Fordmods Logo

BA/BF motor into later E-series. 

Page 7 of 17 [ 241 posts ] Go to page Previous  1 ... 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10 ... 17  Next

Posted: Mon Nov 06, 2006 6:09 pm 
Fordmods Junkie

Gallery: 11 images

Ride: EL Fairmont, VFR400 racer

Power: 144 rwkw

VIC, Australia

Yeah I was thinking of the raising bit as well. I shall see how we go. Since it is public holidays I can't speak to the mechanic, so I shall try on Thursday. A reminder that I am still at uni so it will take a while to get some of the money together...though hopefully my dad is capable of giving me 2000 to get me started.

cheers everyone for the info

phong =P~

phongus = Post whore 2006
EL XR6 motor, EL ECU + J3 chip, WADE 1673 Camshaft, 3" S/S intake, Pacy 4480, 2.5" Hi flow cat, 2.5" Lukey exhaust.
Max Power = 144.6 rwkw (03/05/2008)

Posted: Mon Nov 06, 2006 6:18 pm 
Getting Side Ways

VIC, Australia

damn this thread i had come to terms with just going and au decided against the ba for elec reasons but am now think yes to the ba agian damn all you!!! surely there has to be an aftermarket ecu that could do the job yes?

Posted: Mon Nov 06, 2006 6:22 pm 
Fordmods Junkie

VIC, Australia

shoey50 wrote:
damn this thread i had come to terms with just going and au decided against the ba for elec reasons but am now think yes to the ba agian damn all you!!! surely there has to be an aftermarket ecu that could do the job yes?

just run Wolf 3D....im sure that can control the VCT but I don't think it can run that other electrical one. We'll have to wait till Darren and crew have figured something out.

phong =P~

EL XR6 motor, EL ECU + J3 chip, WADE 1673 Camshaft, 3" S/S intake, Pacy 4480, 2.5" Hi flow cat, 2.5" Lukey exhaust.

Posted: Mon Nov 06, 2006 6:34 pm 
Technical Contributor

Ride: BA

NSW, Australia

yea just wait and copy them then say that u had it first. haha.

"Chuck Norris does not sleep. He waits."
"Chuck Norris is so fast, he can run around the world and punch himself in the back of the head."
"Chuck Norris ordered a Big Mac at Burger King, and got one."

Posted: Mon Nov 06, 2006 7:03 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 13 images

Ride: BA MKII XR8

VIC, Australia

Looking forward to seeing how this progresses...

Posted: Mon Nov 06, 2006 7:57 pm 
Getting Side Ways

VIC, Australia

but i cant wait that long!!

Posted: Tue Nov 07, 2006 1:52 am 
Fordmods Junkie

VIC, Australia

Mechanical and dropping the BA donk into the EL engine bay has now been sorted partially in words.

and now to the other parts which after having a discussion with a fm member have come to realise that its going to be a ball breaker trying to figure out how to START the engine...

So far MSII and maybe some programming upgrades could run the dual VCT and also the BA ECU + EDIT which FTG might have been able to do, to run the engine. OR Wolf 3D with the loss of VCT and Motech M600 or M800 which basically could run everything in the BA motor.

Or I could have a look at the BA ECU and do extremely deep research into understanding what the hell does what. If someone has a schematic or something on the BA ECU and EL ECU...I could have a look at that and see what does what. I'm sure its not that easy as looking at the ECU interiors but could do something?

cheers

phong =P~

Posted: Tue Nov 07, 2006 2:26 am 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: AU2 Ute

VIC, Australia

Too many questions, not enough doing.

Posted: Tue Nov 07, 2006 2:38 am 
Fordmods Junkie

VIC, Australia

Dansedgli wrote:

I did say I was just doing research...wasn't going ahead with it until mechanic gets back to me to see if its feasable.

So far...putting it is a thumbs up...but someone has to give me tips on getting it started. If you guys do then engine will go in ;)

phong =P~

Posted: Tue Nov 07, 2006 2:56 am 
Stock as a Rock

Ride: EF 95' Fairmont

WA, Australia

Hurry Someone give him the knowledge to do it.... Maybe get in contact with Auto Sparky or aPerformance tuner/Mechanic of somesorts.... ooohhh im getting excited phong :)

Posted: Tue Nov 07, 2006 9:33 am 
Tyre Shredder

Ride: F350, EF2 Ghia, XC & Corty

Power: 218 rwkw

VIC, Australia

From what I understand, the BA/BF motor no longer uses an auxilary shaft to drive the oil pump. So it would make sense that the oil pump would be mounted below the crankshaft, where that hump is located. Was thinking of mounting an oil pump in that location on a crossflow, and running a set of gear drives to drive the pump off.
Hurry up Dan... drop em... the sump that is... :o

13.28@103.73mph

Posted: Tue Nov 07, 2006 10:48 am 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 33 images

Ride: EL Fairmont Ghia

TAS, Australia

Dansedgli wrote:

getting it to fit is the easy part.

what are you using for engine management thats what im interesteted in seeing done

Posted: Tue Nov 07, 2006 10:52 am 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: AU2 Ute

VIC, Australia

EMS 8860 - disconnected VCT

Its not that difficult. People have been running VCT, twin cams and aftermarket computers for years.

Posted: Tue Nov 07, 2006 11:51 am 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 33 images

Ride: EL Fairmont Ghia

TAS, Australia

yeah asfaik the only engine management that would run it is an m600 or m800 and you can kiss 5 graand a way there.

y bother with the ba motor if yuo cand get the dual vct working thats the best part about it.

Posted: Tue Nov 07, 2006 2:50 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 4 images

Ride: Fordrunner 5.0 Turbo

NSW, Australia

Rapier wrote:
yeah asfaik the only engine management that would run it is an m600 or m800 and you can kiss 5 graand a way there.

y bother with the ba motor if yuo cand get the dual vct working thats the best part about it.

Look at all the Jap guys pushing monster power out of their engines. They all disconnect their valve and cam timing systems. All VCT does is shift the power curve around a bit. If your building a 1/4 mile monster then anything under the stall speed of the converter is useless to you. and I'm assuming that's why people are wishing to fit BA engines into light cars like a 1300kg EA as opposed to buying a 1700 odd kg BA. To go drag racing. Not to plonk in a XR6T donk running a bit of exra boost. That completely defeats the purpose of the conversion when you can get better power then that with the SOHC non VCT motor with far less money spent.

Ever since nizpro pushed over 1000hp out of one of these motors at under 7500rpm then everyone has a right to dream that they can get close to those sorts of figures on a much lower budget.

VCT is not the best part. The best part is the flow potential of the 4 valve head. That is the only reason why you would go a BA over and E or A series SOHC motor.

Legally the only way to run a BA/BF motor in another car is with all of the support systems functioning. Including drive by wire throttle and VCT. The only computer to capably perform those functions with as good or better resolution then the factory computer is the motec M800 and what might seem cheap for the initial computer quickly runs out to over 8 grand once all the add ons for the support systems are in place. This is where JET XR got f**k over big time. A cable operated XF throttlebody with no provision for ISC sticks out like dogs balls on a car that should be running electronic throttle and an ISC.

Sort by  
 Page 7 of 17  [ 241 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10 ... 17  Next