more, you can get some ideas about how to work some of the issues out and this becomes more and more a realistic conversion for the average person.

But yeah, I still dont think its ever going to be a simple bolt in job. So far its just 1 engine running off an AU ecu. Still dont know how well its running, what sort of power its making, or how well a similar install would work with an EF ecu (forget about the TFI ecus).

Still, looks promising.

Stoke me a clipper, I'll be back for Christmas

Posted: Tue Nov 14, 2006 11:26 pm 
Fordmods Junkie

Gallery: 11 images

Ride: EL Fairmont, VFR400 racer

Power: 144 rwkw

VIC, Australia

So running an AU ECU for the DOHC is feasable in the E-series as well? IF so then I shall pass that message onto the mechs.

by the way I'm still in need of a BA motor...preferably with everything including loom

phong =P~

EDIT: If I was to get the BA motor can I still use the accessories from the EL and put them on the BA motor? like A/C compressor, P/S pump, Alternator etc. Or would i need the BA ones?

Would an AU ECU be easy to retrofit into the EL interior things?

phong =P~

phongus = Post whore 2006
EL XR6 motor, EL ECU + J3 chip, WADE 1673 Camshaft, 3" S/S intake, Pacy 4480, 2.5" Hi flow cat, 2.5" Lukey exhaust.
Max Power = 144.6 rwkw (03/05/2008)

Posted: Tue Nov 14, 2006 11:35 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 9 images

Ride: EF Falcon XT-T

VIC, Australia

rushed wrote:
and you said i was mad if i thought it was a simple bolt in job eh?

do it first, then say i told you so ;)

FALCN6 - EF GLi Turbo, 20" Rims, Air Bag Suspension, Straight LPG, 225rwkw
DTHWGN - EA GL Wagon, LTD Interior, Satin Black, 5.0, Turbo
RACER - EF Futura , 5.0, 5 Speed
PROJECT - 83 Thunderbird, Lowered, 18" Billet Wheels
DAILY - BA Fairmont Ghia 5.4 3V

Posted: Tue Nov 14, 2006 11:39 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 1 images

Ride: BA XR8, XD Fairmont Ghia

VIC, Australia

phongus wrote:
Mr.Kiss wrote:
Are the AU and BA/BF sumps interchangable???

Someone hasn't answered the question 3 times :(...hopefully someone could enlighten us?

they do not interchange

Posted: Tue Nov 14, 2006 11:44 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 9 images

Ride: EF Falcon XT-T

VIC, Australia

have you had a sump off a BA motor Darren?
is it the oil pump drive at the very front of the sump?

FALCN6 - EF GLi Turbo, 20" Rims, Air Bag Suspension, Straight LPG, 225rwkw
DTHWGN - EA GL Wagon, LTD Interior, Satin Black, 5.0, Turbo
RACER - EF Futura , 5.0, 5 Speed
PROJECT - 83 Thunderbird, Lowered, 18" Billet Wheels
DAILY - BA Fairmont Ghia 5.4 3V

Posted: Tue Nov 14, 2006 11:46 pm 
Getting Side Ways

SA, Australia

xr8 dismantler wrote:
phongus wrote:
Mr.Kiss wrote:

Someone hasn't answered the question 3 times :(...hopefully someone could enlighten us?

they do not interchange

slightly ot...

Any chance the BA windage tray fits in an e-series donk?

if so whats the chances of you seperating one?

Posted: Wed Nov 15, 2006 12:00 am 
Getting Side Ways

VIC, Australia

stockstandard wrote:
xr8 dismantler wrote:
phongus wrote:
Mr.Kiss wrote:

they do not interchange

slightly ot...

modifying a e series sump onto a BA motor would be more work than modifying the BA sump . i will look at getting some sumps made up. i have a mate with a tig welder that can do the job. i want to finish the AU job first.

we have sold a few of these motors in the last few weeks. they will become very popular .

to put a turbo BA motor with BA pcm into a E series can be engineered and be legal. try engineering a turbo onto a e series motor with a aftermarket ecu . cant be done!

Posted: Wed Nov 15, 2006 12:03 am 
Fordmods Junkie

VIC, Australia

xr8 dismantler wrote:
stockstandard wrote:
xr8 dismantler wrote:
phongus wrote:
Mr.Kiss wrote:

they do not interchange

slightly ot...

modifying a e series sump onto a BA motor would be more work than modifying the BA sump . i will look at getting some sumps made up. i have a mate with a tig welder that can do the job. i want to finish the AU job first.

we have sold a few of these motors in the last few weeks. they will become very popular .

to put a turbo BA motor with BA pcm into a E series can be engineered and be legal. try engineering a turbo onto a e series motor with a aftermarket ecu . cant be done!

Hey Darren how much do you reckon you could get me a BA motor? If I can use the accessories on my EL and put them on the BA then i won't need accessories but I will need loom and probably an AU ECU to run the motor and some accessories.

By the way what accessories could not be run with the AU ECU?

phong =P~

EL XR6 motor, EL ECU + J3 chip, WADE 1673 Camshaft, 3" S/S intake, Pacy 4480, 2.5" Hi flow cat, 2.5" Lukey exhaust.

Posted: Wed Nov 15, 2006 12:05 am 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: BA Falcon Suzy Across

Power: 178 rwkw

VIC, Australia

stockstandard wrote:
phongus wrote:
stockstandard wrote:
phongus wrote:
don't worry about the turbo motor...just turbo the NA one when you get the chance.

Putting a turbo on a NA DOHC isn't as good as getting a turbo DOHC.

=( it isn't...dayum...what about a blower??

The turbo engines have a low compression ratios which is suited to forced induction. The NA engines compression ratio is much higher.

I understand that if you upgraded the valve springs and changed the pistons to xr6T or aftermarket, the compression would be right, correct?

178.3 rwkw
15.1@96 mph
Now with 3.9 shrooms

Posted: Wed Nov 15, 2006 12:07 am 
Getting Side Ways

SA, Australia

I mean just the tray (in the sump bolted to the main caps). As seen in this pic:

Im building a SOHC thats going to see some big RPM. Was going to fab something up but from the photos ive seen the BA tray looks like it might do the job.

Posted: Wed Nov 15, 2006 12:13 am 
Getting Side Ways

VIC, Australia

phongus wrote:
xr8 dismantler wrote:
stockstandard wrote:
xr8 dismantler wrote:
phongus wrote:
Mr.Kiss wrote:

they do not interchange

slightly ot...

Hey Darren how much do you reckon you could get me a BA motor? If I can use the accessories on my EL and put them on the BA then i won't need accessories but I will need loom and probably an AU ECU to run the motor and some accessories.

By the way what accessories could not be run with the AU ECU?

phong =P~

you know the prices for the motor and accesories , if not look in the for sale section
none of the EL accessories will work. needs to be a mixture of BA and AU. yo may be able to make adaptors for the a/c but much easier to get hoses made up to suit the BA compressor and BA power steering pump
AU smartlock ECU and wiring is $250

Posted: Wed Nov 15, 2006 12:14 am 
Getting Side Ways

VIC, Australia

stockstandard wrote:
I mean just the tray (in the sump bolted to the main caps). As seen in this pic:

Im building a SOHC thats going to see some big RPM. Was going to fab something up but from the photos ive seen the BA tray looks like it might do the job.

we would have something in stock if you wanted to try it

Posted: Wed Nov 15, 2006 9:42 am 
Fordmods Junkie

VIC, Australia

okay cheers darren. I'll see if i can get 1500 for the motor...ECU can wait for now

phong =P~

Posted: Wed Nov 15, 2006 4:07 pm 
Fordmods Junkie

VIC, Australia

Alright people...I have just spoken to my mechanic and he says he will put the motor in and thats it...getting it running and getting it legal (EPA and other stuff due to aftermarket ECU) is out of his juristiction. For all the engineering and stuff, its going to be more then just 8000 odd dollars. Since I don't like to drive an illegal car we both came to the conclusion that it will be too much money to get it legal. Instead he suggested turboing an AU motor and chuck it into the empty shell I have sitting in my driveway...or my idea...BA motor, pref with turbo, into the EA shell.

Since everything is already out of the EA from the dash and the things behind it to the tail lights...I thought I would try and get the whole BA motor and the accessories inside the car...cluster and such...not so much the dashboard, I'll make my own to suit the clusters, cc etc, and chuck it all into the EA...that way there won't be much of a problem with getting the motor running legally.

An after this long debate...I have thought of getting a cam into my EL so I can TOW the EA as a project car.

Sorry for those who were waiting for me or someone else to do the BA into an EL/EF conversion but I guess being a mechanically challenged noob, I'd put something better into the empty shell in my driveway.

phong =P~

Posted: Wed Nov 15, 2006 5:52 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 13 images

Ride: BA MKII XR8

VIC, Australia

phongus wrote:
Alright people...I have just spoken to my mechanic and he says he will put the motor in and thats it...getting it running and getting it legal (EPA and other stuff due to aftermarket ECU) is out of his juristiction. For all the engineering and stuff, its going to be more then just 8000 odd dollars. Since I don't like to drive an illegal car we both came to the conclusion that it will be too much money to get it legal. Instead he suggested turboing an AU motor and chuck it into the empty shell I have sitting in my driveway...or my idea...BA motor, pref with turbo, into the EA shell.

Since everything is already out of the EA from the dash and the things behind it to the tail lights...I thought I would try and get the whole BA motor and the accessories inside the car...cluster and such...not so much the dashboard, I'll make my own to suit the clusters, cc etc, and chuck it all into the EA...that way there won't be much of a problem with getting the motor running legally.

An after this long debate...I have thought of getting a cam into my EL so I can TOW the EA as a project car.

Sorry for those who were waiting for me or someone else to do the BA into an EL/EF conversion but I guess being a mechanically challenged noob, I'd put something better into the empty shell in my driveway.

phong =P~

I'm shocked that this isn't going ahead :shock: ...........................

Sort by  
 Page 11 of 17  [ 241 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14 ... 17  Next