Fordmods Logo

BA xr6 Engine ticking / general query 

Page 1 of 2 [ 16 posts ] Go to page 1, 2  Next

Post subject: BA xr6 Engine ticking / general query
Posted: Mon Jul 13, 2009 12:01 am 
Fordmods Newbie

Ride: BA XR6t

VIC, Australia

First of all, I would like to start out by saying that I am not at mechanically minded.

I am looking to purchase a 2003 model xr6 turbo from a Ford Dealership. I took the car for a test drive today and looked at all the usual stuff (make sure the body is straight etc) when i lifted the hood and listened to the engine i could hear a ticking sound coming from the engine, the ticking sound was very audible, regular and constant sound.

I brought this up when i took the car back to the dealer and they said it was perfctly fine and that the noise i was hearing was the injectors and that all cars do it. The noise cannot be heard when the bonnet is closed.

If i go ahead and buy the car, an RACV inspection will be done before i pick it up. Not sure how much weight i should put in to their findings.

Is this ticking noise something i should be concerned about? Is there any other known issues or things i should have checked on a 2003 Ba xr6 Turbo before purchasing it?

Any input would be greatly appreciated.

Post subject: Re: BA xr6 Engine ticking / general query
Posted: Mon Jul 13, 2009 1:25 am 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: BF F6 Tornado - #0077

VIC, Australia

theres a rattle that can come when the exhaust bolts come loose but thats a very different sound.

are we talking a ticking of 2Hz or like 20hz? if its a slow tick i dont know, if its faster its just the injectors

** For Sale ** http://www.fordmods.com/ford-parts-for-sale-f17/assorted-e-series-parts-t124697.html

F6 Tornado 2006 Build

Is it about sex? The engine in my car? Or a cure for cancer?
No?

Then f**k off

Posted: Mon Jul 13, 2009 9:33 am 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 6 images

Ride: 97 EL XR6

Power: 162 rwkw

NSW, Australia

check to see where its coming from, if its from around the intake manifold its the injectors, which is not a problem....

and while your at it, ask them to check if it has ever been re-flashed...

07 BF MKII XR6T
310rwkw @ 13psi - Tuned By CMS

Posted: Mon Jul 13, 2009 10:41 am 
Fordmods Newbie

VIC, Australia

I've found a small picture of an xr6t engine bay, ive circled the general area where the noise is coming from. I'm not very good with cars to be perfectly honest. Very un-australian of me, i know.

Attachments:
xr6.jpg
xr6.jpg [ 21.03 KiB | Viewed 5474 times ]

Posted: Mon Jul 13, 2009 11:07 am 
Tyre Shredder

Ride: FG MK2 XR6T

NSW, Australia

WHere your indicating is just the Injectors. Perfectly normal.

Formerly LV XR5 Turbo, AU Fairmont Ghia V8 & EBII Fairmont I6.

Now......
Feb 2012 FG MK2 XR6 Turbo
- Manual
- Luxury Pack

Posted: Mon Jul 13, 2009 11:20 am 
Fordmods Newbie

VIC, Australia

Thanks for the help all, has set my mind at ease a great deal.

Posted: Mon Jul 13, 2009 11:38 am 

Ride: 93EB Fairmont / BA Falcon XR6T

NSW, Australia

Sooooo are you going to get this animal? :D

93 EB II Fairmon8 with 17' EL GT's / Clear indicators / H.I.Ds / Sports exhaust / Lowered 2' / K&N / XR6 ECU.
2004 BA MKI XR6T in Lightning Strike paint / K&N / XR8 bonnet / BF lights and a few tweaks.

Posted: Mon Jul 13, 2009 12:14 pm 
Fordmods Newbie

VIC, Australia

Looks very much like it;

2003 BA xr6 Turbo
98,000 km's
Vixen Red

Buying it from a Ford dealer, just working out price.

At the moment ive got them to $21k on road. Will go ahead if i can get them to $20k on road. The car is in really condition from what i can see, the usual little bumps you would expect from a 2nd hand car but overall good condition. Drives well and nice and quite but has that feeling that it can be unleashed at any time.

Having owned the following in my life;

1985 XF Faimront Ghia
1988 Honda Prelude
1998 AU Fairmont Ghia

Putting my foot down in the XR blew my mind. VERY quick compared to the others.

Posted: Mon Jul 13, 2009 12:26 pm 

NSW, Australia

Sounds good then. price is not too bad. Just to give you an idea i got mine in 06 with 46k on it and payed 30 grand for it. Now has 91k. They are pretty good cars. I have been very happy with mine and so far have not had any problems with it. I suggest if you get it service the auto and diff. You don't know if its been done ever.

93 EB II Fairmon8 with 17' EL GT's / Clear indicators / H.I.Ds / Sports exhaust / Lowered 2' / K&N / XR6 ECU.
2004 BA MKI XR6T in Lightning Strike paint / K&N / XR8 bonnet / BF lights and a few tweaks.

Posted: Mon Jul 13, 2009 12:41 pm 
Fordmods Newbie

VIC, Australia

Yeah, i will definately be getting the auto serviced.

Was told a few months back when the auto in my Fairmont started to pack up that Ford do not touch the auto's during the service primarily for the fact that they are aware of an issue in the AU's where the oil in the transmission isnt cooled effectively so it burns out real quick. Not sure how much weight to put in that opinion but id rather be safe than sorry with my xr if/when i buy it.

Posted: Mon Jul 13, 2009 1:01 pm 

NSW, Australia

Im not aware of that. But mind you if you give the car continous floggings i suppose the transmission will get quite hot and burn the oil. If that was the case you would fit a better external tranny cooler.

Posted: Mon Jul 13, 2009 1:25 pm 
Fordmods Newbie

VIC, Australia

Yeah, the guy at the transmission place told me thats what i should get. The AU is on its last legs though i assume so i didnt invest in one seeing the auto is pretty much already shot.

On a side note, i mentioned that the car i am looking at has some minor cosmetic things wrong with it and when i say minor, i mean REAL minor. One being a small dent in to boot (size of a 5 cent coin) which is no problem, a smash repair place will make quick work out of that. The window tint is a little shoddy, again an easy fix.

The one thing that i cannot figure out how i would fix would the screen on the centre panel. It has some scratches on it and ideally i would look at getting it replaced. Am i looking at an entirely new panel or can i just get the screen fixed up? if so, what kinda $$ would i be looking at. I wasnt sure if i should start a new thread or not but my title says general enquiries so i thought it might fit in here.

Sorry about throwing all the questions out there but i am pretty damn excited about this car. Cant even concentrate at work

Posted: Mon Jul 13, 2009 1:43 pm 

NSW, Australia

is it the large colour screen or the normal monocrome screen? If they are minor scratches and it works ok i would not stress too much about it. It would be pretty expensive id say to replace either screen. The best thing is just to prevent any more scratches getting on it. You might be able to take it to someone or getting a plastic scratch remover polish similar to what you use to remove scratches from cd's and trying that.

Posted: Mon Jul 13, 2009 6:23 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 8 images

Ride: AUII XR6 Uterus

NSW, Australia

generally if you get a real big screwdriver or something long and solid you can place one end on different things around the engine bay (obviously not objects spinning at high speeds like belts, pulleys or fans) with the other end to your ear,using the process of ellimination, you can pinpoint where noise is coming from.
the biggest thing i noticed when getting rid of the clutch fan on my ea was how noisy the injector operation is without the deafening roar of the fan present.not a b series i know but my bf ones are loud to it's a good sign, usually means that engine is nice n quiet imho.

Not to get technical, but according to chemistry alcohol is a solution.

Posted: Mon Jul 13, 2009 7:36 pm 
Fordmods Newbie

VIC, Australia

All confirmed, i got it for the price i wanted and i pick it up on Friday morning. Cant wait.

Sort by  
 Page 1 of 2  [ 16 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next