Fordmods Logo

BA MKII XR6 Economy Comparisons 

Page 2 of 2 [ 26 posts ] Go to page Previous  1, 2

Post subject: Re: BA MKII XR6 Economy Comparisons
Posted: Mon May 02, 2011 9:50 am 
Oompa Loompa

Ride: 2007 BF MkII XR6

NSW, Australia

I searched the forum for this information because I too myself have a BF MkII XR6 and was wondering why the hell I've been to the servo more times in the 4 days I've owned it than any other car I've ever had.

I drive on average 160km a day for work so I wanted a big car that's good on economy, I thought the XR6 was the way to go, I think I got it a little wrong.

I went for a drive to Wollongong on Saturday night from Campbelltown (70km) and a quick drive around the 'Gong, driving pretty sedately, I used half a tank for 168km.

To me, that's wrong. That's bored out, tuned and properly worked V8 numbers.

Be honest with yourself, if you're going to 'drive it like you stole it' like EVERY P-Plater in NSW, don't spend a lot of money on a BA-BF XR6, it'll use a lot of fuel and yeah... You'll be at the bowser more than you'd like.

Maybe look at an XT? Because as we all know, the only difference between an XR6 and an XT is the body kit, interior and suspension. You can grab a BF MkII XT for around $15,000-$17,000 - a GT or XR body kit for $1,500, nice set of 19's for $2,000 and a bangin' sound system for $3,000 - you've got yourself a WAY better car, all set up to look the part, but you're saving money at the bowser and consistantly getting 550-600km out of a full tank.

Just a thought...

tonka

I'd rather push my Ford than drive a Holden.
Looking for an XR6T with a ZF box - dream car <3

http://tinyurl.com/6aqdpuc - build thread.

Posted: Mon May 02, 2011 10:32 am 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: 1993 EB XR8

QLD, Australia

tonka28 wrote:
I searched the forum for this information because I too myself have a BF MkII XR6 and was wondering why the hell I've been to the servo more times in the 4 days I've owned it than any other car I've ever had.

I drive on average 160km a day for work so I wanted a big car that's good on economy, I thought the XR6 was the way to go, I think I got it a little wrong.

I went for a drive to Wollongong on Saturday night from Campbelltown (70km) and a quick drive around the 'Gong, driving pretty sedately, I used half a tank for 168km.

To me, that's wrong. That's bored out, tuned and properly worked V8 numbers.

Be honest with yourself, if you're going to 'drive it like you stole it' like EVERY P-Plater in NSW, don't spend a lot of money on a BA-BF XR6, it'll use a lot of fuel and yeah... You'll be at the bowser more than you'd like.

Maybe look at an XT? Because as we all know, the only difference between an XR6 and an XT is the body kit, interior and suspension. You can grab a BF MkII XT for around $15,000-$17,000 - a GT or XR body kit for $1,500, nice set of 19's for $2,000 and a bangin' sound system for $3,000 - you've got yourself a WAY better car, all set up to look the part, but you're saving money at the bowser and consistantly getting 550-600km out of a full tank.

Just a thought...

tonka

lolwut? you think an XT will be better on fuel when the tune is the same, driver is the same etc. Fuel usage is directly linked to driving style. A BF with a ZF would be the choice IMHO.

ILL60 - EF XR8, Sunroof, Ticky Kit, 19x8.5/19x11 TE37's, 347, AFr185's, TFS BoxRcustom converter, Hurst Quarterstick, huge billet cam.

OO0Y4 - BA2 XR6 Turbo, Nizpro Plenum, Process West stage 3 cooler, 4” dump, 3.5” exhaust, ID1000’s, ZF Auto - 11.8@116

Posted: Mon May 02, 2011 11:28 am 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 5 images

Ride: Vixen Red 09 FG XT

QLD, Australia

Hey mate. I have an '04 BA XT and it guzzles the fuel. Expect to be going back to the pumps every 3-4 days if you have even the slightest bit of a lead foot. The best I managed to get my average city driving (with 0 P-Plate lead foot action) was 9.8L/100. Then, I decided to see a comparison to when I lead foot it, and it shoots up to something like 18L/100 +. In the end, its all in how you drive.
Highway figures are amazingly better though. I CC at 100-105 and it will do 6.5-9L/100. (This was all when it was stock as a rock, these figure will have changed by now :( )

VIXEN FG XT Previous best - 14.431 @ 99.69mph with minor mods
Currently 14.235 @ 101mph same mods. Bring on the 13's!

Posted: Mon May 02, 2011 11:29 am 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 5 images

Ride: Vixen Red 09 FG XT

QLD, Australia

Oh and also, tyre size really does help... don't put 20's on like I did ^.^

VIXEN FG XT Previous best - 14.431 @ 99.69mph with minor mods
Currently 14.235 @ 101mph same mods. Bring on the 13's!

Posted: Mon May 02, 2011 12:46 pm 
Oompa Loompa

NSW, Australia

67RCE wrote:
lolwut? you think an XT will be better on fuel when the tune is the same, driver is the same etc. Fuel usage is directly linked to driving style. A BF with a ZF would be the choice IMHO.

Don't think, know. While I was waiting for my XR6 to be delievered, I was given an XT as a loaner to drive. I got 603km out of a full tank and that was with me giving it the biscuits whenever I could.

The XT uses less fuel, simple. In relation to your comment about the ZF... :D. Couldn't agree with you more.

Posted: Mon May 02, 2011 12:53 pm 
Fordmods Junkie

Ride: Kia Rio - 1.4L Auto

Power: 238 rwkw

VIC, Australia

tonka28 wrote:
67RCE wrote:

Don't think, know. While I was waiting for my XR6 to be delievered, I was given an XT as a loaner to drive. I got 603km out of a full tank and that was with me giving it the biscuits whenever I could.

The XT uses less fuel, simple. In relation to your comment about the ZF... :D. Couldn't agree with you more.

An XR6 is a dressed up XT with a 3.45 diff, and thats is.

Fuel economy is basically the same.

Maybe you got a bad XR6 and it needs to be checked out?

Even with 300kw at the wheels I can still get a 400km city tank and near 800km highway tank out of my s**t.

Posted: Mon May 02, 2011 1:34 pm 
Oompa Loompa

NSW, Australia

arm79 wrote:
Maybe you got a bad XR6 and it needs to be checked out?

Son of a b**ch! That's what I was hoping was NOT the issue. Because I think that there might be something wrong with her. I'm on the road all this week, so I'll test her and see if she gets better on the highway. If not - straight back in for a warranty check-up :D

Posted: Mon May 02, 2011 1:57 pm 
Fordmods Junkie

VIC, Australia

Yeah, if I was only getting 168km for every half tank, and it was being driven sedately, it would piss me off greatly. Car would be straight back in for a checkup.

Thats the kind of economy I get flogging mine since I got the tune done.

Might be best to do full tank of driving and work out the actual consumption based on km and tank, not just watching the gauge. There are lots of BF's out there with inaccurate fuel gauges. Mine was one of them until I fixed it.

Posted: Mon May 02, 2011 4:22 pm 
Oompa Loompa

NSW, Australia

arm79 wrote:
There are lots of BF's out there with inaccurate fuel gauges. Mine was one of them until I fixed it.

Yeah, I'll have a look at it this week and see what's going on. I understand and appreciate that booting the XR is going to be more costly than normal, but unless i'm 550-600km out of this tank, tonka's not going to be happy!

Posted: Wed May 04, 2011 7:20 pm 
Oompa Loompa

NSW, Australia

Ok - from a full tank of E10 @ $1.53/L (ouch) I've gotten 500km's out of her so far and the 'range' read out says I've got 74kms left - I'm not jumping over the moon, but I'm not p****d off either. Thinking about getting a growler just so I can save a little more fuel, maybe bring it down from 14.3L/100km to something around the 13L/100km mark :D

Posted: Wed May 04, 2011 8:46 pm 
Fordmods Junkie

VIC, Australia

Well.. I you've done 500km, thats 13.5/100km... Not too bad.

You're only 30km off a 13.0

Sort by  
 Page 2 of 2  [ 26 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2