Fordmods Logo

BA MKII XR6 Economy Comparisons 

Page 1 of 2 [ 26 posts ] Go to page 1, 2  Next

Post subject: BA MKII XR6 Economy Comparisons
Posted: Thu Jan 13, 2011 1:17 am 
Fordmods Newbie

Ride: BF XR6

VIC, Australia

Already posted this on fordforums.. but I thought why not post on both.

So basically I'm coming up to the time of buying my first car. I have my heart set on a BA MKII XR6, well I had my heart set on a BA or later XR6 and my price range is allowing me to get a BA MKII.
Spoke to my dad about this, he had a BA MKII XR6 awhile ago. He said it was the best car he has owned.. But the economy was terrible and recommended that if I were to get one I would need to get gas.

My question is, could anyone tell me the kinds of economy they have using different fuels, such as 91, 95 and 98 octane and whether installing gas would be worth it for a first car? I'm not talking about consumption for when your driving it hard, just everyday casual economy for both city and highway.
Does the difference in fuels and their prices vs economy actually warrant paying the extra for that fuel?

Cheers,
Liam.

Post subject: Re: BA MKII XR6 Economy Comparisons
Posted: Thu Jan 13, 2011 1:27 am 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 12 images

Ride: BA XT V8

WA, Australia

id say for the extra premium fuel cost it aint worth it if your aftrr economy.
And how you drive has a major factor.
But hey if you get a scooter you can hammer the guts outs it and hav good economy.. lol.

If you can get a manual i think the ba mk2 wer 6spds. if not try look a bit harder for a bf with the zf.. far more advance box than the btr 4spd wich means better econ too...

BA XT V8. Ice Mint. 18" Speedys. XR6T LSD. Full Pacemaker twin 2 1/2inch Stainless Steel system. Custom CAI. Black XR interior with white trimming. Powerbond underdrive kit 25%.
13.65@102mph. 2800 hi-Stall.
230RWKW@5250 rpm. 625NM.

Posted: Thu Jan 13, 2011 1:34 am 
Fordmods Newbie

VIC, Australia

Yeah, problem with getting a manual is that there aren't many around.
Was thinking about gas, but I'm still unsure with the prices of installation and all of that. Don't know much about dedicated gas and the costs involved with that.
A BF's price starts to get a bit steep as I will only just manage to afford a BA MKII at the moment, and I would prefer to have a little money to spend on the car afterward.
Does anyone have figures comparing the economy they have gotten on the various fuel types?

Posted: Thu Jan 13, 2011 1:55 am 
Stock as a Rock

Ride: BA XR6

VIC, Australia

I got a mark II ba xr6. They are terrible on fuel. I get 400kms city driving with 91 and 340kms with 98 but of course more power. On freeway 91 I get 550 and 98 is roughly 550 as well and that's tested from Melbourne to sydney. Where as the misses ba mk II xt gets 680kms easy on freeway with 91. Never tried the 98 with it as at the moment hammers more than my xr and the xt is faster than the xr6 and they are both stick so go figure. From memory the xr is 200kgs more than the xr6 my xr weighs 1780 or something so weight of the car definitely plays a part

Posted: Thu Jan 13, 2011 3:01 am 
Stock as a Rock

Ride: '07 BF XR6 MKII

VIC, Australia

i own an 07 bf mkII and i think it goes alright on fuel. flat highway driving with cruise control set to around 102km i get around 7.5lp100. atm i have an average of 12.7lp100 but i have quite a heavy foot :twisted: . im also running 98 at the moment and for the extra $5-10 i think its well worth it for performance, econ and maintenance.
also, i have a 4spd so im quite sure u might be looking at around the same figures with a lower average per 100

Posted: Thu Jan 13, 2011 6:30 am 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 22 images

Ride: 2013 Ford Focus ST

Power: 175 rwkw

NSW, Australia

hey mate, i got an 06 BF sedan with the 4sp auto. Cruising on hwy i get about 10l/100km, where as around "town" it gets up to 12L. I have done some mods to mine which is supposed to all help improve economy (as well as performance) but i do need to custom tune it as the computer isnt running the best as it doesnt know how to fully adapt to the mods so im sure that is affecting my consumption

cheers

phil

I hate arriving at my destination as then I have to get out of my car!

New Build Thread
the-garage-f53/the-beast-v2-0-phil-s-2013-ford-focus-st-t122703.html

Old Build Thread
the-garage-f53/phil-s-bf-sr-gt-build-thread-lots-of-pics-t98705.html

Posted: Thu Jan 13, 2011 9:02 am 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 4 images

Ride: BAII XR6T

NSW, Australia

I have a BA II XR6T and I get 11.6L / 100km that's mixed driving. But when I went to the hunter valley and back I got down to 10.2L/ 100km. Mines a 6spd manual though

FOR SALE BAII XR6 TURBO

Build Thread StrawbZ AU XR6 & BAII XR6T

Posted: Thu Jan 13, 2011 10:02 am 
Parts Gopher

Ride: FG 2010 XR8 Ute

WA, Australia

my BA MK2 5 speed manual ute
running on 98 with mods growler cold air induction, pacemaker extractors and 2.5' manta cat back system
i have just changed my oil over to Royal purple synthetic oil and it has made big saving in my fuel economy eg country driving was (110km/h) around 11L/100km, since oil change its dropped to 10.3l/100km. just did 670km on 66L the other day
city driving all depends on you driving style but mines ranges from 11.3L which is what i got the other day to about 14.5l/100km but on average about 12.5L/100km

Posted: Thu Jan 13, 2011 10:41 am 
Fordmods Newbie

VIC, Australia

Thanks for all the replies guys.
Would be nice to try and get a few figures for stock as a rock auto's. Simply because basically any type of mod is illegal (not that it ever stops you) on your p's in victoria. Auto figures would be good because there isn't too many manuals for sale.
I have been reading a fair bit that they are quite thirsty. So would a gas alternative be worth installing? Or are there other general non-mod things you can do to increase economy, such as O2 sensors

Cheers,
Liam

Posted: Thu Jan 13, 2011 2:36 pm 
Fordmods Junkie

Ride: Kia Rio - 1.4L Auto

Power: 238 rwkw

VIC, Australia

I'd hold off for a BF if possible, even if it means you wait a little longer.

The engines are much nicer to drive. Just the way they make their power and torque better suits general point to point driving. BA's felt a bit peaky and soft in the low RPMs... Whereas a BF feels very strong everywhere by comparison... Which I think shows greatly in their respective fuel consumptions.

Had a stack of BA and BF rental cars over time due to work travels, and the BF's always killed the BA's for fuel conumption. Consistantly always got 100km or more from a tank.

Best comparison was 2 consecutive weeks i spent in Perth. First week I had a white BA XR6. Drove it everywhere like I stole it and got 250km out of the tank (my boss wasnt impressed when I put in my expense report.. lol). Second week I had a white BF XR6. Doing the exact same thing to it, I got 380km out of the tank. Massive difference.

Driving them more sedately, the best I ever got out of a BA was 400km per tank. BF's were regularly 500km, give or take a little, per tank. And they were all autos.

But then I wish my BF got those kind of figures. My last average was 19.7l/100km. Strangely still alot better than BA's I've thrashed with with nearly 3 times less power. :mrgreen:

Posted: Thu Jan 13, 2011 4:11 pm 
Parts Gopher

WA, Australia

bloody hell arm79

they would have to be the worst figures ive ever seen, what you got a lead weight for a foot :lol:

the worst i have ever got out of my BA was 450km for my tank (but avg city about 550km) ...are ute tanks bigger than sedans or something ...mines a 80L tank

Last edited by comagutsa on Thu Jan 13, 2011 4:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Posted: Thu Jan 13, 2011 4:15 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 1 images

Ride: 1993 Ford Fairlane

VIC, Australia

arm79 wrote:
I'd hold off for a BF if possible, even if it means you wait a little longer.

The engines are much nicer to drive. Just the way they make their power and torque better suits general point to point driving. BA's felt a bit peaky and soft in the low RPMs... Whereas a BF feels very strong everywhere by comparison... Which I think shows greatly in their respective fuel consumptions.

Had a stack of BA and BF rental cars over time due to work travels, and the BF's always killed the BA's for fuel conumption. Consistantly always got 100km or more from a tank.

Best comparison was 2 consecutive weeks i spent in Perth. First week I had a white BA XR6. Drove it everywhere like I stole it and got 250km out of the tank (my boss wasnt impressed when I put in my expense report.. lol). Second week I had a white BF XR6. Doing the exact same thing to it, I got 380km out of the tank. Massive difference.

Driving them more sedately, the best I ever got out of a BA was 400km per tank. BF's were regularly 500km, give or take a little, per tank. And they were all autos.

But then I wish my BF got those kind of figures. My last average was 19.7l/100km. Strangely still alot better than BA's I've thrashed with with nearly 3 times less power. :mrgreen:

far out...
i always get mid 500's in my BA 5 speed...

1993 NCII Fairlane
Mods to come:
V8 - SLs - exhaust - DC LTD leather - LTD grill and garnish - LTD wood grain - body colour trim - wheels - tinted windows

1991 NCI Fairlane
Mods to come:
4.0L - lows - exhaust - NCII seats - NCII door trims - LTD grill - body colour trim - wheels - window tint

Posted: Thu Jan 13, 2011 4:16 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 22 images

Ride: 2013 Ford Focus ST

Power: 175 rwkw

NSW, Australia

comagutsa wrote:

the worst i have ever got out of my BA was 450km for my tank ...are ute tanks bigger than sedans or something ...mines a 80L tank

yeah the sedans have like a 65L tank or something like that, def no 80L

I hate arriving at my destination as then I have to get out of my car!

New Build Thread
the-garage-f53/the-beast-v2-0-phil-s-2013-ford-focus-st-t122703.html

Old Build Thread
the-garage-f53/phil-s-bf-sr-gt-build-thread-lots-of-pics-t98705.html

Posted: Thu Jan 13, 2011 4:43 pm 
Parts Gopher

WA, Australia

phil545 wrote:
comagutsa wrote:

the worst i have ever got out of my BA was 450km for my tank ...are ute tanks bigger than sedans or something ...mines a 80L tank

yeah the sedans have like a 65L tank or something like that, def no 80L

yep 68L tank for sedan , ute 80L

Posted: Thu Jan 13, 2011 7:34 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 3 images

Ride: BA XR6

NSW, Australia

im a p-plater and ive got a ba mk2 xr6, im useing 98 RON fuel ill get around the 550 per tank, but for your p's its not an economical car, mines a 4spd auto, and almost stock (CAI is only mod and does s**t all to economy). if you drive like a granny you can get an average of 12Lper 100kms, however if you drive like a p plater with a xr6, you'll get a much more realistic 15L per 100. also if you hoon around and foot to the floor everytime you take off expect a consumption of around 17+ per 100.
p.s. if you get a falcon on your p's its a good car to learn on, keeps your driving speed in check cause everytime you plant the throttle to take off quickly and get to speed quickly you'll chew thro fuel and your wallet. and cause its such a big car its much safer in a accident.

BA XR6
Performance mods: typhoon + territory pipe with K&N filter, full exhaust, BPR generic tune, lowered, xr6t front brakes, territory rear brakes
Visual mods: 19" rim, lower grill mesh, oil pressure and vacuum gauges, engine bay lighting, foot well lights
some of my main mods

Sort by  
 Page 1 of 2  [ 26 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next