Fordmods Logo

BA XT choking 

Page 1 of 1 [ 14 posts ] 

Post subject: BA XT choking
Posted: Sun Jun 24, 2007 8:17 pm 
Oompa Loompa

Ride: BA XT

NSW, Australia

just like some advice from anybody who mite have some more mechanical knowledge than me..

My BA lately has been making choking noises or coughing as i take off in it, its not exactly backfiring but its loses power when it cuts out with the choking you can hear thru the exhaust. Ive got extractors and high flow exhaust system and CAI but havnt tuned it. what could be the problem????

could it be just that it needs a tune, cause its throwing in too much fuel than what can be burnt, or is it injector probs or sumthing worse...??

any advice would help
cheers!

[FUNK.XT]

Posted: Sun Jun 24, 2007 8:24 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 2 images

Ride: ef 5 speed

VIC, Australia

sounds like it needs a tune could be ecu because the computer controls the idille and all the stuff

i am in need of a new front bar or good condation secondhand for a 95 ef futra,
lsd for a for ef ,modifed au sump to go in and ef , working air con compressor

Posted: Sun Jun 24, 2007 8:42 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 10 images

Ride: 07 BF mk2 E-gas wagon + eb 5.0

Power: 174 rwkw

SA, Australia

nothing to tune really on a ba. just plugs and air filter. they do have a much more advanced computer than previous models though regarding fault codes and diagnosis. just plug em in and scan through all the various sensors and systems. should show up any major problem.

eb v8: low loud and fast. just how a v8 should be. i guess the big question is, is it fast enough...

Posted: Sun Jun 24, 2007 8:46 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 2 images

Ride: ef 5 speed

VIC, Australia

depends what system computer you have

i am in need of a new front bar or good condation secondhand for a 95 ef futra,
lsd for a for ef ,modifed au sump to go in and ef , working air con compressor

Posted: Sun Jun 24, 2007 9:01 pm 
Oompa Loompa

Ride: BA XT

NSW, Australia

I dont have any system on it, im looking at getting it tuned with a chip, but im just worried that the problems nothing worse thna needing a chip?

what do u guys all think?

[FUNK.XT]

Posted: Sun Jun 24, 2007 9:31 pm 
Getting Side Ways

SA, Australia

it shouldn't need a chip if all you've done is just exhaust and intake mods. if you do want to edit it get a flash tuner from capa. kpm motorsport here in s.a. is doing a special at the moment until 30th june - $695 i think.

eb v8: low loud and fast. just how a v8 should be. i guess the big question is, is it fast enough...

Posted: Sun Jun 24, 2007 10:25 pm 
Parts Gopher

Ride: ed farimont

NSW, Australia

check the conection plug to the ecu.my friends one done that and when i checked the ecu plug.it was out of its socket a bit.when i put it back againg.it disapearded for good.try thay.any one agree.?stef

thanks guys

Posted: Mon Jun 25, 2007 1:06 am 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: BA XT, BA XR6T, ED Ghia 5.0

WA, Australia

Might be a coilpack or a plug causing a missfire. BA's run six coilpacks for each cylinder.

What's the difference between a Holden and a sheep? It's less embarrasing getting out of the back of a sheep..

Posted: Mon Jun 25, 2007 3:32 am 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 1 images

Ride: 2003 BA XT

Power: 141 rwkw

WA, Australia

ilovmel wrote:
depends what system computer you have

What the hell are you talking about?

'system computer' ? I assume you mean ecu.

In BA's most people just run the standard ecu as you can change the tune as much as you like with a flash tuner. I don't think I've seen a BA with an after market ecu yet...

Posted: Thu Jul 05, 2007 1:01 am 
Smokin em up

Ride: Custom Bedford, 79 Firebird

WA, Australia

Yeah, you're all semi right, there are many minorities that could be causing problems of that nature..

Have you tried running a GOOD injector cleaner through your car? Don't just get cheap s**t, if you can't get Ultrafuel addative (which unless someone else in the know, or myself, gets it for you - then you can't) get the redline injector cleaner. It's the only other injector cleaner that'll freshen up AND descum your injectors, it's a cheapish fix.

Sounds to me like you're getting a bit of fuel into the engine and are unable to burn it, whether this is a constant problem or intermittant problem is another story. Could be a coil pack, or could be a dirty electrode on a sparkplug. Or clean/change your air filter - well worth it.

Have a look at your oil, if it's dirty as a hooker on a friday night - change it! (*Note to self* especially before dyno runs!!) Better yet put in a good addative.

If that all fails to improve, it may be a throttle sensor, or even a dirty throttle body. For the 10mins effort, it's worth pulling the throttle body off regularly anyway, easy to clean, good results. If you're daring pull off the intake manifold also, even if only the top half - you can clean the butterflies for a decent improvement.

but as for your 'system computer' if it's the stock ecu you'll be able to do very little unless you get a flash tuner with a generic(or specific) tune.

If you're running a custom hardwired ecu, you'll have to go back to the guys that have installed it, or someone else with similar skills. I know of a few ecu options with varying results.. it's just easier to plug and play with a flash tuner. NOT THAT YOU SHOULD NEED A TUNE

I hope this is some insight..

Happy Motoring!
MaTTe

Wrecking BA lots of parts available Pictures and prices here
3 Decks with stackers PRICE DROP

Posted: Thu Jul 05, 2007 9:11 am 
Getting Side Ways

SA, Australia

MaTTeB wrote:
Have a look at your oil, if it's dirty as a hooker on a friday night - change it! (*Note to self* especially before dyno runs!!) Better yet put in a good addative.

MaTTe

couldn't disagree more!! use good oil, preferably full synthetic. use correct weight (10/30 for ba) and DON'T put additives in your oil. more than likely the product you are adding is already in there or a product that achieves the same result. oil companies spend a lot of money on their oils and these days they come with all sorts of different properties. the colour of the oil is no longer a 100% indication of the condition of the engine as most oils have cleaning agents in them and ALL engines have carbon build up in one form or another.

using the full synthetic oils will not gain you a good result straight up but the guy who buys your car after 200000km's will thank you for it. they do substantially increase the life of the engine.

i had a ef xr6 wagon and had the head off that at about 230000km and the mechanic couldn't believe how clean it was. oil used was helix ultra. sold the car at just under 300000km and the guy who bought it couldn't believe it had done that many km's as it still went hard.

sorry to go off topic but as you can tell, i'm a believer in the good oils.

Posted: Wed Aug 15, 2007 8:20 pm 
Smokin em up

Ride: Custom Bedford, 79 Firebird

WA, Australia

Quote:
Prydey said:
couldn't disagree more!! use good oil, preferably full synthetic. use correct weight (10/30 for ba) and DON'T put additives in your oil. more than likely the product you are adding is already in there or a product that achieves the same result. oil companies spend a lot of money on their oils and these days they come with all sorts of different properties. the colour of the oil is no longer a 100% indication of the condition of the engine as most oils have cleaning agents in them and ALL engines have carbon build up in one form or another.

using the full synthetic oils will not gain you a good result straight up but the guy who buys your car after 200000km's will thank you for it. they do substantially increase the life of the engine.

I couldn't agree more - to an extent!
If your oil is dirty its dirty, if you can't see any resemblence to honey in the color of your oil, change it. If it has dark tinting to it, then by all means give it another 5000kms with regular checking.
And in terms of addatives, I said GOOD addative. Not cheap s**t store bought attempts.

I'll put you onto one of two addatives that will make you wish you'd used them all your life in each of your cars. But it's all about knowledge, experience, and accessability.

And, No oils don't contain THESE addatives as standard. I could rant and rave about them all day, but it'll only look like I'm trying to sell something.

I have had the quality proven on many occasions, I have the technical data to prove them, and NASA do a massive amount of testing on all products before even considering putting them into their engines, so there must be some value to it all, don't you think?

sorry to steal the thread, I'd dissrespect most addatives too, but if you need to be informed on what's good, I'll go into greater detail about it with you later. I have more information than you can handle..

so a recap - as Prydey said, don't add cheap addatives from your local auto store, use good oil, or good oil and GOOD addative.

Happy Motoring.

Wrecking BA lots of parts available Pictures and prices here
3 Decks with stackers PRICE DROP

Posted: Wed Aug 15, 2007 8:52 pm 
Stock as a Rock

Ride: EB Falcon

NSW, Australia

sounds like plugs or a spark brake down or low fuel pressure maybe or s**t fuel even cloged fuel fillter could even be injectors

God made Holdens to keep d**k Heads out of FORDS

Posted: Thu Aug 16, 2007 1:26 am 
Technical Contributor

Gallery: 4 images

Ride: LS3 VF

WA, Australia

could also be a blocked (or partially blocked) cat

Sort by  
 Page 1 of 1  [ 14 posts ]