Fordmods Logo

BA I6 vs. BA XR8 

Page 1 of 3 [ 40 posts ] Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next

Post subject: BA I6 vs. BA XR8
Posted: Tue Jan 16, 2007 9:56 am 
Stock as a Rock

Ride: BA XR8 Sedan or a potato gun

QLD, Australia

Posted this in another forum with one response of a question leading to nothing, so I thought I would ask here - as you see below I have a BA XT N/A with the below mods - car has been great and reliable, but I took a BA XR8 ute for a test drive last weekend and fell in love.

Despite the obvious fuel/rego/insurance increase, is there any other opinions for or against the upgrade??

Sadly "X-RATED" has been sold to my brother - no longer do I own my XT - but its a brief sadness!! I now have an XR8 and permanent boner - SCHWING!!

Posted: Tue Jan 16, 2007 10:36 am 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: BA XR6 Turbo

Power: 221 rwkw

ACT, Australia

Mate i am for the swap,
For one thing you cant beat the sound of a V8 and to tell you the truth the fuel econ isnt that bad, my brother has a '03 BA XR8 ute 5-speed manual and he averages about 15.0L/100km so on average thats about we will say 3 letres more per hundred which is on average $3.60 more on fuel per hundred km so its not that much more but you will be doing it in a XR8!!! For me thats enough to trade up there right now if i had the money

Griffo

ED XR6 manual for sale. MOMO steering wheel and alot of extra's. PM for more info.

BA XR6 Turbo- 238.8rwkw

Posted: Tue Jan 16, 2007 10:54 am 
Tyre Shredder

NSW, Australia

griffo161 wrote:
Mate i am for the swap,
For one thing you cant beat the sound of a V8 and to tell you the truth the fuel econ isnt that bad, my brother has a '03 BA XR8 ute 5-speed manual and he averages about 15.0L/100km so on average thats about we will say 3 letres more per hundred which is on average $3.60 more on fuel per hundred km so its not that much more but you will be doing it in a XR8!!! For me thats enough to trade up there right now if i had the money

Griffo

Assuming you do 400-500k's a tank, that's about $15-16 a tank.... If you're doing a alot of K's it would hurt ur back pocket.

For me, if I could afford to buy a V8, I'd be there in a instant, that's my opinion though...

Posted: Tue Jan 16, 2007 11:17 am 
Stock as a Rock

QLD, Australia

Well I will have the cash next month and will have about 25 gorillas to play with... Hence why I was test driving - the XR8 blue the sox off though compared to the others I drove... Great power and response - handling was good for a ute and the growl from the engine was enough for a joy-gasm...
Will be selling the XT after purchase for upgrades too - Headers, zorst, high flow cat, CAI or shaker not sure yet, and some lowered suspension.
I know the 6's have lots of potential, I just feel the V8 has more, am I wrong with this assumption??

Sadly "X-RATED" has been sold to my brother - no longer do I own my XT - but its a brief sadness!! I now have an XR8 and permanent boner - SCHWING!!

Posted: Tue Jan 16, 2007 11:31 am 
Tyre Shredder

Ride: BA Futura

NSW, Australia

Well you cant beat the sound of a V8, no matter how good a six is (in my opinion anyway). The only real disadvantages of an 8 are the ones you dont want to hear again, fuel/rego/insurance. Oh and maintinence costs are higher, especially when you compare an XT to an XR8 i.e brakes, etc. Are you going to return the XT to stock before selling? I might be interested in a few items :twisted:

For Show: 18" Kaotic Shadow Chrome, King SL, Cadence Amp, Kenwood 12" Sub, JL Audio 5x7's

For Go: SVI LPG, K&N Filter, F6 CAI, XR6T snorkle, XR8 catback, Magnaflow metal cat, Pacemaker headers, Underdrive, Thermostat, Custom tune, DBA4000

175.6 rwkw

Posted: Tue Jan 16, 2007 11:51 am 
Stock as a Rock

QLD, Australia

Yeah taken most of the "extra" costs into account... Thing is the XR8 would not be a daily driver as I am heading into a promotion and will have a company car to do all that for me... :D But you're right, and while I am a BIG fan on the ford 6, the V8 grunt and growl is just doing it for me at the moment and can't see why I wouldn't, considering it won't be a daily driver...
Unfortunately I won't be returning the XT to stock as I have a couple of young guys interested in it as is (minus the headunit, amp and subs) and are willing to pay what I am asking... Plus I didn't keep the stock headers, zorst or suspension - sorry dude... But it will be a case of first in best dressed when I go to sell her...

Posted: Tue Jan 16, 2007 12:00 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: BA Fairlane Ghia

WA, Australia

You got 25g to play with, on a car??? I could find better things to do with it.

Posted: Tue Jan 16, 2007 12:16 pm 
Stock as a Rock

QLD, Australia

Yeah - heard that - but I got a fair bit more I'm pouring into a new house from the sale of my ex-rental house, so I thought I would treat myself to another car... :D

Posted: Tue Jan 16, 2007 9:28 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 4 images

Ride: xr6 turbo

NSW, Australia

man keep the xt and go around the world trip and have your self alot of sex lol or get a xr8

EDITED BY MOD, ADVERTISING NOT PERMITTED IN SIG. PLEASE REFER TO FORUM GUIDELINES

Posted: Tue Jan 16, 2007 9:29 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 1 images

Ride: BA Falcon Suzy Across

Power: 178 rwkw

VIC, Australia

have you taken the xr6 turbo for a test drive yet?

178.3 rwkw
15.1@96 mph
Now with 3.9 shrooms

Posted: Tue Jan 16, 2007 9:31 pm 
Getting Side Ways

NSW, Australia

isnt the xr6t quicker than the xr8 thats what ive herd

EDITED BY MOD, ADVERTISING NOT PERMITTED IN SIG. PLEASE REFER TO FORUM GUIDELINES

Posted: Tue Jan 16, 2007 9:36 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: EF Falcon 95

VIC, Australia

dont know bout stock for stock, probably is, the XR8s lack down low grunt.

modified, much easier to put the turbo into 11/12 second zone.

Cougar Zero makes my pants fit nice.

Posted: Tue Jan 16, 2007 9:48 pm 
Getting Side Ways

NSW, Australia

yea i thought so and thats what ive been told i wana race one to see how i go. so far ive beaten a wrx sti rolling start at night (nice cold night) the turbo was happy and i beat him about 3 4 cars my mate has a stock 200sx s15 and he says my xr6t is quicker. but im hanging to race a xr8 ever since ive got my xr6t and ive raced a auto xr6 turbo rolling start and i beat that to 3 4 cars my xr6t is manual but when i get to race a xr8 ill let you no

Posted: Tue Jan 16, 2007 9:58 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 1 images

Ride: BA Falcon Suzy Across

Power: 178 rwkw

VIC, Australia

i've heard xr6T's are quicker, similarly, typhoons are quicker than GT's.

178.3 rwkw
15.1@96 mph
Now with 3.9 shrooms

Posted: Tue Jan 16, 2007 10:14 pm 
Tyre Shredder

Gallery: 3 images

WA, Australia

yer quicker over the quarter mile but after that the 8 will fly past

84 XF Falcon S Pak, 250 crossflow (rebuilt ~5000km ago, carby model), Bored out 30 thou, Crow racing cam, extractors, yokohama 245's all the way round, chrome 12 slotters, lowered, 4spd man, open wheeler (blew my lsd...), Thumping sound system, L.E.D's everywhere

Sort by  
 Page 1 of 3  [ 40 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next