Fordmods Logo

BA/BF motor into later E-series. 

Page 14 of 17 [ 241 posts ] Go to page Previous  1 ... 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17  Next

Posted: Tue Nov 21, 2006 11:08 am 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 4 images

Ride: Fordrunner 5.0 Turbo

NSW, Australia

Dansedgli wrote:
Pistons are different.

The T's have lower comp pistons, floating gudgeon pins, inconnel exhaust valves, better rods depending on the model (and day of the week it seems).

Inconel is overkill on anything but a race car or maybe a diesel truck used for climbing up steep hills. Its the next step up from titanium. Super light, super heat resitant and bloody damn expensive, even when compared to titanium.

I think the E gas heads have the ionconnel valves in them as well, IIRC the rod stengths in increasing order from the factory are:

Atmo
XR6T
Egas
Typhoon

Well if 4500 is the current going rate now for a T motor then its beggining to seem a lot more worth while now. I thought they were still around the 6500-7000 dollar mark And its great that you can get an atmo for around the 1k mark now too. When they first appeared in wrecking yards wreckers were asking anything up to 3800 but that was with an auto gearbox IIRC.

Posted: Wed Dec 13, 2006 10:02 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: AU2 Ute

VIC, Australia

So...

How is everyone going with their conversions? Lots of people put their hands up to do one.

Lets see some progress.

Posted: Wed Dec 13, 2006 10:51 pm 
Fordmods Junkie

Gallery: 11 images

Ride: EL Fairmont, VFR400 racer

Power: 144 rwkw

VIC, Australia

Yeah...I started it...and I was the first to fall due to financial issues of course...big hopes but no money. Main reason I pulled out is the cost of getting the thing to run properly. But I could have just installed the engine and let it collect dust and not move it =(...I just decided I'll leave it to the professionals and I'll just do up the EL.

But I wouldn't mind knowing what's going on with the K-Frame thing to suit E-series cars =D.

phong =P~

phongus = Post whore 2006
EL XR6 motor, EL ECU + J3 chip, WADE 1673 Camshaft, 3" S/S intake, Pacy 4480, 2.5" Hi flow cat, 2.5" Lukey exhaust.
Max Power = 144.6 rwkw (03/05/2008)

Posted: Thu Dec 14, 2006 1:19 pm 
Getting Side Ways

VIC, Australia

phongus wrote:
Yeah...I started it...and I was the first to fall due to financial issues of course..

How exactly did you start the conversion? Talking about it on the internet doesnt count as a start. :lol:

Anyone else having a go?

Mine should be running by Feb but Im half considering leaving it until the cooler months before I get it running and buy a dirtbike instead.

My snort exhaust manifold, custom intake plenum and intercooler arrived last friday. They will all be fitted this weekend if the weather isnt too bad.

Posted: Thu Dec 14, 2006 7:38 pm 
Fordmods Addict

Gallery: 13 images

Ride: Falcon

Power: 237 rwkw

VIC, Australia

Dansedgli wrote:
Mine should be running by Feb but Im half considering leaving it until the cooler months before I get it running and buy a dirtbike instead.

Get a 4 stroke and turbo it :lol:

On a serious note, what are you doing management wise Dan?

That guy who put AU IRS and K frame into his EL should get onto a BA motor conversion...

ED XR8 Sprint - S-Trim, V500, 249rwkw
BF MKII F6 Tornado - 237rwkw

Posted: Thu Dec 14, 2006 7:43 pm 
Fordmods Junkie

Gallery: 11 images

Ride: EL Fairmont, VFR400 racer

Power: 144 rwkw

VIC, Australia

Dansedgli wrote:
phongus wrote:
Yeah...I started it...and I was the first to fall due to financial issues of course..

How exactly did you start the conversion? Talking about it on the internet doesnt count as a start. :lol:

Anyone else having a go?

My snort exhaust manifold, custom intake plenum and intercooler arrived last friday. They will all be fitted this weekend if the weather isnt too bad.

I started the thread and I gave up sorry. After talking to mechanic and you guys on here...it was a big hassle to get it done and more money then I thought since I needed a better ECU to run all of the components of the BA motor. But yeah...was eager to do it and get the motor only to realise that it will only sit in the garage for god knows how long.

phong =P~

phongus = Post whore 2006
EL XR6 motor, EL ECU + J3 chip, WADE 1673 Camshaft, 3" S/S intake, Pacy 4480, 2.5" Hi flow cat, 2.5" Lukey exhaust.
Max Power = 144.6 rwkw (03/05/2008)

Posted: Tue Dec 19, 2006 4:47 pm 
Smokin em up

VIC, Australia

i'll add to the BA roll call: PRESENT!

I have got as far as:
building the c10 and getting the custom bellhousing, Dominator 2500 hi-stall, starter and ring gear sorted.
Haltech ig5 and chased up coil packs and 3 channel ignitor for waste spark
2x Century M6 LPG convertors and associated lpg parts
Engine mounts
Thermo fans
power steering pump (although need to make a bracket i think)

Next thing is to strip the block and remove the pistons and rods (see my thread regarding the EA SVO engine build) in preparation for forgies/h-beams. Need a few more accessories like alternator and belt tensioner. FTG have them but its hard for me to get there during business hours.

These things cost money and time. I don't think i'll see mine making any progress until March-April.

As logical as it may seem to bite the bullet and put the BA engine into the SVO i just can't bring myself to chop it up. ....it would have to be a s**t Brock EA complianced AIT turbo to do that to it :lol:

EA SVO Fairmont Ghia - Recaros, Bilsteins, Sunroof, SVO rims and body kit, Genie headers, DBA rotors. T5 steeda triax short shifter. 3.27 lsd. (EL 4.0 ported/polished, rebuilt and balanced, Dev5 cam. J3 chipped EL ecu, AU injectors).

Posted: Sat Dec 23, 2006 3:57 pm 
Getting Side Ways

VIC, Australia

haha. Good stuff Aaron, I was starting to think your were going to ditch the idea completely.

Although I think you should cut up the SVO, classics are meant to be cut up to cause drama on the internet amongst hard core E series enthusiasts. :P

Here is a photo of mine so far. Everything is dummy fitted in place, I need to change my heater pipe setup and have a new flange welded onto my wastegate pipe on the manifold before i mount them properly.

Probably looking to have the ECU fitted so it runs in Feb, maybe March. Or later if I buy a new motorbike.

Posted: Wed Apr 25, 2007 9:34 pm 
Fordmods Newbie

Ride: 1997 EL Falcon

QLD, Australia

Not sure if anyone still looks at this but i didn't want to start a thread if there already was one. I'm going to put a ba engine in my el. Yes it is going to be done and yes it will be roadworthy. I have gathered all the information from here and have managed to get referred by a good engine builder to the right person who can do the job and manage to get the aftermarket ecu to run everything 'properly'.
I will let you guys know what happens but atm have just lined up the engine to go in with the plans set to start the conversion in the beginning of may. It should take about a week to complete. hopefully everything will go to plen, will keep you guys posted

Posted: Wed Apr 25, 2007 10:49 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: Fordrunner 5.0 Turbo

NSW, Australia

A week? s**t you must be keen dude.

Posted: Wed Apr 25, 2007 10:54 pm 
Getting Side Ways

VIC, Australia

In reality the engine swap isnt hard and shouldnt take long. Mine has dragged on because I kept changing parts, stripping the rewiring the engine bay, changed the heater and what not.

Compared to fitting another standard motor the only difference is the ECU and bonnet mods.

A day or 2 to fit swap the motors out, a few days to get the ECU in and tuned.

Quicker if you get a workshop to do it all.

Last edited by Dansedgli on Wed Apr 25, 2007 10:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Posted: Wed Apr 25, 2007 10:54 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 6 images

Ride: Falcon

NSW, Australia

Seth_Nathrah wrote:
Not sure if anyone still looks at this but i didn't want to start a thread if there already was one. I'm going to put a ba engine in my el. Yes it is going to be done and yes it will be roadworthy. I have gathered all the information from here and have managed to get referred by a good engine builder to the right person who can do the job and manage to get the aftermarket ecu to run everything 'properly'.
I will let you guys know what happens but atm have just lined up the engine to go in with the plans set to start the conversion in the beginning of may. It should take about a week to complete. hopefully everything will go to plen, will keep you guys posted

Take stacks of photos and stuff for us please!

Posted: Wed Apr 25, 2007 11:47 pm 
Smokin em up

Ride: EA svo turbo, ef Fairmontl

VIC, Australia

I am contemplating this on the EF in around 12 months time! i refuse to start until i have double the money the conversion should cost on paper! this way i hopefully wont be stuck with a dead car in the driveway forever lol! Anyways i know nothing about elecs but heres my idea (dont blast me only a suggestion!), Run my stock EF ghia ECU to control dash/interior/abs all standard components and somehow run a xr6t ecu to run just Fuel,Ign,VCT.??? think it would work? and realistaclly how long would a sandard 4 speed auto hold up to the xrt motor?

R.I.P George.D.Gogas!!!
4.5.85 - 27.2.05

Posted: Wed Apr 25, 2007 11:50 pm 
Smokin em up

Ride: EA svo turbo, ef Fairmontl

VIC, Australia

P.S: Dan was that you at the dyno day on sat with that shiny new bike??? that thing was dam hot!!! im one of sunnys mates there on the day!

R.I.P George.D.Gogas!!!
4.5.85 - 27.2.05

Posted: Thu Apr 26, 2007 8:04 am 
Getting Side Ways

VIC, Australia

Yeah mate, that was me.

Its easier to go an aftermarket ecu. Mine should be running in 2 weeks.

Sort by  
 Page 14 of 17  [ 241 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17  Next