Fordmods Logo

ba xr6 turbo ,what to look out for ? 

Page 1 of 1 [ 6 posts ] 

Post subject: ba xr6 turbo ,what to look out for ?
Posted: Sat Jan 25, 2014 12:04 pm 
Smokin em up

Ride: BA Ford Falcon V8 Ute

QLD, Australia

just found a xr6 turbo (damaged) to swap into my ba xt v8 (warn out engine ) the wreck has a modified engine about 300 rwkw ,bigger injectors front mount intercooler tune and valve springs and it is a 4 speed auto . he is asking for $3000 or nearest offer . what do i have to watch out for the engine has 108000 on the clock

Post subject: Re: ba xr6 turbo ,what to look out for ?
Posted: Sat Jan 25, 2014 12:14 pm 
Smokin em up

QLD, Australia

sorry its a complete car for sale ,it has damage to side of car (engine all good and box )

Posted: Sat Jan 25, 2014 1:07 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 32 images

Ride: BA XR6T (mix of BA, BF and FG)

WA, Australia

good low km.. in my case the biggest fail is my auto.. I had to change the extension housing when i got it and when I did I noticed that the output shaft was pretty sloppy.. more so than any of my old EL BTR's, I am swapping to a T56 as soon as I can find a good conversion under 2k.. as for the engine, dunno, guess it depends what he did with those 300rwkw and for how long.

compression test to check for variance between cylinders, take the intake pipe off the turbo and feel for excessive bearing slop, other than that just the normal stuff you check on an engine.. stick your finger as far up the exhaust as you can and see what is deposited on your finger.. if it's oily thats bad.. if it is brown->dark grey/black and powery.. that means no oil.. if it's totally black powder it's probably been running rich but still has no oil in it which is the main thing.

Posted: Sat Jan 25, 2014 8:22 pm 
Smokin em up

QLD, Australia

frankieh wrote:
good low km.. in my case the biggest fail is my auto.. I had to change the extension housing when i got it and when I did I noticed that the output shaft was pretty sloppy.. more so than any of my old EL BTR's, I am swapping to a T56 as soon as I can find a good conversion under 2k.. as for the engine, dunno, guess it depends what he did with those 300rwkw and for how long.

compression test to check for variance between cylinders, take the intake pipe off the turbo and feel for excessive bearing slop, other than that just the normal stuff you check on an engine.. stick your finger as far up the exhaust as you can and see what is deposited on your finger.. if it's oily thats bad.. if it is brown->dark grey/black and powery.. that means no oil.. if it's totally black powder it's probably been running rich but still has no oil in it which is the main thing.

thanks mate but just bought the hole car for a song .the car has alot of nismo parts about $7000 of invoices just for the engine up grades .i paid only $2400 for it .the only bad news it did not start but good oil pressure and no nocks i had to take a gamble .it has time slip from the drags 12.355@112.26 mph

Posted: Sun Jan 26, 2014 1:39 am 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 32 images

Ride: BA XR6T (mix of BA, BF and FG)

WA, Australia

gunna wrote:
frankieh wrote:

thanks mate but just bought the hole car for a song .the car has alot of nismo parts about $7000 of invoices just for the engine up grades .i paid only $2400 for it .the only bad news it did not start but good oil pressure and no nocks i had to take a gamble .it has time slip from the drags 12.355@112.26 mph

For a whole car of spares and an turbo upgrade thats a bargain.... Did he have the btr auto rebuilt stronger? Seems like 300kw and 12 second quarters would kill the stock xr6t btr pretty quick... But then again I am basing that on my own car and I dont know how powerful that was before I bought it.. It has a modded wastegate and some other things that makes me think that perhaps it was a pretty hot beast at some stage. Perhaps that is why my btr auto is bagged out.

Good buy, congrats.

Posted: Sun Jan 26, 2014 7:53 am 
Smokin em up

QLD, Australia

yes i hope it is in good shape ,it was not rebuild or strengthened by the last owner .might get it pulled apart an fit some au parts to it (i work next to a automatic place )i will see what they say on tuesday when i go back to work .

Sort by  
 Page 1 of 1  [ 6 posts ]