Fordmods Logo

BA Xr6 Turbo engine turning off ! 

Page 1 of 1 [ 5 posts ] 

Post subject: BA Xr6 Turbo engine turning off !
Posted: Fri Nov 14, 2008 11:39 am 

Ride: 93EB Fairmont / BA Falcon XR6T

NSW, Australia

My xr6 T engine switched itself off yesterday whilst i was sitting in traffic with the a/c on. I started it again and it started without hesitation and drove perfectly fine. Its now the 2nd time the car has done this since ive had it. I rang Ford and they suggested that its possible that the Throttle body needs to be cleaned and the ECU updated which the car is booked in for monday at a cost of $99. Can anyone tell me if they are correct in what they are saying and im not wasting my time doing this, or can it be something else. Cheers.

93 EB II Fairmon8 with 17' EL GT's / Clear indicators / H.I.Ds / Sports exhaust / Lowered 2' / K&N / XR6 ECU.
2004 BA MKI XR6T in Lightning Strike paint / K&N / XR8 bonnet / BF lights and a few tweaks.

Posted: Fri Nov 14, 2008 3:27 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: 2010 Nitro Blue FG

VIC, Australia

Its quitre possibly the ECU needs re flashing and updating. As for the throttle body, clean it yourself with some carby cleaner, squirt some into the throttle body and clean out the carbon build up. Also, it may have overheated? try installing a lower temp thermostat so the thermo fans kick in earlier. My 2c

The boogieman checks under his bed for chuck norris

Posted: Fri Nov 14, 2008 4:12 pm 

Ride: 93EB Fairmont / BA Falcon XR6T

NSW, Australia

Definately hasn"t overheated the temp dosent go over half way.
I do appreciate the suggestion though. :)

93 EB II Fairmon8 with 17' EL GT's / Clear indicators / H.I.Ds / Sports exhaust / Lowered 2' / K&N / XR6 ECU.
2004 BA MKI XR6T in Lightning Strike paint / K&N / XR8 bonnet / BF lights and a few tweaks.

Posted: Fri Nov 14, 2008 4:22 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 21 images

Ride: 98 EL Futura

Power: 199 rwkw

VIC, Australia

That happened to my dad BA MKII XR6t a few times, it turned out it was a faulty coil pack.

EL Futura: CVE head, Wolf V500, ICE Ignition and Coil, 36lb injectors, Walbro 255lb, Paci comps, 3" exhaust, T5, Harrop Truetrac with 3.9s. Now with 198.9rwkw, (~185rwkw and 13.80 @99.1mph) with more power to come

Posted: Fri Nov 14, 2008 10:11 pm 
Parts Gopher

Ride: XC GXL

WA, Australia

It could be a lot of different things making it cut out,
Be careful with the carby cleaner, it gets into the TPS and will -lo and behold- make it cut out. Ford will check it for codes, and that will set them in the right direction. Which direction they take depends on the dealers talent pool in the workshop, but theyve got the best diagnostic programmes for BA onwards. Make sure you tell them if its been tuned.

XC GXL 5.8: 14.1 @ 99MPH. Thank you to Jimbos alchoholic uncle for the short motor. It goes alright now mate.

Sort by  
 Page 1 of 1  [ 5 posts ]