BA XR6T Engine Light + Rough Idling Issue 

Page 1 of 1 [ 6 posts ] 

Post subject: BA XR6T Engine Light + Rough Idling Issue
Posted: Tue Feb 21, 2012 3:31 pm 
Fordmods Newbie

Ride: BA MkII XR6T

QLD, Australia

Afternoon Gents.

I've gone and bought a 2005 BA XR6T locally here up in Mackay, however I'm having a few issues with the thing. I've tried searching the forums but most threads seem to answer problems which dont' specifically relate to my issues.

The basic problem is that my engine light will flick on while I'm cruising around at low speed or idle, and the engine gets very chunky with revs shuddering between 1500 and 300 RPM. The tacho just bounces around and the whole car rumbles. You can flatten the accelerator and the revs will go to 1500 RPM at max. Ignition off, then back on again usually fixes it. It'll happen maybe once or twice a week, though it has gotten pretty bad before where it'll stall out and not want to run again for a good few minutes.

For awhile I thought it may have been a fuel-related issue as it tended to occur when I was under 1/4 tank of fuel whilst turning a corner or coming off a roundabout. However just the other day it happened while I was on the highway with a full tank.

Also it's worth mentioning that whilst under load the engine 'shudders' as well, usually around the 80km/h mark, as if the motor is hesitating. You can shudder on with your foot flat, but it'll just keep hesitating until suddenly it'll break free and accellerate. This may be a separate issue completely.

Some background on the car: It is a 6 spd manual and has done around 170,000km, and had a turbo actuator perforation when I bought it, causing some minor dramas at high revs. It only has 1 mod in it at the moment: I installed an 8 pound actuator and flash-tuned it through one of the local Ford mechanical gurus here in QLD (Dave Sheehy - He works from his home, though he comes highly recommended by nearly every mechanic this side of QLD for anything turbo that has a Ford badge on it). I was intent on putting the stock actuator in, however I couldn't find any locally for less than some ridiculous amount of money, and having the option to go bigger and better with performance upgrades and tuning later on down the track seemed like a good idea.

I've seen that a lot of guys here have Throttle Body Switch issues, and I wouldn't mind having a mechanic look over the error codes produced by the car, however the local Ford mechanics here have a pretty average reputation for generally being hopeless and/or expensive. I'm just not sure which direction to go, but the car needs to be in good shape to travel to Canberra in the coming month.

Any help and/or opinions would be appreciated.

Post subject: Re: BA XR6T Engine Light + Rough Idling Issue
Posted: Tue Feb 21, 2012 4:21 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 5 images

Ride: EL XR6

NSW, Australia

Check the fuel pump.
Not sure what the engine light means on ba-> unfortunately.
Sounds like it could be a fuel issue or possibly overboosting?
Didnt think these came with a boost controller either...

LOW, LOUD AND LUMPY

Posted: Tue Feb 21, 2012 4:39 pm 
Fordmods Newbie

QLD, Australia

I thought it could be a either a fuel pump or throttle body issue. It -did- overboost when it had a perforated turbo actuator, however this issue was resolved with the new actuator/flash tune. It runs at 9-10 psi and is tuned to taper down to 7-8 psi at high revs.

Posted: Wed Feb 22, 2012 11:40 pm 
Stock as a Rock

Ride: 1992 Ford Eb Series 2

I had this happen to me one day, i flat footed in when it was cold right after jumping it after work..Guess the ba didnt like the idea and pretty much slapped me in the face lol..Had no acceleration from the car & the light came on, ran chunky so i turned it off..turned it back on..Ran like normal again?..Wouldn't have a clue..dunno if me tellin u this helps..but its only happened when ive done this. hope it works out for u

Posted: Sun Feb 26, 2012 6:09 pm 
Fordmods Newbie

QLD, Australia

Bump. Surely someone has heard of these issues before?

Posted: Sun Feb 26, 2012 9:29 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: Falcon

NSW, Australia

the first thing that needs to be done is put a scan tool on it !!!.... the engine check light on the dash is telling you something or if anyone nows how to read live data that will tell you or at least point you in the right direction..... or down load live link from Herrod motorsport & use your SCTx3 unit to data log a drive then post it up or sent it to me or on the off chance stall it up & see if it misfires on the stall if it dose then it the coils or plugs..

Sort by  
 Page 1 of 1  [ 6 posts ]