Fordmods Logo

BA/BF motor into later E-series. 

Page 4 of 17 [ 241 posts ] Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7 ... 17  Next

Posted: Sat Nov 04, 2006 10:23 pm 
Tyre Shredder

Ride: BA Falcon

WA, Australia

for the price of BA's now it will cost you less to get yourself into a BA sedan. they are going for about $10k at the auctions, so they are heavier but damn you have no head f**k and no legality issues to worry about. hell you can get a BA turbo in the low $20k area now.

Rhyso

BA XT, typhoon intake, K&N filter, XR 17" wheels, red/black brakes, Ford scuff plates

Posted: Sat Nov 04, 2006 10:36 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: Falcon

SA, Australia

rhysy_boi wrote:
for the price of BA's now it will cost you less to get yourself into a BA sedan.

lol - DOHC's have been going on ebay for $850 (similar prices to second hand e-series and AU engines). If you put a $2000 ECU in it you will have a DOHC falcon for $3k.

you might have trouble finding a BA for $3000.

Stoke me a clipper, I'll be back for Christmas

Posted: Sat Nov 04, 2006 11:03 pm 
Getting Side Ways

SA, Australia

oh, and bringing a few threads together

here is a DOHC going into a EA
Thread: http://www.fordmods.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=38794

and here is one going into a XF
Thread: http://www.fordmods.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=31720

'Good on ya' to the people giving it a shot!

Posted: Sun Nov 05, 2006 12:08 am 
Fordmods Junkie

Gallery: 11 images

Ride: EL Fairmont, VFR400 racer

Power: 144 rwkw

VIC, Australia

yeah i can get a BA now for 10K....but there is no fun in it :P...it may cost a fair bit but its something different (not for long) and i get a better engine, in a lighter car...that would last me for a while longer...assuming the rolling shell can keep up with the times.

So I'd prefer to have a BA engine then a heavy BA...and I prefer a EL Fairmont over the BA Fairmont look.

Thanks stockstandard for giving me as much info as possible. By the way in one of the threads one of them said that the sump can't be modified in the BA cause its different :S....can anyone verify this?

If you can't I might be modifying the K-Frame or cross-member.

phong =P~

phongus = Post whore 2006
EL XR6 motor, EL ECU + J3 chip, WADE 1673 Camshaft, 3" S/S intake, Pacy 4480, 2.5" Hi flow cat, 2.5" Lukey exhaust.
Max Power = 144.6 rwkw (03/05/2008)

Posted: Sun Nov 05, 2006 12:29 am 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: AU2 Ute

VIC, Australia

Why would that need confirmation? I put the motor into the car today and thats how it is. The humps sits on top of the ea crossmember.

Posted: Sun Nov 05, 2006 7:59 am 
Fordmods Junkie

VIC, Australia

Dansedgli wrote:
Why would that need confirmation? I put the motor into the car today and thats how it is. The humps sits on top of the ea crossmember.

Because I'm not sure if I should modify the sump or the K-Frame so that the engine would fit. But obviously its easier to modify the K-Frame/crossmember.

Do you reckon you could take a picture of how the sump sits on the EA? You going to put a bonnet buldge on so that the bonnet could close properly?

cheers

phong =P~

EL XR6 motor, EL ECU + J3 chip, WADE 1673 Camshaft, 3" S/S intake, Pacy 4480, 2.5" Hi flow cat, 2.5" Lukey exhaust.

Posted: Sun Nov 05, 2006 9:18 am 
Getting Side Ways

VIC, Australia

Yep, Ill get a picture when I take the motor out again today. On the AU motors, the front of the sump is flat. I would suspect there is something behind the hump so I think modding it would be out of the question.

The wrecker I got my engine from sold JETXR his engine and said he had a huge problems getting to fit and modded his K frame quite a lot.

I dont think Ill need a bulge if I cut out the bonnet reinforcment in 1 spot.

Its pretty damn close to closing atm.

Posted: Sun Nov 05, 2006 10:44 am 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: Soarer 2.5GT-T

VIC, Australia

phongus wrote:
Dansedgli wrote:

Because I'm not sure if I should modify the sump or the K-Frame so that the engine would fit. But obviously its easier to modify the K-Frame/crossmember.

Do you reckon you could take a picture of how the sump sits on the EA? You going to put a bonnet buldge on so that the bonnet could close properly?

cheers

phong =P~

you should always modify the sump first where possible. jetxr's car ain't legal any more cos whatever copper defected him knew about the k frame cut, modifying the sump is legal.
The EA's k frame is different, that's why it's easy to do au engine swaps into the EA-ED's, EF-EL is a different story.
If you can get a modified AU sump to fit an EF/EL can't you just use that same sump on a BA engine?

Posted: Sun Nov 05, 2006 12:28 pm 
Fordmods Junkie

VIC, Australia

Soulfire wrote:
phongus wrote:
Dansedgli wrote:

cheers

phong =P~

you should always modify the sump first where possible. jetxr's car ain't legal any more cos whatever copper defected him knew about the k frame cut, modifying the sump is legal.
The EA's k frame is different, that's why it's easy to do au engine swaps into the EA-ED's, EF-EL is a different story.
If you can get a modified AU sump to fit an EF/EL can't you just use that same sump on a BA engine?

I was thinking the same thing. Wouldn't I be able to use the same sump as the AU? If the K-frame is re-engineered professionally is that still legal?

The K-Frame is part of the chassis of the car isn't it? As in welded in?

phong =P~

Last edited by phongus on Sun Nov 05, 2006 12:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Posted: Sun Nov 05, 2006 12:33 pm 
Getting Side Ways

VIC, Australia

Pics of sump clearance. Engine is mounted, no gearbox attached.

AU motors dont have the hump and they appear to sit higher in the engine bay. A mate did an AU conversion and his balancer is about an inch higher.

Posted: Sun Nov 05, 2006 12:36 pm 
Getting Side Ways

SA, Australia

damn your going to need more room than that

Posted: Sun Nov 05, 2006 12:45 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 3 images

Ride: BA MKII Futura

VIC, Australia

bit of a beginner question maybe but why does an aftermarket ecu need to be used?
wouldnt putting in BA motor, and every other bit from a BA work out cheaper?

like ecu and all that other stuff? ignition system or whatever so the EL just acts as a home away from home for the motor which has everthing it needs?

Posted: Sun Nov 05, 2006 12:52 pm 
Getting Side Ways

SA, Australia

akademiks wrote:
bit of a beginner question maybe but why does an aftermarket ecu need to be used?
wouldnt putting in BA motor, and every other bit from a BA work out cheaper?

like ecu and all that other stuff? ignition system or whatever so the EL just acts as a home away from home for the motor which has everthing it needs?

Already asked and answered in this thread. From what is being said you would need to rewire the entire car to be a BA. Not a small task, and far easier just to modify the BA ecu or go aftermarket.

Posted: Sun Nov 05, 2006 1:00 pm 
Fordmods Junkie

VIC, Australia

damn...that is a really tight fit :shock: looks like im going to get some trouble trying to mount that in the EL.

Can you fit a modified AU sump onto the BA? or are they a different fit?

phong =P~

Posted: Sun Nov 05, 2006 6:42 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 6 images

Ride: E39 523i / EF Fairmont

QLD, Australia

Man, all these BA engines in E/X series cars is getting me excited. Hope I can do the same one day.

I thought JetXR's was illegal because he had that hole in the bonnet? I guess if you installed a bulge and actually used it, you'd get around that problem.

E39 523i
EF Fairmont

Sort by  
 Page 4 of 17  [ 241 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7 ... 17  Next